Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 22khz mp3s sound really bad (Read 4051 times) previous topic - next topic

22khz mp3s sound really bad

Sorry if this is a known issue but I have looked around and can't find anything, but when using the latest version of foobar2k I have found all my 22khz mp3's sound really really awful. I can't seem to find any settings anywhere for the mp3 decoder and I've tried different output settings, here is a sample where it is very obvious.

Foobar sample

Winamp sample

Now I know that the winamp sample is 44khz whereas the other is not, but that's just because winamp is silly and foobar isn't, that is exactly how they sound out of my speakers.

Can anyone help?

Reply #1
which Soundcard?
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #2
which Soundcard?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=255430"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hercules Fortissimo 3

Reply #3
Perhaps you should upload the MP3 file for reference.

Reply #4
Okey dokey then, however I'm not too sure of the deal with uploading files here, i've uploaded the whole song if this is not the done thing I'll cut it with mp3directcut and stick up only a sample.

http://users.tpg.com.au/malinong/crypt.mp3

Reply #5
problem appeared
with direct sound output, not with wave.

when play 22 khz file after 44khz file
problem "solved" when use resampling at 44khz
or
when play 44 khz file after 48 khz file
problem "solved" when use resampling at 48khz

tried with no dsp
my soundcard is terratec DMX 6fire, samplerate isn't locked, win xp pro sp1 , foobar 0.83

sorry for my bad english
Music is my first love.

Reply #6
I think I get what you are saying, however none of those seem to work for me, I've tried every combination of resampling or lack thereof, direct sound and wave, no dsp. I don't think it's something wrong with the mp3 as it plays fine in everything else I've tried it in. I'm at a loss for other settings to fiddle with 

Reply #7
mpglib (which fb2k's default encoder is based on) is known to have issues with decoding of mpeg 2.0/2.5 files like the one you posted.

if you direly need to play such files, you can use the alternative mp3 decoder foo_mad which is available at http://www.saunalahti.fi/cse/kode54/index.php (after installing it, you will have to enable it by going to Preferences -> Playback -> Input -> Standard inputs and select it from the dropdown list at the bottom of the configuration pane)

So yes, it's a known decoder related issue. Fixing it has low priority at the moment though.
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

Reply #8
ssamadhi97,
i have the same problem with Ogg files.

and only with Direct sound output , NOT with Wave or kernel streaming
Music is my first love.

Reply #9
ssamadhi97,

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=255515"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, you suffer from broken soundcard drivers. (as opposed to the original poster of this thread, it seems)

Just use one of the resampler dsps, that's pretty much what they're there for.
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

Reply #10
Thanks a bunch, MAD works just fine.

Reply #11
ssamadhi97,

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=255515"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, you suffer from broken soundcard drivers. (as opposed to the original poster of this thread, it seems)

Just use one of the resampler dsps, that's pretty much what they're there for.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=255522"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i have installed SP 2 for windows XP and now work fine, thank you
Music is my first love.