Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Extended Playlist Generator (Read 86209 times) previous topic - next topic

Extended Playlist Generator

Reply #75
This is not the case if you add one of the mentioned plugins.

Does simply adding foo_playlistgen_ex to the components directory cause the problem?  The only reason I ask is because playlistgen_ex really isn't a "background" type plugin.  That is, once it's config is read, it's totally inert unless you use it.

At any rate, I'll send a PM to danz... I have no clue how playlistgen_ex could even efffect foo_looks.
Santa is very jolly because he knows where all the bad girls live.  - Dennis Miller

Reply #76
koach Posted on Apr 29 2004, 10:11 PM
Preset name including ']' character isn't saved properly after restart.

Thanks.  I'll add a "trap" for characters that can't be stored and either encode them or convert them to something else.  I put the fix in the next release.

koach Posted on Apr 29 2004, 10:11 PM
Anyway, thanks for the nice component which is really useful.

Thanks! 
Santa is very jolly because he knows where all the bad girls live.  - Dennis Miller

Reply #77
Sorry, I guess I didn't explain it very well.
The problem is only visible in foo_looks and both foo_ui_columns and this plugin triggers it. I don't know if your "Extended Playlist generator" cause any problems with foo_ui_columns or vise versa, as I don't use foo_ui_columns. The only thing I know is that both of them interfere with foo_looks. foo_playcount does not cause the same thing, at least not that I'm aware of.

This problem can, as I've said already, only be seen in foo_looks. If you download foo_looks and try the default look, you will see that without any of these plugins it will highlight the current track properly in the playlist (the one in the look/skin) even after changing to the next track. This is not the case if you add one of the mentioned plugins. Then it will lose the highlighting when you change to the next track. In my look i make the playlist scroll on each new track, to make it appear in the middle of my playlist. This functionality behaves correctly as long as I don't add any of the two plugins (note: In any case it won't work for the first two tracks in the playlist, but that is related to a problem in my code that I haven't fixed yet. So, to try it, make sure you play the 3rd track or higher in you playlist).

Btw: I don't know anything about the SDK or the way foobar itself works.
onplaybacknewtrack(this) is used in the LUA part of foo_looks coding.

Was this any clearer?

This is probably the same thing that was happening with foo_scroll. foo_looks gets its on_playback_new_track callback before the playlist engine, and so the current playing idx is not available.

It should not be specifcially related to foo_ui_columns or foo_playlistgen_ex. It either needs to be changed in foo_looks (I dont know it works in there currently, it would be fixed by posting a message to its window, and then an extra lua callback in foo_looks it would seem from your example), or maybe an on_playback_new_track_after callback could be added to the sdk, or maybe foobar could do whatever it was doing before 0.8.1 when this probalem didnt seem to exist (?).

Reply #78
tboehrer,

Great work on the plugin!  I have a few requests:  When you generate a playlist, can you make an option to overwrite playlists with the same name?  For instance, I have a list called 'good stuff', and if I generate another, it names it 'good stuff (1)', while I really just want the contents updated in the other list.

Also, could you add a 'generate all' button too?  Just one that creates all the different presets that you have.  I've got about 5 presets right now, and planning for more, and it would be nice to click one button to update them all at once.

Thanks a lot for putting in the time to add to foobar!

BO(V)BZ

Reply #79
When you generate a playlist, can you make an option to overwrite playlists with the same name? For instance, I have a list called 'good stuff', and if I generate another, it names it 'good stuff (1)', while I really just want the contents updated in the other list.

Did you check the "Overwrite" checkbox (next to the playlist name field)?  This should do exactly what you want.

Also, could you add a 'generate all' button too? Just one that creates all the different presets that you have. I've got about 5 presets right now, and planning for more, and it would be nice to click one button to update them all at once.

I assume you are using the "Generate Playlist" dialog?  If so, you can multi-select in the listbox and generate multiples.  You can also press Ctrl-A to select all.

Great work on the plugin!

Thanks! 

Reply #80
Well...

Thanks then!  I should have rooted around a little more first =]

Any plans to add anything else to this?

Reply #81

The next release will probably just have some minor fixes.  Past that?  Dunno.  I would like to be able to assign a hot-key to a given preset.  Someone will eventually come up with something I can't resist adding. 

