Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WavPack playback on linux? (Read 4389 times) previous topic - next topic

WavPack playback on linux?

My windows computers have no problem playing wavpack files, but what can play them on linux?  I haven't been able to figure it out since there are no libs.  Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Reply #1
My windows computers have no problem playing wavpack files, but what can play them on linux?  I haven't been able to figure it out since there are no libs.  Sorry if this is a dumb question.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=236592"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Alley_cat, a long time supporter of the matroska project, has recently coded a TTA plugin for Gstreamer. You might ask him about a Wavpack plugin also. He is often on
#matroska, irc.corecodec.com , and #gstreamer irc.freenode.net ....

Reply #2
Until you get a plugin for your favorite media player, you can write a little script to use the command line tools.

You ought to have a command called 'wavplay' or 'play' on Linux. Look for a program called 'audioplay' on the *BSDs

plug this command into a little script:

Code: [Select]
#!/bin/sh
# wvplay - play wavpack on command line

for file in "$@"; do
    echo "np: $file"
    wvunpack "$file" - | wavplay -
done

and then

$ wvplay *.wv

Reply #3
There's also a bash script that Speek created here (I'm not sure what the difference is between the two):

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ndpost&p=222550

Obviously, an XMMS plugin would be ideal. I may be able to do this with a friend who does a lot of development on Linux, but I'm not sure when that might happen. In the meantime anyone is welcome to take the WavPack library and try to do this... 

Reply #4
There's also a bash script that Speek created here (I'm not sure what the difference is between the two):

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ndpost&p=222550

Obviously, an XMMS plugin would be ideal. I may be able to do this with a friend who does a lot of development on Linux, but I'm not sure when that might happen. In the meantime anyone is welcome to take the WavPack library and try to do this... 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=236827"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There is a xmms-meta-input plugin.
This plugin allows you to write XMMS plugins as Unix programs.
I write a wavpack script and put it in the /usr/lib/xmms/Input/Meta.
Therefore, xmms can play *.wv, but it can't seek music.
However, it's a solution before bryant release the real xmms-plugin.
Code: [Select]
#!/bin/sh

case "$1" in
play)
wvunpack -q "$2" -
exit 0
;;
isOurFile)
if echo "$2" | grep -q \.[wW][vV];then
exit 0
else
exit -1