Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: id3v2 1.15 vs 1.18 (Read 3333 times) previous topic - next topic

id3v2 1.15 vs 1.18

Sigh.... a quick search revealed no relevant answer to this strangeness....
I gladly used ID3V2 1.15 with the default setting (BOM taged, other options empty & tags I use are V1+V2)
and haven't had any of the problems of Pre FB V.8 times.
Now with the new FooBar I also checked the plugins again, noted the one in question is now 1.18. Same setting (BOM only) and now the Windows MediaPlayer 6.4 and the MediaPlayerClassic are displaying only filled small rectangles again - so I crosschecked in exchanging 1.18 against 1.15, kept the settings and had Foo rewriten the tag... and it worked again (1.18 again it "didn't").... As all other programs I use apart from the mentioned players seem to cope with BOTH tags its maybe not a real problem (just for me, as I use the WMP6.4 for a fastclick single song listening - its the one player that on my system actually is fastest for that purpose)....

So is either the 1.15 behaving wrong, or the 1.18 buged in some way?

id3v2 1.15 vs 1.18

Reply #1
sure it is version 1.18? here it is 1.17!?!

id3v2 1.15 vs 1.18

Reply #2
Oops Sorry.... is it.... So I should have mentioned that I (as soon as I noticed a new version of Foo) downloaded the current versions from Kode's page (well you never know if the special installer is up-to-date) and that version is 1.18.

id3v2 1.15 vs 1.18

Reply #3
answer for your doubts is here

id3v2 1.15 vs 1.18

Reply #4
Hence, WMP and Windows XP file properties dialog don't support UTF-16 or don't support it properly, iRiver's players only support UTF-16, and random players support it improperly to some degree. Foo_id3v2 is also an improper implementation in some regards. For example, I don't think id3lib checks to make sure that all URL fields are "valid" according to the standard, ie. fully qualified URLs. (OK: http://www.blah.com/; wrong: www.blah.com; OK e-mail: mailto:foo@bar.com)

ID3v2 sucks because the standard is so complicated and obfuscated that nobody bothers reading the entire 73KB standard draft before implementing it, and thus, they get at least something wrong. Even that bloated piece of crap id3lib makes several mistakes, and it's supposed to be accurate because the developers work together with the people who drafted it, or something. Eh, whatever.

id3v2 1.15 vs 1.18

Reply #5
Thanks for the link, I have read that thread (the one about the portable player)before - but as I never captured what exactly the function was that got removed That thread had me somewhat confused.

Ok, so now again back to forcing ISO Tags (or keeping 1.15 - Nah... maybe I should just forget about the MediaPlayers Display if at any time I really need UTF tags)...

And I think now I am convinced that the "problems" with ID3 Tags will never end (damned why from 1st the specs where loosily interpretated) - sigh... and bloody me that has the need to stick to them :'( P.S.: Kode -> Must be really frustrating never to be able to satisfy all (or always encountering the same old problems anew) :sigh: