Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: power supply question (Read 2400 times) previous topic - next topic

power supply question

Trust the answers on this site more than tech support at Gateway (bleh- never make that mistake again); so I read here about power supplies/heat sinks/fans. Antec was mentioned for power supply, along with Zalman for heat sink/fans. I checked and discovered my system (which I stupidly bought as a package deal) has 200 watt power supply- told 300 watt (seen re: Antec and others) would fry the motherboard. May I assume I have a cheap motherboard/chipset and what they say is true? Would you recommend replacing it- any suggestions. Oh, sorry- told it's Pentium III/1000MHz/Intel Family 6 Model 8 997/ Bios: American Megatrends/ told chipset 82815- not sure if that's correct. Anyway- any help would be most appreciated, as usual- thanks again- cadabra3
p.s. Any rough idea on cost? Thanks.

power supply question

Reply #1
If you get no computer freeze, blue screen or some damaged components (HDD or CDROM drives suddenly going down), it means that you Power Supply is OK

The problem may occur if you add components such as HDD, CDROM or CDRW drives.

You can also check the power given by your motherboard with software as Motherboard Monitor 5, PC probe, etc. and then check if anything is going wrong.

If you decide to change the PS, just make sure the motherboard is not  proprietary concerning the plugs (I read some problem on DELL computers), and that the size is OK.

cheers,

power supply question

Reply #2
A 300W PSU won't fry your motherboard! What do they think, that the 300W are forced onto your mobo or something? :drink: It only requests the power that it needs.

Anyways, a PIII 1 GHz is not very pretentious. A 200W PSU should normally do the trick. If your system runs stable with it, there's one thing you should remember: Never change a winning team.

power supply question

Reply #3
Originally posted by CiTay
Never change a winning team.

True for computers

Soccer ain't the same thing, we now know that in France 

Hi Citay !