Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC/iTunes full integration (Read 106247 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC/iTunes full integration

Reply #75
Well, I've noticed it always creates the Compilation & Tempo tags, regardless if they have any info.

Also, of you are ripping on iTunes, there's a CDDB_ID tag, Total Tracks, probably Composer/Writer, and ITUNNORM if you have Sound Check activated.

I'm guessing that the artwork might be in the database, although I'm not sure, as I have never used that function.

Hope this helps a little.

Reply #76
Well, I've noticed it always creates the Compilation & Tempo tags, regardless if they have any info.

The Compilation tag is just a boolean value.. On or off. So it's not surprising it's there. There's no Tempo tag anywhere in the interface, so I don't know why I'd be doing that.

Also, of you are ripping on iTunes, there's a CDDB_ID tag, Total Tracks, probably Composer/Writer, and ITUNNORM if you have Sound Check activated.

Composer is one I listed, as is TrackCount. The CDDB_ID doesn't get added to songs that were not ripped using iTunes (and I can't modify it thru the COM interface), and the SoundCheck/ITUNNORM tag is there, but is ignored by everything, for the most part.

I'm guessing that the artwork might be in the database, although I'm not sure, as I have never used that function.

Nope, it's in the file. Tag&Rename can add cover art to M4A files.

Reply #77
Okay. New version is up. It was an easy addition to support those tags. Blame me for being lazy.

BPM, Comment, Compilation Flag, Composer, DiscCount, DiscNumber, TrackCount are in there. Run it without any params to see the flags you need for them.

Same link as before: http://otto.homedns.org:8888/iTunes/iTunesEncode.zip

Note: I did absolutely no testing whatsoever. Expect it not to work perfectly. It's just a quick addition to the code.

Reply #78
Sorry for the ignorant first post, but I can't get the executable to work for me.  I put
c:\WINDOWS\system32\cscript.exe
in the "Program" field and
"c:\Program Files\Applications\EAC\itunes\iTunesEncode.exe" -e "Lossless Encoder" -a "%a" -l "%g" -t "%t" -g "%m" -y %y -n %n -i %s -o
in the command line.  Is this correct?

It's rather urgent as I'm struggling to get my entire CD collection onto my iPod in Apple Lossless and I have until Thursday (tomorrow) to do so when I go abroad for the next six months.  Please help!

Reply #79
Sorry for the ignorant first post, but I can't get the executable to work for me.  I put
c:\WINDOWS\system32\cscript.exe
in the "Program" field and
"c:\Program Files\Applications\EAC\itunes\iTunesEncode.exe" -e "Lossless Encoder" -a "%a" -l "%g" -t "%t" -g "%m" -y %y -n %n -i %s -o
in the command line.  Is this correct?

No.

Change the Program to:
"c:\Program Files\Applications\EAC\itunes\iTunesEncode.exe"

and the command line options to:
-e "Lossless Encoder" -a "%a" -l "%g" -t "%t" -g "%m" -y %y -n %n -i %s -o %d

The cscript thing was only for the first version, which was made with javascript. It's not needed for the newer EXE version.

Reply #80
Change [...] the command line options to:
-e "Lossless Encoder" -a "%a" -l "%g" -t "%t" -g "%m" -y %y -n %n -i %s -o %d

I've changed to this command line (and changed the program field) but for some reason all my files now come out as "A Capella" without artist, title, or any other information with file names like "0tmp7-876.m4a".  In the program's visual output it indicates that it thinks that its input file is coming from its output directory even though it actually is compressing the correct .wav from a different directory.

The problem might be that I'm currently converting .wavs already saved to disk as I ripped a lot of them with EAC before I found your script and program.  Might this be it?

Thanks a million for your help, Otto!

Reply #81
Another question -- how do I automatically transfer the composer field to the Apple Lossless file?  I think you said the option (iTunes side, if I understand correctly) is -s but then what is the corresponding value in EAC?

Reply #82
The problem might be that I'm currently converting .wavs already saved to disk as I ripped a lot of them with EAC before I found your script and program.  Might this be it?

Definitely it. If you don't pass in an artist tag, then it gets the name of the temporary file that EAC uses. And processing the WAVs like that doesn't pass any tag information.

Another question -- how do I automatically transfer the composer field to the Apple Lossless file? I think you said the option (iTunes side, if I understand correctly) is -s but then what is the corresponding value in EAC?

EAC doesn't have any support for the composer field. It's getting data from FreeDB, which doesn't have any composer information. If you have composer and other tag information in Foobar or something, you should use clienc to call iTunesEncode, and not EAC.

Reply #83
Thanks for the help and the quick replies!  It's just too bad I can't use all those wav files from the CDs I already ripped.

