Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Problem with lyrics and APETAG (Read 3476 times) previous topic - next topic

Problem with lyrics and APETAG

Seems I'm always attempting the out-of-the-ordinary, and have frequently found it a bit hard to find support here in the Hydrogen forums to resolve a number of issues. 

I've been using my favorite lyrics Winamp plugin, WinLyrics, to insert lyrics into the APE tags FB2K v0.8.3 creates for ReplayGain.  I can set up time stamps so the when each line of the lyrics is being played from the MP3, that line will be highlighted.  That as well as being able to double-click on a line of text in the lyrics, and have WinAmp jump to that portion of the MP3 and play it.

Problem is that after the lyrics are inserted with WinLyrics, and I then go back to FB2K and manually change the RG value for a file, FB2K ends up stripping the lyrics I've set up.

I wasn't able to find any posts addressing this searching through the forums.  Has anyone seen this before, or know if it can be resolved?

Thanks
Geopoliticus Child Watching the Birth of the New Man

Reply #1
Be sure to reload the tags in foobar before you edit the replaygain value (if you haven't done that already).

Reply #2
Be sure to reload the tags in foobar before you edit the replaygain value (if you haven't done that already).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=244551"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's probably the problem.  I was opening MP3s I'd previously applied RG to, then I'd play them and do some testing.  Aftet thay, with the MP3s still loaded in FB2K, I was using WinLyrics to add lyrics.  Then I was immediately going back to FB2K to change RG values.  I guess not reloading the tags 1st must have caused the problem.  I wasn't aware I needed to do that.

Thanks anza... I'll give it a try.

Reply #3

Hmmm the problem persists.  Even reloading the tags in FB2K before applying a new RP value doesn't prevent FB2K from deleting the lyrics in the APE tag.

Guess I can use the WinLyrics option to write the lyrics to the ID3v2 tag... but I was trying to get away from going that route.  Almost the entire MP3 has to be re-written if I use the ID3v2 tags for lyrics.

Reply #4
Maybe it is using a binary chunk. Binary chunks aren't properly supported.

Reply #5
I see the problem.  It took opening the files in a hex editor to notice what WinLyrics was displaying when I'd save the the lyrics. 

The lyrics are not being saved into the APE tags at all, but into something called Lyrics3.2 tags. 

The Lyrics3.2 tag starts with: LYRICSBEGIN
And ends like this: LYRICS

But they're also prefixed and appended with additional characters that change from file to file:

Full tags for one file:

Starting tag: LYRICSBEGININD0000211LYR00186
Ending tag : 000215LYRICS200

FB2K completely removes them when editing RG values in the APE tags.

Problem now is that if I tell WinLyrics to write the lyrics to the ID3v2 tags, FB2K still removes the lyrics when it applies a new RG value in the APE tags, only now it removes them from the ID3v2 tags.

Reply #6
You can choose to write id3v2 tags in foobar so the rg info will be written to id3v2 tags. Perhaps this would solve your problen. (You need the id3v2 plugin for that!)

Reply #7
You can choose to write id3v2 tags in foobar so the rg info will be written to id3v2 tags. Perhaps this would solve your problen. (You need the id3v2 plugin for that!)
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=245128"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well... I thought that was a great suggestion.  But FB2K really screwed up my existing ID3v2 tags when I ran RG on an album folder of MP3s ripped and tagged by EAC. 

I've never had any problems with the ID3v1/2 tags EAC creates.  But when I ran RG with FB2K to write the RG values to the ID3v2 tag at the top of the file, I ended up with a bunch of garbage in the ID3v2 tags that were fine before the RG processing.

So FB2K is removing the Lyrics3.2 tags when editing RG values, and destroys ID3v2 tags when writing RG values to the ID3v2 tags.

No good.