Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: just how bad is r3mix? (Read 4618 times) previous topic - next topic

just how bad is r3mix?

ok, so if the devil is six then god is seven and if god is seven then...

here's a rough approximation of soundquality on a 10 pt scale

Lossless- 10 (duh)
mpc- (9.5)
mp3 lame aps (9)

now, what would r3mix be on this? or ogg gtb?

just how bad is r3mix?

Reply #1
maybe add a lower anchor to make the scale more clear.

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

just how bad is r3mix?

Reply #2
Threads which could truly answer this question are lost within the dead r3mix forum.
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

just how bad is r3mix?

Reply #4
--r3mix would be somewhere between gpsycho CBR 192 LR stereo and --aps. You do the math =).

just how bad is r3mix?

Reply #5
Threads which could truly answer this question are lost within the dead r3mix forum.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Try this [a href="http://pub207.ezboard.com/br3mix]r3mix.net forum @ www.ezboard.com[/url]
The mirror is gone now. 

Later, tec

just how bad is r3mix?

Reply #6
That is the OOOLD r3mix forum...
Not very interesting...

just how bad is r3mix?

Reply #7
ok, so if the devil is six then god is seven and if god is seven then...

here's a rough approximation of soundquality on a 10 pt scale

Lossless- 10 (duh)
mpc- (9.5)
mp3 lame aps (9)

now, what would r3mix be on this? or ogg gtb?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=234908"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Here's one way of thinking about r3mix.  Imagine you grew up somewhere that only had a Taco Bell to eat at.  You ate it 4-5 times a week for lunch.  One day you left your scenic valley and went to the a land that had many authentic mexican restaurants and hot chicks.  You then realized you had been eating dog food for the last 19 years.  This is how r3mix is compares to the rest.  Think of Roel as a gourmet chef of easy to prepare microwave bean burritos.
You can't kill the Elephant.

just how bad is r3mix?

Reply #8
It depends about which LAME version we're talking about.

As of ~LAME 3.95+ --r3mix has now been remapped to -V3 --vbr-new. So in that context, I'd say it's not that bad at all.

When people complain about the quality of --r3mix it's generally because they've just read others complain about it and then repeat this parrot fashion.
daefeatures.co.uk

just how bad is r3mix?

Reply #9
When people complain about the quality of --r3mix it's generally because they've just read others complain about it and then repeat this parrot fashion.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=234999"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's the home of the --alt-presets, what do you expect?

I have the album Nirvana-In Utero encoded with LAME 3.89b --r3mix & it doesn't sound the best, I could easily ABX most tracks, average bitrate is 172 kbps. I would rank 3.89b --r3mix close to the current LAME 3.96 --preset 128 as far as quality.

just how bad is r3mix?

Reply #10
Here's one way of thinking about r3mix.  Imagine you grew up somewhere that only had a Taco Bell to eat at.  You ate it 4-5 times a week for lunch.  One day you left your scenic valley and went to the a land that had many authentic mexican restaurants and hot chicks.  You then realized you had been eating dog food for the last 19 years.  This is how r3mix is compares to the rest.  Think of Roel as a gourmet chef of easy to prepare microwave bean burritos.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

LOL! You sure have a way with words! Lead me to the land of "authentic mexican restaurants and hot chicks".

The r3mix recomended command line (and later preset) changed over time. IIRC the nspsytune based r3mix has temporal smearing problems. There's an older gpsycho based r3mix which didn't have such bad pre echo, but had other problems. In some lame versions, r3mix wasn't bad for the time. The problems came when people started trying to fix the remaining faults, while the preset author claimed they weren't worth fixing.

I wouldn't bother re-encoding anything if I couldn't hear anything wrong with it. However, I never used r3mix after the dm-presets (later alt-presets) became available - not even to reduce the bitrate.

Blind test results for r3mix vs dm-presets are quoted here:

[a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=18223&view=findpost&p=183841]http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ndpost&p=183841[/url]

hope this helps.

Cheers,
David.