Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Station KEAL's paper CD sleeve guide (Read 6299 times) previous topic - next topic

Station KEAL's paper CD sleeve guide

... out of regular legal pad sized paper. Actually, the actual size of the sheet is not very important; it only must be big enough.

Seven JPEGs and a text file.

Reply #1
ok, nice guide thankyou, but im having trouble with following your instructions, im with u until i get to the  tuck left into right side. Could you clarify? SOrry for being dumb, its just me

Reply #2
Sorry! iv figured it out! stupid me! VERY GOOD! Will use this a LOT! thankyou very much!

Reply #3
Haha! Cool.

I should have probably specified that JPEG 2 is the most pertinent. And added a disclaimer that you can buy tons of sleeves online for pennies (well, shipping not included).

But of course, for those lucky few with a job at a paper mill this little ZIP is a boon =).

Reply #4
Very interesting - nice work indeed.  I would like to get rid of my jewel cases for the same reason, but I never found a CD sleeve that would also hold the cover booklet AND the tray liner.  I found one company, DiscSox, which makes a fantastic sleeve that does this, but they want ~ $ 0.50 per sleeve which is a bit steep IMO.  They are for DJ/pro use, are technically very nice, and seem a little overkill for this type of project.

What do you do with your covers and tray liners?  Any idea how to make one of these paper sleeves that will hold the covers/tray liners too?  Maybe some 11x17 paper....
Was that a 1 or a 0?

Reply #5
I just use plastic sandwich bags, they are about 300 for $3, pretty cheap
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']"We will restore chaos"-Bush on Iraq[/span]

Reply #6
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=234243"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nice idea - any issues with the plastic bag sticking to the CD / interacting with the label or cover art (sticking together, pulling print layer off of CD, etc.) over time?  How long have you had discs in the plastic bags?  Preference on brand?

From the DiscSox site:
# Cover and the back sheet of the DiscSox CD Pro sleeves, are made from polished clear vinyl, originally developed for long-term storage of X-ray images.
This special copy-guard material ensures that the graphic booklets and tray cards will never stick to the cover and back sheet.
Highly polished material enhances the appearance of the booklets and tray cards similar to a picture frame.
# The printed side of the CD faces against hi-end textured vinyl. This material minimizes the contact surface with the CD guaranteeing that CDs will never stick to the DiscSox sleeves.
# White integrated fabric provides state-of-the-art CD protection and keeps the disc free of dust.

Just wondering if these concerns were FUD in your experience.
Was that a 1 or a 0?

Reply #7
Sox' Pro sleeves look nice, but $.50 a sleeve is simply a ripoff. I'm sure if you do some more research you will find better prices elsewhere.

Reply #8
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=234243"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Maybe so, but a fellow sent me a few discs in sandwich bags several weeks ago, and they were the worst-scratched discs I'd ever seen! 

- M.

Reply #9
That is actually pretty cool.

Thank you for sharing Never_Again.

I'm not sure I am audiophile enough to ever warrant needing to use them for my CD collection - but it's also very useful just if you need a quick an easy temporary carrying case, like when you quickly burn a data CD to take 'round a friend's house.

[edit]removed a question that I later answered myself[/edit]
I'm on a horse.

Reply #10
... out of regular legal pad sized paper. Actually, the actual size of the sheet is not very important; it only must be big enough.

Seven JPEGs and a text file.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=234161"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Great origami work !
On forehand I print some logo and fixed text on the plain sheets; and I first put the cdr in and then tuck the sides.

Thanks

/c

Reply #11

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=234161"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Forgot to mention that I use a cardboard square of 121 mm instead of a cd to work with.  One could even use thinner paper of 60 g/m2 and colours for codes.
Since it's storage of backups and copies I don't need room for covers and the like.

/c

Reply #13
What about using "acid-free" photo archiving paper?
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #15
Well, I don't want to turn this into a data loss thread, but I have first hand experience that says you don't want to drive around with a stack of of mp3 disks on a spindle either.  The vibration in conjunction with small gritty particles will kill them rather quickly.  Of course, the only reason they were like that in the first place is because I'm lazy.  That'll teach me!
Gur svggrfg funyy fheivir lrg gur hasvg znl yvir. Jr zhfg ercrng.

Reply #16
What about using "acid-free" photo archiving paper?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=235119"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not sure... AFAIK, even slim jewel cases can cause data loss.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=235124"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well I'm also pretty sure that looking at the discs wrong can cause data loss... 
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'