Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Plugin suggestion : sort by tag to playlist (Read 2112 times) previous topic - next topic

Plugin suggestion : sort by tag to playlist

Just playing around with the new playlist generator, and it hit me : would it be possible to write a plugin, that would create playlists on the fly, name them according to tags, and send the incoming files to the corresponding playlist. eg;

file 1 with %album%=test
if it doesn't already exist, create playlist "test".
send file to playlist "test"

or

file 2 with %year%=1956
if it doesn't already exist, create playlist "1956".
send file to playlist "1956"

etc..

I have no idea if this is even possible, but i think it would be kindda cool if it was 

edited: wrong smiley

edited again : wow, it could be like "Always send to playlist: %album%"

Reply #1
sorry for bumping this, but am i the only one who would find this even remotely interesting?

Reply #2
to be honest, i think this would overload the extrended playlistgen UI too much. I already think that there are too many options in its current version and that some should be moved into a preferences section. Of course thats just a matter of taste, so others may think differently about it.

However, i think it would be great if the extended playlistgenerator would automatically propose a name when creating a new playlist, if all files have the same artist, or same album, or same genre, etc. - i think you get the idea.
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #3
sorry, just realized that i wasnt entirely clear on what i meant. I meant to be able to enqueue files from commandline, and instead of sending them to active playlist or one with a static predefined name, it would send it to a playlist named according to the tag (eg %album%) in the "always sendt to" field in prefs --> core (or a similar field somewhere else).