Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Two word genres not transcoding (Read 2496 times) previous topic - next topic

Two word genres not transcoding

I used foobar to transcode some Ogg files into MP3 and noticed that for any tracks where the genre is two words, e.g. "Country Rock", the genre tag did not come over to the new file.  The field is blank.

One word genres, like "Rock" or "R&B" seem to work fine.

Hmm, should I have expected that?

Thanks.

Reply #1
Uh, sorry, I'm wrong about this.  Or, it's more complicated than I've as yet been able to figure out.

Last night, I transcoded four albums: one "Rock", one "R&B", and two "Country Rock".  The genre tag on the first two came over fine, but the second two came out blank.  I concluded it must be because the genre tag was two words.  But, this morning I tried a fifth album genre "Heavy Metal" and it worked fine.

Who knows?

Reply #2
Are you using ID3v1 only?  It doesn't support custom genre fields like APEv2 does.

Reply #3
I'm using the default settings for the full foobar 8.3 install: both ID3v1 and APEv2 tags.

Thanks.