Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Extended Playlist Generator (Read 86214 times) previous topic - next topic

Extended Playlist Generator

Reply #100
A simple query of Live, returns all my Live tracks. That's good. But, How do I get a Playlist of all my tracks that are NOT live???

The "NOT" keyword reverses the logic...  That is, each query should be thought of as being true or false when compared to a track.  So, in this case, you want to match where "track is live" is false.

So... if the following returns live tracks:

Code: [Select]
* HAS live

this return not live tracks:

Code: [Select]
NOT * HAS live

When compared to a a non-live track, the first example produces "false", which would exclude it from the result.  So we NOT it, which now makes it "true".

Long explanation.... Make sense?
Santa is very jolly because he knows where all the bad girls live.  - Dennis Miller

Reply #101
Oh thank you tboehrer.
The NOT  *  HAS live query worked a treat. I've now got my playlist, thanks to you.

I work in an office with loads of Analysts and Programmers. I can never understand their logic and reasoning that takes you from one step to another. My mind works on intuition and instinct. Very often I have an answer before them, they cannot understand how I've arrived at it so quick. And I cannot explain the steps how I got there.
Long explanation.... Make sense!
Thanks for taking the trouble to set it out so clearly for me.

Reply #102
Ok, small help file temporarlily uploaded here untill the release of the next version.

Includes a few examples, etc. Am sure some will look familiar

Reply #103
...ability to generate a playlist of all the files in the database that are currently not beeing generated by any of the other playlists.

Maybe the query field could just use some kind of special operator, like LEFTOVER for example. Simply beeing used standalone. The user could then even give the playlist a custom name.

This would only be used in combination with presets and the generate playlists window, so I would say whenever there are multiple playlists selected and the LEFTOVER preset is one of them, it should then at last generate a playlist with all the files that where not generated as part of any of the other playlists.

Is there an expectation that more than one preset with a query of "leftover" will ever be needed?  i.e., If there can only ever be one, then using the query builder dialog (and saving it as a preset) may not make sense.

I was wondering about adding a button to the "Generate Playlist" dialog called "Leftover" (or whatever).  You'd select the presets, and instead of pressing "Generate" like you do now, you'd press "Leftover" which would generate the playlist (of tracks not included in the selected presets).
Santa is very jolly because he knows where all the bad girls live.  - Dennis Miller

Reply #104
Is there an expectation that more than one preset with a query of "leftover" will ever be needed?  i.e., If there can only ever be one, then using the query builder dialog (and saving it as a preset) may not make sense.

No I personally really can't think of a situation where more then one leftover preset would be needed.  So indeed, implementing it in the generate playlist dialog would probably make the most sense and be the most intuitive.

I was wondering about adding a button to the "Generate Playlist" dialog called "Leftover" (or whatever). You'd select the presets, and instead of pressing "Generate" like you do now, you'd press "Leftover" which would generate the playlist (of tracks not included in the selected presets).

Hmh, my latest vision of this  , was a small checkbox with a small text input box to the right, where the user could still define the name of the playlist that is created. Shouldn't take that much space.

A simple generate leftovers button is fine with me as well.  The only small disadvantage I could see with that is that it would be necessary to open the "generate playlist" dialog twice instead of once with just a checkbox.

Reply #105
Hmh, my latest vision of this  , was a small checkbox with a small text input box to the right, where the user could still define the name of the playlist that is created. Shouldn't take that much space.

I gotcha... I missed that.  That would work too, and provide a way to name the playlist.

A simple generate leftovers button is fine with me as well. The only small disadvantage I could see with that is that it would be necessary to open the "generate playlist" dialog twice instead of once with just a checkbox.

I don't understand the "open twice" statement.  You'd just open the dialog, select presets, and press the button.  But since I understand your above idea, it probably doesn't matter.

Reply #106
I personally still would find it quite usefull to have an import and export presets button in the main "generate playlists" window. All current presets should then be exported to or imported from some kind of preset file. Maybe in a subfolder called playlistgen presets or something

I think this would save a lot of time setting up the playlist generator on different foobar installations or even on clean installs.