Reply #82

The next release will probably just have some minor fixes.  Past that?  Dunno.  I would like to be able to assign a hot-key to a given preset.  Someone will eventually come up with something I can't resist adding. 

I guess one thing that might be good would be providing the generator as a service (I think that is the right word).. then the people writing alternative UIs could incorporate clever playlist generation into their interfaces..

Reply #83
That would be nice Teetee,

I'd like to see more features rolled up into the main core of foobar, such as the dbsearch, etc.  A separate, stripped down version could always be available for those people who would die if foobar ever eats that extra 2k of RAM =]

Reply #84
Hmh, seems that I still have found a few feature requests after all.  Not sure how easy they would be to implement though.

One of them would be to have the option that generates either time or size limited playlists to generate mutliple playlists as well. Meaning that as soon as one playlist is filled up (to it's limit) the next one is generated.

The second one would be the ability to generate a playlist of all the files in the database that are currently not beeing generated by any of the other playlists.

Although it is already possible to do so by adding an extra preset with some intricate scripting.

As I said though, probably quite hard to implement.

Reply #85
Guess I will also quickly post the way in wich I have personally found the extended playlist generator to work best for me.

One of the most important things I find is to have a clean database. Make sure there are no duplicate or dead entries, etc.  Remove dead entries button and rescan database work perfect for this.

Make sure the database is limited to the directories that you want to e managed by the playlist generator.

Then one has to come up with some kind of unique tagging scheme that one would like to use for organizing ones files.  That would probably differ a lot from user to user and quite some different schemes are possible. Even when just using standard tags.

Think of a way you would like to organize your playlists and add presets for all of them in the playlist generator.

Then make sure all newly encued files get encued in a playlist called new (core options).  Make sure you update your tags as soon as possible.

Voila, every time you run your playlist generator presets you will have entirely updated playlists.

Might take some effort to set up in the beginning, but once it is up and running it basically all works by itself.  Of course you can still use the playlist generator to add single playlists anytime. For example when just looking for a certain artist, etc.

Reply #86
I knew picmixer would have some ideas.  I think picmixer is currently, or was in a former life, a software product manager... 

One of them would be to have the option that generates either time or size limited playlists to generate mutliple playlists as well. Meaning that as soon as one playlist is filled up (to it's limit) the next one is generated.

The hard part about this one is really just the interface.  I guess you'd set up your limits just like normal, and there would be another checkbox called "Multi-Playlist", or "Rollover" or something like that?

Also, what would the results list show?  Currently, the results only shows the subset (up to the set limits).  Would it now show all matches again, and when "Create Playlist" is pressed create the multiple playlists?

The second one would be the ability to generate a playlist of all the files in the database that are currently not beeing generated by any of the other playlists.

Again, how would you tell the generator to do that?  For example, what would the Query field contain?  Would it just be ignored?  Could this be implemented in a different dialog?

From a coding standpoint, it wouldn't be that hard.

Reply #87
I knew picmixer would have some ideas.  I think picmixer is currently, or was in a former life, a software product manager...

Nah, neither of the two I am afraid. If then I would probably just be driving my BMW to the next computer store rather then worrying about how to replace my broken motherboard .

Just happen to like this plugin a lot though.

The hard part about this one is really just the interface. I guess you'd set up your limits just like normal, and there would be another checkbox called "Multi-Playlist", or "Rollover" or something like that?

Also, what would the results list show? Currently, the results only shows the subset (up to the set limits). Would it now show all matches again, and when "Create Playlist" is pressed create the multiple playlists?

Indeed, the resultlist would somehow have to get circumvented in this case, or maybe even tabbed. Although I would think that tabbed would probably be rather overkill.

Or maybe the resultlist could simply actually show the results of the entire query and only split it into sizes upon actual playlits creation.

Some kind of check box like multi playlists was indeed what I had in mind as well.

Again, how would you tell the generator to do that? For example, what would the Query field contain? Would it just be ignored? Could this be implemented in a different dialog?

From a coding standpoint, it wouldn't be that hard.

Maybe the query field could just use some kind of special operator, like LEFTOVER for example. Simply beeing used standalone.  The user could then even give the playlist a custom name.

This would only be used in combination with presets and the generate playlists window, so I would say whenever there are multiple playlists selected and the LEFTOVER preset is one of them, it should then at last generate a playlist with all the files that where not generated as part of any of the other playlists.

