Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Future of MPC (Read 3668 times) previous topic - next topic

Future of MPC

Hey, I'm writing this because I'm a user of the mpc format.
But as things are evolving I'm getting a bit unsure about the future of this format.

Things like "secret" mailinglists, encoders with reduced quality, ... scare me because of the closedsource nature of the encoder and the entire project.
Does anyone here know where mpc is headed, because I for one would really hate it to reencode all my music again to another format. (And I don't think I'm alone on this issue here)

Hope someone can clarify things here for me.

And as I suggested in another post, couldn't there be a seperate developers section where only the admins or developers could post and users can only read. Users could also post but admins would have to check the news or info first to keep it as simple and organized as possible.

Future of MPC

Reply #1
The mailinglist is mainly for the developers, and (mostly) knowledgeable people who do one of the following things:
- Programming
    - Documentation
    - (professional) web pages
    - (scientific) listening tests

It is not supposed to be secret, however, it is not public either. This is to prevent discussions like "How do i encode with this in EAC" and so on. Obviously there were some, erm, coordination issues lately, but i know that his JohnV's decision to take a break was not purely based on the mailinglist issue. Other than that, i'm not Frank's spokesperson, so if he wants to set certain limits for his list, that's up to him.

About "encoders with reduced quality": The recent encoder versions were all test versions, never intended for daily encoding use. The quality was slightly reduced, now it's going up again, as testing and tuning continues. The goal is to reduce bitrate, while maintaining percieved quality of, say, the 1.0 version. I'm quite sure that a next "release version" can achieve this.

Future of MPC

Reply #2
About the slight loss in quality, is it only in the 1.05x versions or is the 1.04 version also affected??

I'm asking this because I encoded several albums with the 1.04 version using the line : --insane --nmt 12 --tmn 28 --minSMR 0
I guess I'll probably won't notice , but I just wanna be sure.

Future of MPC

Reply #3
With that line, there's not the ghost of a chance that anyone could distinguish it from an equivalent 1.01x/1.02 encode. It's difficult enough with --standard, so don't even start to worry.

Future of MPC

Reply #4
CiTay, thanks a lot for helping me out here!!!

Future of MPC

Reply #5
You know, I realized just today that I've been moaning and whining quite a bit about Frank.  Honestly, I guess that in the end, I don't much care how elitist or harsh he is, or gets.  I went to MPC because of the quality, not the developer.  I'm sorry if I've offended anyone by griping about current issues, I was alarmed at what was going on.  I do wish that Frank would allow a more public mailing list, so that he could get responses and input from public users, but I'm guessing that he wants to filter out all the aggrevating mini-posts and "how-to" questions.  A lot of those can be solved, however, by the upcoming Musepack.org FAQ section.  It's coming up fast, and I'm planning to do a fairly detailed "how-to" FAQ for them, as soon as I get all the info together, as well as some free time.  Maybe Frank, when he sees that his users are getting frustrated, will keep talking to them..it's the best thing for him to keep his user base, and keep them happy.  And whether you believe it or not, a format's user base *is* it's future.  We may never have hardware support or mass appeal if we can't get new users attracted to the format and the community.  Let's stick together on this one, this format is a real gem, and I think that we can make it go places.

Future of MPC

Reply #6
Originally posted by silver_cpu
Let's stick together on this one, this format is a real gem, and I think that we can make it go places.

Agreed
[span style=\'font-family:Arial\'][span style=\'color:red\']Life Sucks Deeply[/span][/span]