Technically, you can do that now.  The presets are saved to "foo_playlistgen_ex.ini" in the components directory.  It's just a text file.  For now, this will probably do since exporting to a text file wouldn't be any simpler to edit/copy.

Reply #107
Technically, you can do that now.  The presets are saved to "foo_playlistgen_ex.ini" in the components directory.  It's just a text file.  For now, this will probably do since exporting to a text file wouldn't be any simpler to edit/copy.

Doh, how could I have overlooked that one. 

Yes that will do just fine for now 

Reply #108
Paranoia Posted: May 5 2004, 10:08 AM Click for link 
Hmm, I like this idea  A check box seems the way forward. tho maybe the checkbox should be "leftovers only" or "generate from leftovers" - because you may wish to still have a query. you may wish to find all the feeder tracks that arn't already in a play list for example, not neccesarily generate *all* the leftovers.

I think (I could be wrong) that picmixer is talking about a checkbox + field on the "Generate Playlist" dialog.  My quandry of putting anything on the "Configure Playlist Query" dialog is that this dialog is concerned with building a query, whereas the "Leftover" feature is concerned with Presets.  i.e., Showing what is leftover from the sum of 1 or more Presets.

Paranoia Posted: May 5 2004, 10:08 AM Click for link 
[EDIT] Wait there, why can't it just be added to "Search What:" am i missing something?  [/EDIT]

Well, the "Search What" indicates the source of the search, not what is produced.  Unless I misunderstand what you are saying, "Search What" wouldn't be the best place to indicate "leftovers" should be produced.

Reply #109
small help file
most helpful, thank you.
%__bitrate EQUAL 192". Might help you to finally sort out those bad 192 kbps cbr scene rips that you wanted to send to the recycle bin for such a long time already
I'm new in here so this comment was lost on me. What's potentially wrong with my 192's ??

Reply #110
%__bitrate EQUAL 192". Might help you to finally sort out those bad 192 kbps cbr scene rips that you wanted to send to the recycle bin for such a long time already
I'm new in here so this comment was lost on me. What's potentially wrong with my 192's ??

Nothing is all that wrong with your 192's although there are definitely better ways to encode an mp3 nowadays. For example with --alt-preset-standard.

The comment was more meant as a joke to brighten up this help file a bit rather then anything else. Since the release scene and quite a few other people still widely use 192 kbs true stereo for encoding nowadays.  A slightly outdated standard in my opinion and in some circumstances this setting hasn't been that transparent after all.

Probably should have putten a sarcasm tag around it somehow

EDIT: Help text slightly updated. Same download link

Reply #111
Yes, since finding out about --alt-preset-standard, I have just started using it.

Although much of my CD collection I've already ripped using Musicmatch (don't pull a face like that, I knew no better).

What do you think, should I set about redoing it all, using --alt-preset-standard. Like most folk there are a few hundred albums involved. To what extent is it worth the effort.
Help text slightly updated.
yes I noticed the Live but not BBC line - that was something I needed help with.

Reply #112
Thanks for the help file, it's really useful.
A bit of nitpicking:
__bitrate EQUAL 192 -Will create a playlist that contains all files with bitrates of exactly 192. (Note: you can replace EQUAL with GREATER or LESS for the appropriate operations. Also you can combine the two above strings as: "%__codec% IS mp3 AND %__bitrate EQUAL 192".

... A __bitrate, without the %s; a %__codec%, with the %s; and finally a %__bitrate...

Reply #113
A __bitrate, without the %s; a %__codec%, with the %s; and finally a %__bitrate... 

The "%__bitrate EQUAL 192" missing the second % is a typo.  But either of the other forms is OK.  That is, %__codec% and __codec will both work.

Reply #114
Picmixer and tboerher,

Thanks for adding some help files for this plugin.  The one thing I see holding back foobar is the addition of good help, as most people aren't willing to spend the time to use all the great features if they can't right off the bat.  I'd propose that you add a 'starter' pack of common playlist queries, so that people can use the plugin right off the bat, and also see how it works so that they can make their own from there, or expand upon the originals.  If all the plugin designers did this, it would make it much easier to get the hang of the plugin, especially since many threads involving the plugins are 20 pages long! 