Reply #88
Oh, just noted a few things that would be nice to have:

I'd like to be able to re-order the presets, as currently there is no way to, as far as I can tell.  You could just make them drag-able when you open the config menu and hit the preset button.

Another small thing I've noticed is if I open the 'generate playlist' option and immediately hi [control]-a to select all, the generate button is greyed out.  Not sure if this is something that can be fixed, or that's just what happens when foobar creates a new window, but if you could change that, it would be great!

And lastly, I was wondering if you could add new fields, as picmixed suggested with the LEFTOVER option.  I wasn't sure this was hard-coded into foobar's default playlist generator.  I'd like to see the addition of an EXISTS tools, so you could do a query that was something like 'good EXISTS AND cover EXISTS' if I was trying to find any files that match whatever I set to have both the cover and good tags, regardless of what their contents are.

Thanks for listening, and thanks for coding one more of those 'how-did-I-live-without-this' plugins =]

BO(V)BZ

Reply #89
I'd like to see the addition of an EXISTS tools, so you could do a query that was something like 'good EXISTS AND cover EXISTS' if I was trying to find any files that match whatever I set to have both the cover and good tags, regardless of what their contents are.

I think this should already be quite easily possible using the following syntax
Code: [Select]
cover IS * AND good IS *
of course combined with whatever other syntax you use.

You would quickly have to try out though wether it does exactly what you want.

Of course there really nothing against adding that as a preset as well I assume.

Reply #90
...if I open the 'generate playlist' option and immediately hi [control]-a to select all, the generate button is greyed out.

Bug.  Will be fixed in the next version.  Thanks.

Reply #91
Maybe the query field could just use some kind of special operator, like LEFTOVER for example. Simply beeing used standalone.  The user could then even give the playlist a custom name.

Hmh, thought about it once more. Maybe a simple checkbox in the genrate playlist dialog like : "generate leftovers" would actually be more then enough in this case.

Of course it wouldn't allow the user to define a custom name for that playlist anymore.

Reply #92
Hmm, I like this idea  A check box seems the way forward. tho maybe the checkbox should be "leftovers only" or "generate from leftovers" - because you may wish to still have a query. you may wish to find all the feeder tracks that arn't already in a play list for example, not neccesarily generate *all* the leftovers.

[EDIT] Wait there, why can't it just be added to "Search What:" am i missing something?  [/EDIT]

Steve

Reply #93
Another small thing I seem to have forgotten to add

I personally still would find it quite usefull to have an import and export presets button in the main "generate playlists" window.  All current presets should then be exported to or imported from some kind of preset file. Maybe in a subfolder called playlistgen presets or something

I think this would save a lot of time setting up the playlist generator on different foobar installations or even on clean installs.

Furthermore it would be very easy that way to manage between different sets of presets quickly.

Reply #94
I think this should already be quite easily possible using the following syntax
cover IS * AND good IS *
of course combined with whatever other syntax you use.

You would quickly have to try out though wether it does exactly what you want.

Of course there really nothing against adding that as a preset as well I assume.

Picmixer,

Thanks for pointing that out!  I didn't notice the wildcards, partly because the text file describing how to use it uses asterixes for to delineate each new item.

Reply #95
Maybe I haven't seen this option but wouldn't it be nice to have the ability to choose to create the playlists on startup (and to display or just save them)?

Thanks for this great plugin!

MoR

Reply #96
I've tried and I've tried but cannot get this to work. Maybe you know the answer.

I want to make a playlist of my mp3s that are Live recordings. They are all tagged with Live as the Album, or the title includes the word Live, or the filename says live.

I do a simple query on the word Live - and Yes! - my Live tracks are listed.

However, I want to exclude the BBC recordings - I want just In Concert type live performances.

What's the query to give me Live but not BBC ???

Reply #97
Hmh, you could try
(* HAS live) AND (NOT (* HAS BBC))
as your syntax for this.  Couldn't verify this precicely with your own tagging scheme of course, but it should do the job.

Reply #98
picmixer, you're wonderful! Of course it worked.
many thanks

Reply #99
oh dear, I don't seem to have got the hang of this query lark. I cannot get the result I'm looking for.

A simple query of Live, returns all my Live tracks. That's good. But, How do I get a Playlist of all my tracks that are NOT live???