Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Audioscrobbler calling home 213.129.226.165 (Read 3576 times) previous topic - next topic

Audioscrobbler calling home 213.129.226.165

After installing audioscrobler iFoobar is trying to connect to this address on 213.129.226.165 on port 80. After uninstalled it still does this every few minutes.

I knew something thing was suspect when it had an .exe installation file. I have feeling it has modified the foobar2000.exe file.

Anyone had similar problems?

Do I have to reinstall Foobar to remove this crap.

Oops after I removed the DLL file its fine. It would have been nice to know this plugin needs to send information out.

Reply #1
Oops after I removed the DLL file its fine. It would have been nice to know this plugin needs to send information out.

Considering what audioscrobbler is, it's pretty obvious it has to send out data.  It even says on the second sentence of the home page: "Plugins send the name of every song you play to the Audioscrobbler server".

Reply #2
And a quick ping of www.audioscrobbler.com reveals Audioscrobbler's IP is indeed 213.129.226.165.
</signature>

Reply #3
There seems to be a strange attitude on these forums about using .exe installers for plugins.. I just don't understand it, there's not much more I could do in an .exe file that I can't already do by you running up a .dll *sigh*

Reply #4
But why does one need to wrap (usually) only one dll in an exe? That's just insane.

Reply #5
Because some people (using windows media player etc) don't know what the bloody hell they're doing quite frankly, and it's easier to do that than to explain how to do it to a load of n00bs. It's just easier - it's even easier for people who know what they're doing. I don't see a problem with it.

Steve

[EDIT=toned down swearing]
[EDIT2= Didn't see original posts edit]

Reply #6
But why does one need to wrap (usually) only one dll in an exe? That's just insane.

Off the top of my head I can consider only a few reasons (but all I feel are valid)

1) There might be a license agreement the developer wants to draw the user's attention to.
2) There may be a load of configuration and data files associated with the DLL that need to be in a 'known' state (i.e. erased) before the dll is runup the first time
3)  Its not really acceptable to ask a user to 'copy' a file to a 'particular directory' under Windows.  If the target audience was developers or Linux Gurus then fair enough, but most plugins are aimed at end-users

Just my 2-cents mind

Reply #7
After installing audioscrobler iFoobar is trying to connect to this address on 213.129.226.165 on port 80.

..which isn't really unexpected, is it?
After uninstalled it still does this every few minutes.

You probably had foobar2000 open when you ran the unistaller.

Close foobar2000, find the foo_audioscrobbler.dll in the components directory of your fb2k installation and delete it.

Reply #8
1) There might be a license agreement the developer wants to draw the user's attention to.

That is one possibility.

2) There may be a load of configuration and data files associated with the DLL that need to be in a 'known' state (i.e. erased) before the dll is runup the first time

If the developer is making proper use of the player's configuration variable system, then all configuration data would be stored in Foobar2000.cfg. Assuming the component has never been installed before, these variables will be reset to the author's assigned defaults the first time it is started up. The variables will also disappear from the config file the first time the player is closed without the respective component installed.

3)  Its not really acceptable to ask a user to 'copy' a file to a 'particular directory' under Windows.  If the target audience was developers or Linux Gurus then fair enough, but most plugins are aimed at end-users

Some people don't feel like producing installers. In my case, I could design my component uploader to produce NSIS scripts from a generic template, or an all-components installer with a checklist and the same session memory as the player special installer, which already contains all of my components anyway.

There are also people who are paranoid of installers, which might be storing settings in their system registry. They prefer an archive, no matter how much work installing or upgrading might be.

Reply #9
If you don't read what the point of the component is before installing it, then you deserve anything you get...

Incidentally, the reason foo_audioscrobbler uses an installer is because it has to install curl.dll as well. This will change in the next version. Also, I use a GPL license which requires me to display the license.

Foo_audioscrobbler does NOT modify the foobar exe or anything shady like that, as I'm sure numerous forum members here would vouch for.