Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Using C2 in EAC (Read 2908 times) previous topic - next topic

Using C2 in EAC

Hi,

I'm trying to set EAC V0.9 beta 4, for the best extraction method.

I detected the read features on my drive, and they said -

Acccurate Stream - YES
Caching                - NO
C2 Error Info        - YES

Then i pressed 'Examine C2 Features...'
And it said 'C2 Errors Found'

Sooooo..... ->

I chose 'Secure Mode'...

The 'Drive has 'Accurate Stream' feature' was checked and greyed out.
I left the 'Drive caches audio data' unchecked
And i checked the 'Drive is capable of retrieving C2 error informations'

However, when it came to the 'Use C2 error information for error correction' i'm a bit unsure wheather i should check it or not. There are so many warnings about being sure your C2 routines are correct, and that your drive isn't giving false readings, that I'm cautious about checking this feature....

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Using C2 in EAC

Reply #1
This should have been posted in the CDR forum, please someone move it.

The second C2 check box has nothing to do with C2 reliability. It tells EAC to perform glitch removal on the fly on the spots where C2 errors occur.
It's not very effective. It seems it's better no to check it and use deglitch.exe instead if there are errors.

As for C2 reliability, it's still an unknown zone. In fact, many failure that would have been blamed on C2 reliability were found to be still there without the use of C2.

I've got a
Memorex DVDmaxx1648.

I set C2 on. For casual extraction (example : the listening test samples CD vs LP), I just use it as it is, checking that quality is 100% (no C2 error detected).
If there is less than 100%, or if I want a backup copy of a CD, I then keep C2 on, but perform a "test and copy" instead of just a copy.
This way I get a double check : C2 in addition to CRC.

I chose so also because of the speed of the Memorex : 18 to 30x with C2 on. And around 6x to ?x, if I remember well with C2 off+cache on. Therefore it's both faster and safer to perform a test and copy with C2 on and cache off, than a single extraction with C2 off and cache on.

Using C2 in EAC

Reply #2
Hi,

thanks for putting me in the right forum....

Now you said - 'If there is less than 100%, or if I want a backup copy of a CD, I then keep C2 on, but perform a "test and copy" instead of just a copy.'

Does that mean that when EAC reports - 'Track Quality 97.5%' - that there are errors in the extraction and i should use "test and copy" and do it again. Or should i use deglitch.exe. Or does it mean that EAC detected errors, but corrected them...?

Thanks....

Using C2 in EAC

Reply #3
It means that EAC detected errors and corrected them.
However, when there are many of them, sometimes the error recovery fails, and you can get two different files with "no errors occured" (different CRC if you test and copy). Usually, they are inaudible. I think it is thanks to the EFM code setup that was created for making CDs. Inaudible errors must be more likely (on purpose) than strong glitches if some errors occur.