Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Encoder VERSION playlist display string? (Read 3623 times) previous topic - next topic

Encoder VERSION playlist display string?

I've been looking around for the playlist formatting string to display the version of the encoder used for a file... this is mainly pertinent to my collection of dusty old MP3s from before I knew that Xing was crap, and exclusively used EAC with the latest lame.

Also, it's useful for determining which MP3s have replaygain info that was added the quick way with later encoders.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=19498
shows how to display the codec, but I need to actually show the specific version of the encoder used.  Just showing "mp3" isn't detailed enough for me in this case.

Thanks!

P.S.  is there a very comprehensive version of a document dealing with these formatting strings in foobar2000 that I should know about?

Reply #1
I've been looking around for the playlist formatting string to display the version of the encoder used for a file... this is mainly pertinent to my collection of dusty old MP3s from before I knew that Xing was crap, and exclusively used EAC with the latest lame.

Also, it's useful for determining which MP3s have replaygain info that was added the quick way with later encoders.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=19498
shows how to display the codec, but I need to actually show the specific version of the encoder used.  Just showing "mp3" isn't detailed enough for me in this case.

Thanks!

P.S.  is there a very comprehensive version of a document dealing with these formatting strings in foobar2000 that I should know about?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=254220"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've been looking for a comprehensive guide to the scripting as well.  The help file doesn't really cover much.  Most of my strings aren't even listed in it.  Btw, while I am not positive, I don't think there are many ways to tell encoder versions apart unless it is embedded into the file or tag when it was made.  Like vorbis and flac do.  It would (i think) be impossible to distinguish for example, wavpack 4.1 encoded files from 4.2 unless it was encoded as part the file.  I always add a special tag with the encoder version and settings I used.  Obviously useless unless you encode the files yourself.

Reply #2
The information that I speak of IS embedded in the file somewhere (at least with most codecs, and for sure MP3).  I have been using a tagging program called "The GodFather" ( http://users.otenet.gr/~jtcliper/tgf/ )which has some pretty neat capabilities, one of them being to view a database of your music and sort by encoder version.

This program has no problem displaying this data for you, and I find it good to know at times.

It's in a box showing "Mpeg" information that looks like so:
Code: [Select]
Version     = MPEG 1
Layer       = Layer III
BitRate     = 186
VBR         = *
SampleRate  = 44100
ChannelMode = Joint Stereo
Duration    = 07:36
Emphasis    = None
Encoder     = LAME 3.92
File Length = 10,621,056 bytes

Perhaps knowing this, if one knows how to get special mpeg info, like ChannelMode, one could make an educated guess as to what the "Encoder" formatting string would look like...

ideas anyone?

Reply #3
This is covered in the help file, but I'll try to explain it anyway:

This is the relevant part in the help file:
%__fieldname%  inserts tech info field named <fieldname>  %__bitrate%
So, if you look at the properties of a file in foobar, you'll see some tech info to the right. All of this can be used the way the quote explains.

Example:
If tech info says: mp3_stereo_mode = joint stereo
Then you can use the following in you formatting string: %__mp3_stereo_mode%
That will give you the output: joint stereo

Some others:
%__channels%
%__samplerate%
%__bitrate%
%__bitrate_dynamic%  (in case you have enabled dynamic info)
%__extrainfo%  (gives you "VBR" info)

Any clearer?

Edit: Just to make sure, it's a double underscore, not a single one, but I guess you can see that. 

Reply #6
Technical details is good, but the main goal is to get info about the ENCODER...[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=254555"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ok, let's clarify it a bit. Some of the info he wants is already there, and covered in the link he provided in his first post, that I forgot to read. That's the reason why I managed to pretty much duplicate it 

To my knowledge, info about the ENCODER is a mix of reading the tag info that newer Lame versions adds, and doing an educated guess like Encspot and Mr QuestionMan can do. So, adding ENCODER to the formatting in general, isn't possible and this would require that someone makes a new plugin, or that you use the tools mentioned, and add these tags manually. Am I right?

Reply #7
Technical details is good, but the main goal is to get info about the ENCODER...[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=254555"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

To my knowledge, info about the ENCODER is a mix of reading the tag info that newer Lame versions adds, and doing an educated guess like Encspot and Mr QuestionMan can do. So, adding ENCODER to the formatting in general, isn't possible and this would require that someone makes a new plugin, or that you use the tools mentioned, and add these tags manually. Am I right?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=254563"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes. And I think a plugin that writes guessed encoder into tags is a better way (eg. like foo_SetDate)...

Reply #8
Ah, thanks for the links WhiteLion.

EncSpot looks very handy, and I have not been aware of its existence until now, but that allows me to do much of what I want to do... check the quality and integrity of MP3 files.

What would be REALLY cool is if there were a scanner built into foobar2000 that would check for this kind of information in MP3s or other media files.  Kind of like foobar being used as a front-end for EncSpot.  At least something that can tell what encoder was used would be neat.

I didn't know that it was a fairly complex software routine.  I thought that The GodFather just was able to read that in an MPEG header or some such thing.

Reply #9
What would be REALLY cool is if there were a scanner built into foobar2000 that would check for this kind of information in MP3s or other media files.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=254760"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yep!