Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP3/MPC -> 128kbit MP3 (Read 3360 times) previous topic - next topic

MP3/MPC -> 128kbit MP3

I have a large library of MPC and MP3 files on my computer at varying bitrates. I also have an iPod, but as it's only 5GB I'm slightly short of space on it and want to stick to 128kbit MP3s in order to fit more music on.

As I have set up foobar to store all of my library of music in several playlists, I was wondering if there was an easy way to essentially select tracks in either format and use the Diskwriter plus LAME to output to 128kbit MP3s, all from within foobar. This would be advantageous to me because it would mean that I wouldn't have to use 2 separate progs to decode from MP3 / MPC -> WAV and then from WAV -> 128kbit MP3.

I know that re-encoding is bad, but I would still like to give it a go; most of my MP3s are 192+kbit, and all of my MPCs are high quality so hopefully the quality loss through re-encoding wouldn't be too great.

Is this possible? I've tried putting the lame_enc.dll file into both the root foobar folder and the components folder, and the Diskwriter fails to pick it up on both occasions. Am I missing something (likely)?

arty

MP3/MPC -> 128kbit MP3

Reply #1
I think you need to use lame.exe instead of the dll (not 100% sure, I don't use mp3 at all) - just put it into the foobar2000 folder
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

MP3/MPC -> 128kbit MP3

Reply #2
I think you need to use lame.exe instead of the dll (not 100% sure, I don't use mp3 at all) - just put it into the foobar2000 folder

Unfortunately that didn't seem to work either  Anyone else got any ideas?

arty

MP3/MPC -> 128kbit MP3

Reply #3
I'm sure it works.

Use foobar2000 v0.8.1 as it already features both the diskwiter and the cli encoder. As ssamadhi97 wrote, you'll need to put lame.exe in the foobar2000 folder.

Also, to encode to mp3 @ 128kbps, you'll have to create a specific command line encoder setting (because only presets are originaly included).

MP3/MPC -> 128kbit MP3

Reply #4
In addition to the two complete answers:
did you tried AAC?
IIRC, even the first iPod generation support this audioformat through a firmware update. Expecting a better quality for the same bitrate (or approx. the same quality with smaller files) is not completely senseless. It will depend on the AAC encoder, and the kind of music.
With foobar2000, it's very easy to batch reencode every supported format in AAC (iPod compatible), using Nero software in background (you need a registered encoder), or FAAC (but quality is less convincing).

What do you think about it?
Wavpack Hybrid: one encoder for all scenarios
WavPack -c4.5hx6 (44100Hz & 48000Hz) ≈ 390 kbps + correction file
WavPack -c4hx6 (96000Hz) ≈ 768 kbps + correction file
WavPack -h (SACD & DSD) ≈ 2400 kbps at 2.8224 MHz

MP3/MPC -> 128kbit MP3

Reply #5
nyarlathotep
I'm sure it works.

Use foobar2000 v0.8.1 as it already features both the diskwiter and the cli encoder. As ssamadhi97 wrote, you'll need to put lame.exe in the foobar2000 folder.

I've put the .exe in the folder, but under the Diskwriter Output presets when I press 'Add new' it only has WAV (fixed and floating point) and '0.7 Legacy output', of which it claims there are none. Am I being dense? (likely )

guruboolez
In addition to the two complete answers:
did you tried AAC?
IIRC, even the first iPod generation support this audioformat through a firmware update. Expecting a better quality for the same bitrate (or approx. the same quality with smaller files) is not completely senseless. It will depend on the AAC encoder, and the kind of music.
With foobar2000, it's very easy to batch reencode every supported format in AAC (iPod compatible), using Nero software in background (you need a registered encoder), or FAAC (but quality is less convincing).

What do you think about it?

Interesting thought, but as I have no experience with AAC I'd not really considered it. I might do some 128kbit MP3 vs. AAC listening tests if I can get my head around encoding them - thanks

arty

MP3/MPC -> 128kbit MP3

Reply #6
Are you sure you have the command line encoder installed.  If you do there should be a "command line encoder" option in the add new dialog.

Make sure you have foo_clienc.dll in your components folder.

MP3/MPC -> 128kbit MP3

Reply #7
Are you sure you have the command line encoder installed.  If you do there should be a "command line encoder" option in the add new dialog.

Make sure you have foo_clienc.dll in your components folder.

Right, it's not there - that's my problem

I've tried downloading foo_clienc from here but it doesn't seem to be there any more. A few searches have turned up nothing. Does anyone know of a new URL to download it at?

arty

MP3/MPC -> 128kbit MP3

Reply #9
I suggest downloading foobar2000 v0.8 special installer:
http://www.foobar2000.com/download.html

Ah-hah, that did it - thanks a lot. I didn't see the CLI Encoder listed as a component under the special installer otherwise I'd have tried that long ago

Fully sorted it now, thanks to everyone who replied

arty