Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WMP 10 is out (beta) (Read 5317 times) previous topic - next topic

WMP 10 is out (beta)

Reply #1
" Windows Media Player 10 is only available for Windows XP"

WMP 10 is out (beta)

Reply #2
" Windows Media Player 10 is only available for Windows XP"

Oooh! Surprising.

WMP 10 is out (beta)

Reply #3
So from what I can gather, there's no change to the codecs? Which makes this a bit irrelevent, I mean there's loads of people on this board who use .wma (for whatever reason), but surely very few use WMP itself? And that's all that has changed...

WMP 10 is out (beta)

Reply #4
Well, there's also the video side of things, you know. 

Yes, I know, this an audio forum, but even the best of us watch videos every now and again. 

Besides, not everyone is in love with foobar (*gasp* *shock* *horror*), so who knows... sadly, some might actually use the the defunct, preinstalled WinXP MP3 player.  You never know. 

WMP 10 is out (beta)

Reply #5
Well, there's also the video side of things, you know.  

Yes, I know, this an audio forum, but even the best of us watch videos every now and again.  

Besides, not everyone is in love with foobar (*gasp* *shock* *horror*), so who knows... sadly, some might actually use the the defunct, preinstalled WinXP MP3 player.  You never know. 

It's nothing to do with foobar.

I just feel there ain't going to be many ha users that use WMP as their preferred player, as oppposed to the one they have to use for compatibility reasons.

WMP 10 is out (beta)

Reply #6
Is it possible to uninstall this one and go back to WMP 8, just in case?
Happiness - The agreeable sensation of contemplating the misery of others.

WMP 10 is out (beta)

Reply #7
oh dear - just when i uninstalled as much as possible of WMP, WinUpdate, Outlook, IE, etc, a new version of WMP comes out - just what i needed 

I'd prefer to just grab the codecs (IF there are any codec-changes), and use whatever other non-malware infested audio- or video-player... i mean, there's really enough alternatives on the net, that to replace WMP should be the least problem.

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

WMP 10 is out (beta)

Reply #8
I really like the new interface. much less cluttered and not as messy in usage as WMP9. Much more streamlined. WMP finally shows correct VBR bitrates, and it seems alot faster in usage. Havent noticed any problems/bugs as of yet (been using it for 2 hours approx.).

All in all it seems like a good upgrade. But i think i'll stick with iTunes 4.5 anyway (it's grown on me..).
myspace.com/borgei - last.fm/user/borgei

WMP 10 is out (beta)

Reply #9
Wonder if it fixes such annoyances as no fast forward/rewind or correct time information with MP3/VBR files, annoying virtual retagging of your files, flaky cover art associations....will it support Shorten or FLAC
Was that a 1 or a 0?

WMP 10 is out (beta)

Reply #10
will it support Shorten or FLAC

Hardly, considering these are competitors to WMA Lossless.

WMP 10 is out (beta)

Reply #11
Its just a beta in its "early stages".  They don't even have a website (its hosted on the WM9 page).  I'd guess the codecs that will probably accompany it are still some months/years off.

Also, it does have an uninstaller from what i saw posted elsewhere.

WMP 10 is out (beta)

Reply #12
no wma/v10? seems m$, in contrary to real, doesnt feel the need to hurry
I know, that I know nothing (Socrates)

WMP 10 is out (beta)

Reply #13
WMP finally shows correct VBR bitrates

Almost, but no.
None of the bitrates on my mp3 VBR encodes show correctly.
It's more accurate than the crazy 400+ bitrates it used to show though.

I think its taking the bitrate of the first frame(?) in the mp3 file being played and showing that as the final bitrate.
I'm guessing this based on songs that start off quietly tending to have a lower bitrate than ones that start off loud.

I don't know anything about how mp3 decoding works so feel free to correct me.

WMP 10 is out (beta)

Reply #14
will it support Shorten or FLAC

Hardly, considering these are competitors to WMA Lossless.

Yes I know - I didn't word it well.  What I meant was will WMP allow external / command line codecs?  Rhetorical question, I assume.
Was that a 1 or a 0?

WMP 10 is out (beta)

Reply #15
Post your suggestions to Mictosoft while you still can: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...#9001;=en&cr=US Nobody knows what happens if we'll try to get something added to their player. Afterall, they need need to listen to their customers at least to some limit.