Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Tagging albums with various artists (Read 2520 times) previous topic - next topic

Tagging albums with various artists

I've been looking around for specific info on tagging songs on my soundtracks. All my albums are ripped in vorbis format, so I don't know if the tag supports the ALBUM ARTIST field, but I suppose that the info would be stored in foobar's database if the vorbis tag itself didn't support it.

I'm just a little confused about the specifics. Do I put "Various Artists" in a field called ALBUM ARTIST, then put the actual performer in the ARTIST field?

Reply #1
I'd put 'VA' in the %ALBUM ARTIST% field and yes, Vorbis Comments support any fieldname you want.
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #2
Cool. Thanks. Do iTunes encoded .m4a (aac in an mp4 wrapper, I believe) files support a various artists tag, or will those only be stored by foobar's database?

Also, my current default sort string is:

Code: [Select]
%ARTIST% - %ALBUM% - $num(%TRACKNUMBER%,3) - %TITLE%

How would I change that to ensure that the various artist albums get sorted properly?

Reply #3
How would I change that to ensure that the various artist albums get sorted properly?

Depending on how you tag your files exactly I would say.  In case you use either a various tag or an album artist tag to store the information in you want displayed instead of artist in your main formatting you could sort your files by
$if2(%various%,%ARTIST%) - %ALBUM% - $num(%TRACKNUMBER%,3) - %TITLE%
or
$if2(%album artist%,%ARTIST%) - %ALBUM% - $num(%TRACKNUMBER%,3) - %TITLE%
or even
$if3(%album artist%,%various%,%ARTIST%) - %ALBUM% - $num(%TRACKNUMBER%,3) - %TITLE%