Skip to main content
Topic: Have I REALLY screwed up?/How hard is it? (Read 3170 times) previous topic - next topic

Have I REALLY screwed up?/How hard is it?

Hey People,
I brought a plextor PX-40TS last August 2001 and it's been good.
BUT, I think i've been using it it EAC wrong.
I have been using secure mode/c2 info ON/no caching.
Is this correct? I read somewhere that this drives caches and C2 error information isn't reliable. I through plextor was perfect/c2 errof info perfect and no caching, that why I spent like 5 times a normal cd-rom drive 2 get PERFECT results....

All I wanted was perfect rips at good speed with no errors. I have firmware 1.13.
I through plextor was accurate stream/c2 errof info and no caching. EAC also said that this is the case autodetectiong. This is why I spent like 5 times the normal cost of a normal cd-rom drive 2 get PERFECT results....

I really can't see why a manufacture of a cd-rom can't see that people want a perfect drive with fast accurate audio reading in mind. I don't think with todays technology it would be hard to have a drive that ripps 15x+ accuratly, no caching that hard 2 make....
Anyways,
Thanks in Advannce,
Scott (From Australia)

Reply #1
Can Some NICE person reply?
Take Care,
Scott

Reply #2
Originally posted by burgerings
Take Care,
Scott

Uhm, I'm not sure what reply you are expecting. You'd need someone with the exact same drive, and even then, what is going to happen? You've got conflicting information about whether or not the drive does caching/correct C2.

A link to the 'somewhere' that says it does caching and C2 might help.

Another thing that you can do is to email the manufacturer. Sometimes you get clueless answers from helpdesk morons, sometimes you are lucky and get a direct reply from the technical staff.

--
GCP

Reply #3
don't use caching.
use accurate stream.
c2 can be used if you are abselutely sure that the drive supports it. Generally I would adwise not to use it since it's hard to determain if it's supported or not even though EAC says it is.

Reply #4
Originally posted by burgerings
Take Care,
Scott

Take a look at this:
http://www.ping.be/satcp/eacoffsets01.htm#-

Apparently, it does NOT cache audio.

Also, as a rule of thumb, if you want perfect rips you shouldn't use C2. In the latest EAC versions, you should check "drive has C2" but uncheck "use C2" (something like that, I don't have EAC on the system I'm using ATM).

However, IIRC, that Plextor drive is one of the few drives that has 100% accurate C2 info, so it shouldn't matter much.

So, to conclude, I don't think you "screwed up". Quality should be fine with your settings.

HTH.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Reply #5
Hey Peeps,
Well I'm still a bit lost.
I have simplied used my plextor with the option accurate stream, no caching and c2 info on without the "second option" ticked.
I really through this drive was good and these setting were right as the ping.be sith says... I really through plextor had 100% accurate c2 error info anyway....
Anyway Thanks,
Scott

Reply #6
Originally posted by PoisonDan
Also, as a rule of thumb, if you want perfect rips you shouldn't use C2. In the latest EAC versions, you should check "drive has C2" but uncheck "use C2" 

Checking "drive has C2" will use C2.
Checking "use C2" will deglitch all C2 errors on the fly.

Reply #7
I use these setting to make it more clearer:
I've got these 2 boxes ticked.
Secure Mode/Drive is capable of retrieving C2 error informations
but don't have drive caches audio data box ticked.

If I uncheck c2 info box eac just keeps re-reading the cd and slows right down....
Anyway So my setting are fine for perfect rips then? And does my plextor drive have perfect c2 info?
Take Care,.
Scott

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2020