Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: -dm -hq -br 32000 (Read 3672 times) previous topic - next topic

-dm -hq -br 32000

Hi, unlearned newbie here... BUT I did a lot of research here some months ago for what would be the best switches if I...

- ... would like good quality (doesn't have to be great, though)
- ... have a voice recording for source
- ... will be putting the results up for streaming / downloading
- and therefore want compatibility with as many mp3 players as possible

Eventually I came across this post and simply decided to use those switches with FastEnc:

-dm -hq -br 32000

I'm using it in a recording / encoding guide in the "Convert to MP3" section, and that's why I'm asking here. (A post asking for input on other parts of the guide is here).

So how do you think those switches work out, with those goals in mine?

(Also, does "-dm" do anything detrimental if the source isn't mono? I kinda figured not and just leave it in even if I don't have a mono source.)

Thanks for your help!

-dm -hq -br 32000

Reply #1
Looks good.

I was about to mention that HQ is almost as bad as fast mode because of problems with jstereo, but it should be fine in mono.

-dm -hq -br 32000

Reply #2
Looks good.

I was about to mention that HQ is almost as bad as fast mode because of problems with jstereo, but it should be fine in mono.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=241373"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

-hq has a problem with JS?

-dm -hq -br 32000

Reply #3
Whoops! It looks like 22khz won't be accepted by some mp3 players according to this post:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....indpost&p=72086

So the next step up (as I understand) is a 48000 bitrate, if I want to maintain as much compatibility as possible... shame to waste that space, though.

-dm -hq -br 32000

Reply #4
Whoops! It looks like 22khz won't be accepted by some mp3 players according to this post:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....indpost&p=72086

So the next step up (as I understand) is a 48000 bitrate, if I want to maintain as much compatibility as possible... shame to waste that space, though.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=241557"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think you might be confused. The post you linked to is about sampling rate (32000 Hz), but the -br sets the bitrate (32000 bits per second) They're completely independant.

MPEG-1 layer 3 supports 32000, 44100, and 48000 Hz sampling rates.

Totally separate from that, MPEG-1 Layer 3 CBR can be 32kbps, 40kbps, 48, 56, 64, etc..

The post you linked to says that trying to use a sampling rate of 22050 Hz might not work, because it needs to be MPEG-2 Layer 3, not MPEG-1 Layer 3.

Some clarification might be in order
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" - Vroomfondel, H2G2

-dm -hq -br 32000

Reply #5
I think you might be confused. The post you linked to is about sampling rate (32000 Hz), but the -br sets the bitrate (32000 bits per second) They're completely independant.

I do understand the difference, but I thought the two were tied together in some fashion. For instance: if I have a 44.1khz source, and encode it at 32000 bits/sec with Fastenc, the resulting MP3 is 22.05khz. If I encode at 48000 bits/sec, then it stays at 44.1khz.

I thought it had something to do with this table, (edit: which I see now is for Flash) but perhaps I was wrong in assuming that this is something fixed in stone.

After a little experimenting, it turns out that THIS:

-dm -hq -br 32000 -ds 44100

Returns a 44.1khz MP3 while this:

-dm -hq -br 32000

Returns a 22.05khz MP3. Curious!

Is this a reasonable fix? I wouldn't want it to be cutting it down to 22khz and THEN resampling it to 44khz... (edit: the 22khz and 44khz mp3s sound exactly the same to me... i.e. not nearly as good as the source or a 48000 bitrate mp3... though I am no audio-listening expert)

Thanks for your help, Omion!

-dm -hq -br 32000

Reply #6
I must admit I don't know a whole lot about FastEnc. I just came across your post while wasting time on the forum.

However, I know LAME will change the sampling rate automagically if you set a low bitrate. I assume FastEnc is doing the same. Basically, if nothing's stored above 11KHz, there's no reason (mathematically) to use a sampling rate higher than 22KHz.

The problem is that MPEG-1 Layer 3 only supports 48, 44.1, and 32KHz, so resampling to 22.05KHz will result in an MPEG-2 Layer 3 file. This might not be playable in some portables.

Like I said, I don't know a lot about FastEnc, but see if the command line "-dm -hq -br 32000 -ds 32000" works. That should result in an MPEG-1 L3 file, at 32KHz, and 32kbps.

It might not sound any different, but there should be minor improvements over the 44.1KHz file.

In the mean time, I'm going to see if I can grab FastEnc to do some tests myself.

[edit: Just tried my command line, and it works, but it's REALLY SLOW. Using "-dm -hq -br 32000" goes at ~40x, whereas "-dm -hq -br 32000 -ds 32000" goes at ~2x.  ]

Also, I just noticed your "I wouldn't want it to be cutting it down to 22khz and THEN resampling it to 44khz" comment. I have no doubt that FastEnc only resamples once. The command line just overrides the default resampling. Adding "-ds 44100" to a sample that's already 44100 should just turn off the resampling. (If it doesn't, it will just waste time doing a trivial operation)

So, if "-ds 32000" is too slow for you, stick with the "-ds 44100".
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" - Vroomfondel, H2G2

-dm -hq -br 32000

Reply #7
Also, I just noticed your "I wouldn't want it to be cutting it down to 22khz and THEN resampling it to 44khz" comment. I have no doubt that FastEnc only resamples once. The command line just overrides the default resampling. Adding "-ds 44100" to a sample that's already 44100 should just turn off the resampling. (If it doesn't, it will just waste time doing a trivial operation)

That's what I would think too... but I have to admit that "-br 32000 -ds 44100" sounds the same to my ears as "-br 32000" (which results in a 22.5khz file). And "-br 48000 -ds 32000" sounds much better, as does "-br 48000 -ds 44100". Go figure!

I suppose the next thing for me is to go to LAME and start doing 32000 bitrate tests to see how that sounds / what sample rates I end up with.

I'd be happy to put up test samples if anyone is interested.