Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: SQL-ish Playlist Commands (Read 3369 times) previous topic - next topic

SQL-ish Playlist Commands

Instead of having a static list of playlists only, we should have a second type of playlist that allows you to "query" the database of music to display. So you can do something like:

Code: [Select]
select *.mp3 from dbase where artist = led zeppelin and bitrate < 128

This would effectively let you make playlists with certain genre's and artists. Allowing some realllllly cool possibilities. We're smart enough to do this sorta stuff arnt we?

Unfortunately I'm not a coder...

Reply #1
You'd also have to code a SQL front-end for the database, as it's not SQL-based.

Reply #2
Doesn't Extended Playlist Generator effectively do this?

Steve

Reply #3
As Paranoia said, foo_playlistgen_ext is just the thing you want.

(%__codec% IS MP3) AND (%artist% IS Led Zeppelin) AND (%__bitrate% GREATER 128)

Is the string you want to achieve your example.

Reply #4
Ahh, so this will update when I make the playlist active? I want to be able to have this playlist always current with as much "led zeppelin, mp3, 128+" if you get my drift. Not just a playlist generator.

Reply #5
You need to re-generate it, automatic updating isn't availible at this time.

Steve

[EDIT]

This is simpler than I made it sound. Preset can be made, so re-entering the code isn't necessary.

[/EDIT]

Reply #6
And it really isn't that hard to manually recreating the playlists. Just set up a keyboard shortcut for "Generate Playlist" (mine's ctrl+g) and you're 4 keypresses away from updating the playlist. Ctrl+g -> ctrl+a -> enter and all my playlists are up to date again.

Reply #7
select *.mp3 from dbase where artist = led zeppelin and bitrate < 128

That SQL query isn't gonna even work unless you, for some weird reason, have a column for every format that's labled as a star, a period, and the extension (which is stupid and useless). The only thing SQL queries for the databases can help wth that you can't do with the playlist generator is simply statistics and whatnot which isn't really needed. SQL queries do sound like a fun toy for foobar, but when it comes down to it, you don't really need it.