Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Find all HE AAC files? Or check iPod compatibility (Read 2302 times) previous topic - next topic

Find all HE AAC files? Or check iPod compatibility

I'm an idiot -- during one of my system reinstalls I didn't set up the Nero AAC encoder properly, so for some amount of time I was encoding CDs into HE AAC format, which of course play fine in iTunes but don't work at all in my iPod.

Now I'm trying to figure out which CDs I made this mistake on (since I have them in FLAC, I'll just rerun them) but there doesn't seem to be any difference I can find in the files other than trial and error seeing which ones won't play on the iPod. Does anyone know of a way, a file tag, a utility, that could search through a bunch of AAC files and tell which ones are HE? Or a more general iPod file compatibility checker?

Find all HE AAC files? Or check iPod compatibility

Reply #1
I'm an idiot -- during one of my system reinstalls I didn't set up the Nero AAC encoder properly, so for some amount of time I was encoding CDs into HE AAC format, which of course play fine in iTunes but don't work at all in my iPod.

Now I'm trying to figure out which CDs I made this mistake on (since I have them in FLAC, I'll just rerun them) but there doesn't seem to be any difference I can find in the files other than trial and error seeing which ones won't play on the iPod. Does anyone know of a way, a file tag, a utility, that could search through a bunch of AAC files and tell which ones are HE? Or a more general iPod file compatibility checker?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=236810"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What bitrate did you rip your "regular" (e.g., LC-AAC) files at? Since SBR is only used at lower bitrates (<96kbps), if you ripped your other stuff at something like 128 or 160kbps, it would be as simple as making a smart playlist in itunes for that bitrate. That way, you won't be trying to play HE files on your iPod. If you ripped both types of files at 96kbps, for example, I'm not sure what you could do short of dumping everything and starting over. Maybe somebody else has a suggestion in that case?

Also, I should mention that HE AAC does not work al the way in iTunes, which can't decode the SBR part of the HE AAC stream. What plays back are only the frequencies below 11Khz, which is bound to sound nasty.