Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: database not updating/deleting/nuking? (Read 2994 times) previous topic - next topic

database not updating/deleting/nuking?

Okay, so at the encouragement of Audioscrobbler and a few other people, I just ran my collection through MusicBrainz to properly tag all of it.

Now, I want to nuke my database and start over.

I've tried everything, and the damn thing won't work.  I still have stuff that has wrong tags everywhere.  Things aren't sorting right becuase of it.  I can click on "remove from database" and it does absolutely nothing. 

I'm using the foo_ui_columns, so would that be preventing me from resetting what the playlists are sorting by?  The only other thing I can think of would be the foo_playcount component, but I can't actually find any files to delete with it. 

Help?

Reply #1
I've tried everything, and the damn thing won't work.  [a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=243197"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What do you mean by that? 

If your problem is that things aren't sorted properly because your files aren't properly tagged, then you have 2 options:

1) Tag them properly
2) Use the directory structure view if you have something like 'artist/album' as HD structure.

Reply #2
I guess the wrong tags are not only in the database, but written to the files too.
Life is Real...
(But not in audio :) )

Reply #3
I have this problem too.

Musicbrainz does write the tags to the files. I know they are their because winamp can see them.

However foobar cannot read them.

When I open the mp3 in just a text editor to poke around and see if I can find the tags, both the new ones written by Musicbrains are there, as well as the old APE ones.

Musicbrainz updates ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags. It doesn't seem to touch the APE tags that are in the files.

So for some reason, Foobar reads the APE tags in preference to the ID3 tags. Which may or may not be a good thing, but for the purposes of updating my files with Musicbrains, it is quite anoying.

I have tried the 'remove all tags' option in foobar. It then makes the file unreadable by Musicbrainz :-/

I have no idea why my files have both ID3 and APE tags in them. Possibly cause I configured something in foobar to write both when I was doing some updates once :-/

Anyway, what does everyone else think?

Thanks

Reply #4
Musicbrainz does write the tags to the files. I know they are their because winamp can see them.

However foobar cannot read them.

[...]

Musicbrainz updates ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags. It doesn't seem to touch the APE tags that are in the files.

Try to set playback>standard input as id3v2 if it's what you're mainly using, or 'id3v1 and APE' if you use this.

So for some reason, Foobar reads the APE tags in preference to the ID3 tags.

AFAIK yes, foobar reads first APE then other formats, I don't know how told me this on this forum.... but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Reply #5
http://chatlogs.musicbrainz.org/2004/2004-03/2004-03-27.html

I have just found this information on the net. I am not quiet sure what to make of it, but there is this information in there when someone had the same problem:

"after using mp3tag to remove the ape tags, foobar reads the tags perfectly"

So yeah, I have too used this program to remove the APE tags, and it didn't work. The program doesn't even remove the tags very well :-/  they were still in the files in some cases, and it didn't remove none of the APE tags.

Foobar does a great job of moving tags, but then Musicbrainz can't read the files afterwards :-/

Reply #6
mp3tag works well for me so you must be doing sth wrong... (be sure to check out the Options-Tags-Mpeg) note: unicode id3v2 is not supported, but i think musicbrainz doens't use unicode.
but you could use foobar to delete all the tags before using musicbrainz, wouldn't that solve the problem?
and as jkwarras said, set playback>standard input-Tag type to write: id3v2 & id3v1

Reply #7

Now, I want to nuke my database and start over.

I've tried everything, and the damn thing won't work.  I still have stuff that has wrong tags everywhere.  Things aren't sorting right becuase of it.  I can click on "remove from database" and it does absolutely nothing. 

Help?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

dmaster, maybe this will solve your problem: try deleting (moving) all you playlists from the foobar profile directory (close foobar first) and disabling the option Remeber history across sessions in the preferences of the foo_history plugin, if you use it. for further reference consult this [a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=29&t=19198]thread[/url]
I felt weak, perhaps I was.