Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_id3v2 changes genre tag... why? (Read 4091 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_id3v2 changes genre tag... why?

So I have been inserting replaygain data into my id3v2 tags with foobar2000, but this has the added effect of changing my text genres to numbers. Is there a way to prevent foobar from making its own unwanted translations to my tags?

Thanks,
ciaran

Reply #1
Numeric genres are supposed to be part of the standard, assuming they are among the ID3v1 genre list. At least MMJB also writes numeric genre tags where applicable.

Maybe I should just switch to libid3tag, which mostly documents what's allowed and what isn't. Ah, too bad it only writes v2.4 tags, most programs don't understand those, even though the standard has been frozen at that version for over a year...

Reply #2
Numeric genres are supposed to be part of the standard, assuming they are among the ID3v1 genre list. At least MMJB also writes numeric genre tags where applicable.

Maybe I should just switch to libid3tag, which mostly documents what's allowed and what isn't. Ah, too bad it only writes v2.4 tags, most programs don't understand those, even though the standard has been frozen at that version for over a year...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=227728"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I prefer textual genres (which I believe is acceptable usage in id3v2). How can I prevent foobar from imposing numeric genres? I just want to add replaygain info, not change other parts of my tags around too.

It couldn't possibly be intended behaviour for foobar to mess with tags that have nothing to do with replaygain during a replaygain operation...

Thanks,
ciaran

Reply #3
This is the behavior of my component, the tag reader and writer, which translates the metadata you see in the file info dialog to/from ID3v2 tags. Either way I handle numeric genres, something will be lost in the translation.

Just another hack to disable.

Reply #4
So... behaviour will stay as is?

I guess I've found a semi-way around this: open up the numeric-genreified mp3's in The Godfather and hit "Update" in the "Tag" tab and then "Update All"... this should rewrite the numeric genres as their textual equivalents.

ciaran

Reply #5
v1.17 uploaded, this feature has now been disabled. Besides, it is apparent that numeric/abbreviated genres are either obsolete or deprecated. It would be nice if there were a higher level library that dealt with translation of short human-readable tag names and data parsing, to control what is written to the tag within the standard for a particular version of the standard, and could warn when something goes against that, because ID3v2 really makes it a pain. *Whew*

Reply #6
Thanks!