Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: List of recommended LAME settings (Read 655624 times) previous topic - next topic

List of recommended LAME settings

Reply #150
Try this :
http://www.audiofora.com/yabbse/index.php#2

Forum activity is low : many people seems, like you, lost.
Wavpack Hybrid: one encoder for all scenarios
WavPack -c4.5hx6 (44100Hz & 48000Hz) ≈ 390 kbps + correction file
WavPack -c4hx6 (96000Hz) ≈ 768 kbps + correction file
WavPack -h (SACD & DSD) ≈ 2400 kbps at 2.8224 MHz

Reply #151
I can't access r3mix forum since more than one week.
I have however backuped the best threads.

It's at a different address now: http://www.audiofora.com/yabbse/index.php

edit: Oops, this topic had yet another page..    Anyway, many many people seem to have the same problem to find the r3mix forum, since it's almost dead.   

Oh well.. this one is much better anyways...  B)

Reply #152
http://www.audio-illumination.org/forums/i...ad89a43a63f0294

Here I have copied the main content of basic guide to maximize and avoide clipping from r3mix to HA.

erm, as Roel/r3mix does not even update his own main page, forum, to the new address of his own forum, it not surprising, that nobody, me included, finds the r3mix forum....

Reply #153
I thought I saw the docs say that "--alt-preset fast extreme" was slightly lower quality than "--alt-preset extreme"? I'd prefer quality over speed...

The fast option is more erratic, not worse. I can be better and/or worse.

So which is recommended then? --alt-preset extreme or --alt-preset fast extreme

Reply #154
I have read (probably written by JohnV), that --alt-preset bitrate (ABR) is now available from 8 - 320 kbit/s.
Previuosly 80 - 320.

I have changed this bitrange in list of settings.

What's the matter with CBR bitrates ?
At the moment this is the text:

"All other CBR bitrates from 80kbps to 320kbps

--alt-preset cbr <bitrate>"

Still correct ?

Reply #155
erm, as Roel/r3mix does not even update his own main page, forum, to the new address of his own forum, it not surprising, that nobody, me included, finds the r3mix forum....

Yes, even I, moderator of that forum, wasn't informed that it had moved. All I got was "page not found", like everyone else.

Reply #156
Cbr presets are also available for the whole bitrate range.

(note: with 3.93 I would prefer advocating --preset than --alt-preset)

Reply #157
Does the range from 8 - 320 work with 3.92 stable for ABR and CBR ?

If there is 3.93 stable, or another  stable release, of course --preset will be advocated.
(with 3.92stable --preset will not work, I think)

Reply #158
8-320 is working with 3.92.

--preset will be only for 3.93 and up

Reply #159
So 8 - 320 works for ABR and CBR alt-preset.

With abr preset you can specify any bitrate, like eg. 57 kbit/s , if you wanted.

Is this possible with cbr preset, too ?
Or which are the allowed steps below 80 kbit/s ?
I am asking, as in list of settings there is still following recommendation/explanation:

"All other CBR bitrates from 80kbps to 320kbps

--alt-preset cbr <bitrate>"

That "all" is perhaps misleading, as you can only select 320, 256, 192, 160, 128, 96, 80, if I am correct.

at the moment:

-------------------------------------------------
CBR (constant bitrate) settings:
-------------------------------------------------

320 kbit/s CBR

--alt-preset cbr 320

note: --alt-preset cbr 320 is the exact same thing as --alt-preset insane

256 kbit/s CBR

--alt-preset cbr 256

192 kbit/s CBR

--alt-preset cbr 192

160 kbit/s CBR

--alt-preset cbr 160

128 kbit/s CBR ( More Discussion )

--alt-preset cbr 128

or (ff123's and Hans' suggestion -- http://www.ff123.net/cbr128.html):