Reply #84
Thanks for the help and the quick replies!  It's just too bad I can't use all those wav files from the CDs I already ripped.

Well, you can if you want.. You just won't get all that taggy goodness in there automatically.

But if you have WAV files already, there's little point in shoving them through EAC. iTunes is perfectly capable of reading WAV files directly. Just add the WAVs to iTunes using the Add Folder command, then shift-select all the resulting tracks in iTunes and then right click them and select "Convert to Apple Lossless" to convert them all at once. After it's done, delete all the WAVs from the library and from the drive.

The main reason to use iTunesEncode is to be able to encode with iTunes when ripping from a CD, all in one step. After you've already ripped, then there's not a very good reason to use it with EAC.

Reply #85
Yeah, I got that much.  The problem was that only EAC would read the FreeDB tags associated with the .wav files and iTunes does not, so I was hoping I could use iTunesEncode simply to transfer the .wav file along with the tags to iTunes so I wouldn't have to enter them manually.

In any case, it's working great now, so thanks again for the program and all your help!  It looks now like I will be able to finish ripping, encoding, and transferring all my CDs to my iPod by the time I leave for my flight tomorrow. 

Reply #86
I use Tag&Rename to add tags after the fact, in general. Dunno if it'll work with ALAC files though. Probably not, methinks.

Reply #87
I'm sorry to report that the new version has several problems...

EAC

when using this command line

-a "%a" -l "%g" -t "%t" -g "%m" -y %y -n %n -i %s -o %d

you get two files, one which works in the itunes folder & database, and another which can't work on any player i've tried it and apparently isn't a compliant MPEG4

if we erase the output, like this

-a "%a" -l "%g" -t "%t" -g "%m" -y %y -n %n -i %s

we still get two files, instead of the useless file, we get a wav in its place, and if we leave the output and add the -d option, we're left with only the corrupt files, which really sucks

foobar2000

all the files work correctly, just some minor problems with accents that disappear on the way to itunes, but the new tags don't seem to work correctly, at least not the composer tag which is the only one i've tried so far

still, I want to thank you for your hard work in this little project to make all of our lives easier

Reply #88
-a "%a" -l "%g" -t "%t" -g "%m" -y %y -n %n -i %s -o %d

you get two files, one which works in the itunes folder & database, and another which can't work on any player i've tried it and apparently isn't a compliant MPEG4

Well, you're supposed to get two files with that command line. And they should be identical, as I'm actually just doing a copy from one file to the other using Windows "CopyFile" functionality.

all the files work correctly, just some minor problems with accents that disappear on the way to itunes, but the new tags don't seem to work correctly, at least not the composer tag which is the only one i've tried so far

I'll check out the composer tag, but I don't see how you could get a "corrupt" file, or in fact a file that is different in any way at all. It's copying the file from the one iTunes produces to the output file. Any corruption you're seeing must occur after that. Make sure you don't have EAC adding ID3 tags or some such thing.

Reply #89
Make sure you don't have EAC adding ID3 tags or some such thing.

Aaargh, this was the problem with EAC!

I was under the impression that those options were overridden whenever you selected an external encoder.

Thanks again otto.

Reply #90
I just made new tests with the latest ITunesEncode.exe

-m (total tracks) does not seem to work
-j swapped with total tracks (from above)
-k does not work

Reply #91
Forgot to change a constant in the final loop where it's adding the tags.

Should be fixed now. Redownload and try it out.

Reply #92
Server is down and oh please put this fine app on rarewares.org

Reply #93
mmm ... i was wondering where can i download it? why don't you just post a link to it on the first thread? i would like to add it to mareo's ini ... maybe you can help

Reply #94
Otto, is the link still pointing to your home PC, as I cannot download the file. It would be cool if you could keep a mirror at my server - you have the details.

Reply #95
Sebastian: Actually, I lost those details.

Anyway, I figured out what the problem was, and my link should be back up now. SP2 changed the IP settings for that PC.

Reply #96
Is there a way to add encoding quality switches? CRB, VBR, Joint Stereo, and all that other cool stuff?

Thanks!

Reply #97
Is there a way to add encoding quality switches? CRB, VBR, Joint Stereo, and all that other cool stuff?[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=240316"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No. All this program really does is call iTunes via the COM interface. Therefore it can only expose the parts of iTunes that the COM interface actually exposes. None of that is changable via the COM interface. Heck, there's not even a way to set the bitrate.

Reply #98
Thanks for fixing the switches. As for now everything works great except the -x (Compilation switch).

Reply #99
Thanks for fixing the switches. As for now everything works great except the -x (Compilation switch).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=240345"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What's wrong with the -x? It should work. What's the command line you used?