Skip to main content
Topic: Linux CD/audio software? (Read 3047 times) previous topic - next topic

Linux CD/audio software?

I started using Linux about a month ago, and now, when I got all the system-setup fuss behind me, I wanted to do something else on Linux beside installing programs, reading e-mail and browsing the web. The first thing I did was install xmms, and after  a few minutes I was disgusted with its backwardness and lack of options. After a bit of research I found that xmms was regarded as the best audio player for Linux. But for me, it has a long way to go before it reaches the perfection of foobar2000 on Windows. (which I have succesfully started using Wine). Next, I downloaded and compiled grip, cdparanoia and LAME. I carefully studied the documentation for those programs, but to no avail - no matter what setup I tried in grip, I could only make it rip a cd, encoding just didn't work.  After fiddling with grip and xmms, I searched the internet for a day or two, and after trying out all players I could find, I decided that I will stick to foobar for my listening needs. But I am still in search for a LAME frontend for linux - I tried running AdvaLAME using Wine, but it wouldn't even start encoding. So I'm asking the Linux users on HydrogenAudio for a suggestion, because I don't want to manually encode every wav file I rip.

thanks!

Linux CD/audio software?

Reply #1
ANother common player would be Rhythmbox which has sort of a foobar list of known groups and albums. 

Jreceiver is a little more complicated to set up but has a SQL database, is accessed by a web browser, and can supply streams to remote computers or digital appliances.

Hard to say why grip isn't working for you.  It just kicks the wav file out to the encoder using a line command you configure yourself (under the config->encode tabs).  Are you able to encode to lame manually from a wav file?

Linux CD/audio software?

Reply #2
ANother common player would be Rhythmbox which has sort of a foobar list of known groups and albums.  [a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=251213"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've tried rhytmbox, but it crashed when I tried to play a cd

Hard to say why grip isn't working for you.  It just kicks the wav file out to the encoder using a line command you configure yourself (under the config->encode tabs).  Are you able to encode to lame manually from a wav file?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=251213"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

yes, but I had to manually encode every file in a directory - is there a command for batch-file converting? (convert several files with one command)

Linux CD/audio software?

Reply #3
Stuff like this was one of the reasons I quit using Linux. I tried it for a while, but Linux software tends to be deficient in terms of UI and feature-set. I eventually got Windows 2000, which gave me the stability I was looking for, and a few other programs like Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird, and Foorbar2000 to replace the terrible alternatives Windows ships with.

Linux CD/audio software?

Reply #4
I'm  not a Linux expert by any means, nor am I an mp3 user, but I've tried the following and it works on my machine.

Config -> Encoder

Encoder : lame
Encoder executable: /usr/bin/lame (check and make sure the path is correct and that lame is executable)
Encoder command-line: --preset standard %w %m
Encode file extension: mp3
Encode file format: ~/%A/%d/%t.%n.%x
--
Eric

Linux CD/audio software?

Reply #5
yes, but I had to manually encode every file in a directory - is there a command for batch-file converting? (convert several files with one command)
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=251233"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't use lame from a command line, but say the command is just "lame" which takes
a wav file and outputs the same name with a .mp3 extension:

THen in cshell it would be:

foreach x (file1.wav file2.wav file3.wav)
    lame $x
    end

You can use wildcards in the list : (*.wav) to do a whole directory.

Linux CD/audio software?

Reply #6
There are many applications for cd ripping and encoding available. Both for GUI and command line shells.

I haven't used it but ripperx is a GUI app you might want to try. Sound-Juicer is another easy to use app. If I'm not wrong KDEs filebrowser enables you to easily drag and drop songs you want to rip and encode from audio cds.

An example for a good command line app is jack. abcde is said to be quite usable too, but I can't comment on that.

Aside from that, which GNU/Linux Distribution do you use?

Regards, David

Linux CD/audio software?

Reply #7
distro: debian unstable
cli: cdrecord
gui: k3b, grip

later

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2018