Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Strange breaks any 1.5 seconds, why? (Read 4525 times) previous topic - next topic

Strange breaks any 1.5 seconds, why?

I've got some serious problem in playing music with fb2k. I've recorded the problem, see following ogg file: (386kB, awfully overdriven but you hear the problem rightclick-->Save as...)

So there are breaks (or is the right term "skips"?) in the track. I was thinking about some codec problem as I installed Nimos codec pack a couple of days ago because of video problems. But how to solve?

- a fresh minimum install of fb2k does play properly.
- winamp plays properly
- any wave editor play properly

The "broken" fb2k does not play tracks properly (wav, mp3, ogg...) in any case. No matter what output I choose (kernel streaming, direct sound II etc..., I know I have to restart fb2k when choosing kernel streaming) fb2k always plays tracks badly. I've got lots of modules in my modules directory, but no active dsp.

Help!

Reply #1
codec packs shouldn't matter because fb2k generally doesn't use external codecs for anything. (they are, however, the spawn of satan! avoid!  )

maybe your output buffer / playback thread priority settings are messed up? just a thought; I don't really have any idea what might be wrong..
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

Reply #2
I think it plays back badly on fb2k here too (fades out and back in every second or so), but ATM have no time to investigate it...

Reply #3
If I reset settings (or delete the .conf) the problem is gone, no time to find out at the moment- very strange. The typical candidates weren't the problem (priority, caching...) Its a problem I find only in this track, a 128kbps mp3. But also in its wav complement... hmmm....

Reply #4
codec packs shouldn't matter because fb2k generally doesn't use external codecs for anything. (they are, however, the spawn of satan! avoid!  )
Especially video codecs ARE SATAN. VIDEO ON PC IS SATAN

Reply #5
Its a problem I find only in this track, a 128kbps mp3. But also in its wav complement... hmmm....
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=254135"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I thought the problem was with all files?
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

Reply #6
I thought the problem was with all files?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=254151"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes I was wrong. It happened only in this one track. I opened this mp3 file with a wave editor and saved it to wav. Even this wave file had above problem, it was strange.

I've made several changes to my columns ui configuration, changed some dlls, switched to DirectSoundv2.5, and the problem is simply gone. I don't know why, unfortunately...

Sorry for wasting your time 

Reply #7
Guy, get a grip, first you said that only fb2k plays that file badly and that all the other players play it fine, now you say that even some wav editor decoded it badly. You say the problem is with mp3 but you uploaded ogg. 
I tried that ogg file with another player (AyEmul) and there are these breaks too, so either upload the ORIGINAL file which plays correctly on everything except fb2k, or admit that it was a false alarm instead of magic changes you did to your configuration.

Reply #8
Guy, get a grip, first you said that only fb2k plays that file badly and that all the other players play it fine, now you say that even some wav editor decoded it badly.
NOOO! The wave editor decoded correctly. The wave editor then played the wave file correctly. But the broken fb2k then played the wave file not correctly!

You say the problem is with mp3 but you uploaded ogg.
For political and filesize purposes only. I simply played the track in fb2k, recorded the broken output with a wave editor, then encoded it. It could have been any format.

The original mp3 is on http://autechre.de/etc/sdss.mp3, its hard cut (with a hex editor) at 1/10 of length.

Reply #9
That mp3 seems to play fine here, but these are just drum beats so it would be hard to hear the breaks. Can you upload the same fragment as you did in ogg file (but coming from the original mp3 of course)?
Waveform of this also looks normal, while the breaks from ogg file seem to come from waveform getting dragged down to negative values, kinda clipping...

Reply #10
That mp3 seems to play fine here, but these are just drum beats so it would be hard to hear the breaks.
When I had this problem, it was really easy to hear these skips also in the beginning of the track, believe me.
Can you upload the same fragment as you did in ogg file (but coming from the original mp3 of course)?
Waveform of this also looks normal, while the breaks from ogg file seem to come from waveform getting dragged down to negative values, kinda clipping...
Yes, I've seen that waveform as well... Thanks for your effort, the original complete mp3 is at h t t p : / /autechre.de/etc/dalglish_sdss.mp3, the fragment is at ~3:00. Sorry I've made URL non clickable as I don't want too much traffic...

The thing is, I probably would have found out what the problem was... I wanted to setup a second instance of fb2k and compare any fucking parameter. Unfortunately the problem has gone by accident