Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 5ch DVD-Audio to -> 5 WAV Mono files (Read 8170 times) previous topic - next topic

5ch DVD-Audio to -> 5 WAV Mono files

Hello, my name is Matias, and i'm new at this forum.

I wanted to know if somebody can help me on how to make 5 wav mono files from a 5ch DVD-Audio. Which programs should i use, etc...

Can somebody help me??

Thanks 

Reply #1
If you have a real DVD audio disc you don't have a chance, but if you have consert/music dvd with video content you can use dvd decrypter to rip the files to your HD and then demux the audio from video using dvd2avi and convert the resulting files into mono wavs using besweet.

Reply #2
Ok, great.

One question though, the resulting wav from the dvd2avi app will be a 5ch wav, right??

Reply #3
No, when you click "Save project as", dvd2avi will give you a project file and a raw ac3 file. You need to convert this ac3 file to wav files using besweet.

Reply #4
Oh, i see....

And how do i do this conversion??

Reply #5
Doom9.org's DVD backup guides have some information, but they are mostly video centric. Nevertheless, they cover some audio encoding related things which you should read.

Reply #6
The program DVD audio extractor seems to do what you want
Look here

BTW it extracts audio from DVD-Video
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #7
I have seen a number of posts here stating that real Audio-only DVD can't be ripped. What's the problem with that? I mean if there's a need there is always a solution. I haven't yet seen anything that could not be worked around by really smart people.

By now you are probably thinking what a noob am I. You're right, but then please be so kind and explain me the stuff or just point me to some articles describing this problem in detail. Thanks.

Reply #8
I have seen a number of posts here stating that real Audio-only DVD can't be ripped. What's the problem with that? I mean if there's a need there is always a solution. I haven't yet seen anything that could not be worked around by really smart people.

By now you are probably thinking what a noob am I. You're right, but then please be so kind and explain me the stuff or just point me to some articles describing this problem in detail. Thanks.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=248525"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Because the encryption has not been cracked for one, and there are no software MLP decoders/demultiplexers for another.

Advanced Resolution DVD-Audio is first watermarked, then encoded into an MLP stream, then this is multiplexed into an AOB file with the graphical content.
There are no rippers that can get through the watermarking, decode the MLP and decrypt the encoded bitstream.

And there are not likely to be either in the near future.

On some discs without watermarking, you can record the analogue output from the player directly into a set of DAC - remember the output of a DVD-A player is not digital as it is with DVD-V, but Analogue. All the decoding & decryption is done in the player.

Reply #9
Hmm interesting. If  does that mean that my DVD player can't play a DVD-Audio?

And if a hardware player can do it (demuxing and decrypting), isn't it possible to do that through software? Or a chip-maker holds the key for decrypting in secret so this can be done only with his chip?

Watermarking is something entirely different. I understand, that you are not able to remove the watermark (although it has been proven that it IS possible), but I think the audio-data remains high-quality even with the watermak in it.

The only thing I don't get why can't a software do what a hardware can do... Or to create a DVD-A hardware that will send out digital data instead of Audio...

Reply #10
The only thing I don't get why can't a software do what a hardware can do... Or to create a DVD-A hardware that will send out digital data instead of Audio...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=250862"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, software could do it and DVD-A hardware that outputs digital data could be made, but both would be in violation of the licenses and legal stuff so it won't happen.

Reply #11
It'll happen. It's technically quite possible. It hasn't been done so far because the community does not have an example program that outputs digitally (currently only analogue) to reverse engineer. But don't worry, it's just a matter of time.

Reply #12
I grew up in the analogue 70s, when copying was quite simple. Just recording LP on cassette. Degraded sound, yes. But for an album I knew I was going to listen to for a while and then forget, good enough.

IMHO DVD-A and SACD takes us back to those days. I mean, it's just to connect player's 5.1 analogue outs to a computer and save on disc as PCM, flac, DTS or whatever. On a $100 5.1 Creative speaker system you won't notice any difference anyway. And I'm sure those who saved it up for a $2000+ HiFi - where DVD-A do make a difference - could also occasionally spend $25 on albums really worth-while.

Cheers
FA

Reply #13
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=250862"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, software could do it and DVD-A hardware that outputs digital data could be made, but both would be in violation of the licenses and legal stuff so it won't happen.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=250909"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You cannot send 6 channels of audio at 24/96 down a digital connection - SP-DIF or ADAT.
They do not have the bandwidth to do this.
All ADC/DAC that have 8 channels at 24/96 all use DS (double speed) and require 2 lightpipes to do this.

As for cracking, it is not going to happen.
Meridian will not release the specs for ripping, so forget that.
The encryption is far heavier than DVD-V ever was, so forget that too.
And finally, there is Verance watermarking as well. If the Audio is watermarked, you cannot copy from the analogue outs either.

Check with a lot of people who have tried.

DVD-A cannot be ripped. Period.

Reply #14
DVD-A cannot be ripped. Period.

I assume that although I'm supposed to be able to play back Audio DVD's at full quality with WinDVD and a sound card supporting 24 bit, 192 KHz audio, it's still impossible to copy the stream? Even with a program recording PCM output entirely in software?
I use linux as my main desktop and I'm a bit relunctant to pay $70 for a program I may end up never using because I can't record the stream, encode it and then copy the files on my linux desktop...

We may still hope for artists to release 24 bit, 96/192 Khz, multichannel audio as downloadable files, though. I bet it'll happen sooner than one might think, with artists such as Herbie Hancock, for instance.

Reply #15
The whole point of the copy protection methods employed in DVD-Audio is to prevent exactly that - copying the streams to anything, never mind a desktop where they could then be burned to a different disc.

Some, but not all, discs will allow you to record the output from the player itself, as long as you hook up the 6 analogue outputs to 6 ADC channels.

The only way you are going to see 24/96 multichannel for download will be in WMA or DTS encoded files. Not PCM. Filesizes are too big, and if you think about it I'm sure you will understand why no label will make master quality files available for download. You'd have a thriving bootleg industry in no time at all, considering discWelder Bronze is only $99 a copy.

And 24/192 is stereo only, not multichannel.

Another point to remember is a 24/96 multichannel stream will be MLP encoded too. You cannot use 24/96 PCM in 5.1