Oh, and one small feature request:  could you add a new query field PIVOT? [or something like this, this is the only name I could come up with] 

Usage:  you would make a playlist query like 'PIVOT genre', and it would create a different playlist for each different value found for genre, so it would generate a series of lists, titled with the genre name, or whatever query you use.  You might have to put a limit of one PIVOT statement per query, otherwise it would get very messy, but I don't see much use of two PIVOT statements in a single query anyways. 

Of course, this could easily integrate with other statements, so you could do something like:  PIVOT date AND date GREATER 1990 to make lists of any music newer than 1990.

I'm not sure how hard that would be to code, but I think that would make a few people happy, so they could generate all the playlists they wanted.

Thanks,

BO(V)BZ

Reply #115
Can someone show me how to combine two search queries? For example, I want to make a playlist of all my Radiohead Studio Albums AND B-Sides, so I use something this:

(artist IS Radiohead) AND (%_directoryname% HAS B-sides OR %_directoryname% HAS Studio Albums)

This turns up all Radiohead songs in directories with "B-sides", but it doesn't give me any of the Studio Albums, which are also in a directory that has that name. What am I doing wrong here?

Reply #116
@tboehrer: After v.1.1.1 this plugin started to interfere with foo_looks. It messes up  because foo_looks no longer executes functions upon track change properly. At least the playback triggered event onplaybacknewtrack(this) in foo_looks, seems to be affected.

i had the same problem with onplaybacknewtrack(this)

no more problem if delete foo_wma.dll...

or
delete standard ui
Music is my first love.

Reply #117
I want to make a playlist of all my Radiohead Studio Albums AND B-Sides, so I use something this:

(artist IS Radiohead) AND (%_directoryname% HAS B-sides OR %_directoryname% HAS Studio Albums)

This turns up all Radiohead songs in directories with "B-sides", but it doesn't give me any of the Studio Albums, which are also in a directory that has that name. What am I doing wrong here?

It looks like %_directoryname% is just the immediate parent directory, not the entire path.  Try %_path% instead?

Reply #118
^^ thanks

Is there any way that this component could be extended so that it could scan an entire directory, regardless of what's in the database or playlists? I'd love to have it so that I can scan my entire mp3 folder, weed out some of the directories that I don't want in there, and create a playlist containing everything in it. That way, keeping my "everything" playlist up to date would be as easy as hitting a button

Reply #119
Is there any reason why the following query doesn't work?

$sub(20040516151100,%play_stamp%) GREATER 1

If I put the $sub bit in to my title string, there are plenty of tracks which have a value greater than 1

If I put it into the Extended playlist generator, it doesn't produce any results. I've tried searching playlists and databases so I don't think it is any setting like that wrong..

The reason I want to use a query like that is to be able to generate lists with conditions like "not played for x mins/hours/days/months" etc.

Reply #120
Is there any reason why the following query doesn't work?

$sub(20040516151100,%play_stamp%) GREATER 1

Yeah... I noticed a couple days ago that title formatting functions aren't accepted.  I tested the original 0.8.1 version of the Playlist generator, and it doesn't work there either.

I'll look into it when I get some free time.

Reply #121
New Version 1.3.2 (May 17 2004):

1) Fixed bug with window title not being updated after an invalid query, or a query resulting in 0 matches.

2) Pressing Ctrl-A in the "Generate Playlist" dialog was not enabling the "Generate" button.

3) Added HTML help.  Thanks picmixer.

4) Fixed problem with not being able to use title formatting functions in the Query field (ex. $left(...)).

5) Fixed bug with preset names including "[" or "]" not being saved.  The fix is a "lazy man's" fix in that [ and ] are replaced with ( and ) respectively.  i.e., The [ and ] are not preserved in the preset name.

Playlist Generator - Extended (Binary)

Playlist Generator - Extended (Source)

Reply #122
Thanks a lot!

Glad that you squashed that bug about control-a.  I know it's not the biggest thing, but I like it =]

BO(V)BZ

Reply #123
I'd like to be able to manually sort the "Generate Playlist" list

Reply #124
4) Fixed problem with not being able to use title formatting functions in the Query field (ex. $left(...)).

Thanks! $sub works now