Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Viewing Raw Tag data in Audio Files (Read 3529 times) previous topic - next topic

Viewing Raw Tag data in Audio Files

Does anyone know if there are tools that support every tagging format known to mankind?  Foobar really got me confused because I didn't realize until just now that it was tagging things in APE format, and I was really confused about why my other programs couldn't seem to "repair" the ID3 tags.

Now I've been writing apes on top of ID3v2 on top if V1 and I want to see what kind of mess I've made.  I don't know much about the APE tag specs either... is there a website that details it well (from a developer perspective?)  Can APE and ID3v2 and ID3v1 coexist?

Any links, suggestions for software or other info would be much appreciated.  I am rather anal about the integrety and completeness of my tags.

Reply #1
Ah, guess I'll add that I've been using hex editors to see raw data, but it is not easy to read in this way.  I managed to kill or otherwise bungle XVI32 doing this.  Opening a ~100MB file in a hex editor sometimes isn't pretty... it'd be nice to only get the tag components' and maybe the MPEG or MP3 header, but not the actual contents of the file (which don't mean much to my eyes)

Reply #2
Check under 'Playback->Input->Standard inputs'  in preferences, there you can set  that APEv2 will be used with ID3v1. SOme toher combinations are also possible.
Life is Real...
(But not in audio :) )

Reply #3
Well, I know about that already, but I just wanted more information on how ape tags work mainly.  Maybe the fact that foobar doesn't allow APE tags and ID3v2 at the same time says something.

Ape tags go at the end of the file right?  I presume that ID3 tags can go after them, and that APE tagging actually has inherent support for ID3v1

Reply #4
oh, even better... can Lyrics3, APE, ID3v1 and ID3v2 all get along?  I'm gonna play with that a bit just for fun...

Reply #5
I think there was a discussion about this once (or some similar multi-tag topic), do a forum search with all the mentioned tagging terms.
But I think all this is technically possible, though hardware players will likely not recognize all this stuff.
Life is Real...
(But not in audio :) )

Reply #6
For redundancy's sake, APE has all the flexibility you'll ever need, except for timed lyrics, unless someone creates a text-based format to go in X field in the tag.

You don't need both ID3v2 and APE.

Reply #7
Well, the tests I did seem to indicate that all these tags can work together, but not very many things support the Lyrics3 extensions.  When writing tags, Foobar2000 overwrites the Lyrcs3.

I think that L3 is a good idea, but it's designed to be a simple way to overcome the limitations of the ID3v1 tags while retaining reverse compatibility, so it has problems of its own.  I guess it is possible that some players might handle the extra bit of data (max 250 characters, I believe) in an unpredictable way (such as playing noise at the end of a song).

The ape tags that Foobar uses are much more useful, imho... but I still don't know a lot about them... I at least know now that they go at the end of a song, and that they are fairly extensible.

Reply #9
Information about APEv2 can be found here: http://doc.hydrogenaudio.org/wikis/hydrogenaudio/APEv2
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=204046"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Is there an up-to-date link that has this info?  It seems to have gone dead.

Reply #10
Is there an up-to-date link that has this info?  It seems to have gone dead.[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php/APE_Tags]http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php/APE_Tags[/url]