-h --nspsytune --athtype 2 --lowpass 16 --ns-bass -8 --scale 0.93

96 kbit/s CBR

--alt-preset cbr 96

All other CBR bitrates from 80kbps to 320kbps

--alt-preset cbr <bitrate>

Reply #160
Hi

I'm a total newbie and have some question. For high quality encoding (Classical music etc) I normaly use Fhg prof (the very latest release) at 256 hq. Recently I've started to use Lame for popular music using a slightly modified r3mix-setting, and I must say I'm getting to like it more and more. So I tried to use -v0 setting for some tracks and the quality was extraordinary. However, encoding 'Human League - Tell Me when' the stereo collapsed (which is the fact with virtually all encoder but Fhg). I then switched from j-stereo to normal stereo and the result was acceptable. Question: using normal stereo and -v0, what other setting should I worry about? Is there anyone who has the same experience with j-stereo as I have?

Regards from Sweden

Reply #161
Welcome to the wisdom inside this great forum !

you started with 256 (probably pure stereo) FHG.
Then you have tried r3mix or related. and you find it better sounding.
Then you experiment with v0, and with joint stereo a collapsing stereo image sometimes.

Please use only the settings of the first post of this long thread.

Try them !

r3mix is outdated.
For you are following switches interesting, as you go for High Quality:

alt-preset standard (aps), extreme (ape) or insane (api).

aps and ape use a very clever (compared to r3mix, or pure -ms (joint stereo) switch) improved stereo/mid-side stereo behaviour.

I am very interested in your opinion regarding stereo image with aps and ape.

If you want the theoretically very best quality, you have waste/invest 320 kbit/s bitrate with api.
api uses --ns-safejoint, which is again one step safer regarding stereo image.

Please tell your observations, but try it blind.

Reply #162
If you want the theoretically very best quality, you have waste/invest 320 kbit/s bitrate with api.
api uses --ns-safejoint, which is again one step safer regarding stereo image.

Being a Newbie, please pardon my ignorance of information already provided.  I'm researching this as time permits, and am still confused by some information between this forum and that offered on the r3mix site.

My desire is to achieve the ultimate in quality (space is not a concern).  I don't want clipping or artifacts. I want to retain as much of the original intended dynamics and not lose any stereo 'information'.  Getting the best possible in all respects out of Lame 3.92.

Does "--alt-preset insane" handle all the above?  Would I need to augment with "--scale 0.98" to eliminate clipping?  Would I need to further augment with "-ms" to get the fullest of stereo imaging information, or does "--ns-safejoint" within API (as you mentioned) improve upon my potential use of "-ms".

Can someone elaborate on what command line parameter(s) I should use to achieve my goals?  Many thanks!

Reply #163
Does "--alt-preset insane" handle all the above?  Would I need to augment with "--scale 0.98" to eliminate clipping?  Would I need to further augment with "-ms" to get the fullest of stereo imaging information, or does "--ns-safejoint" within API (as you mentioned) improve upon my potential use of "-ms".

Can someone elaborate on what command line parameter(s) I should use to achieve my goals?  Many thanks!

--alt-preset insane is all you can get with lame (and mp3)
Don't use --scale at all. Use mp3gain - much better way to handle clipping
And playing with other options with alt presets is *not recommended*  so -m s - bad idea

So --alt-preset insane would be what you want if size doesn't matter. But other altpresets are also very very high in quality and lower in size. It would be a good idea to try other ape or aps and then abx it.
--
pozdr.
yq

Reply #164
I'll test the various music with each of APE,APS,APX to get a feel for their sound and probably use them for other purposes.  My plan is to get relatively speaking 'perfect' archives off my CD's and be able to listen to them on different devices of varying playback capability/quality (i.e. winamp, mp3 discman, car audio, home system).  Thus starting with the best in quality at the archive stage will facilitate having the best quality down/across all playback platforms.

So it is correct to assume:
1) API is the best LAME can offer (in v3.92) in ANY qualitative or analytical aspect without regard to space.
2) The rest APE/S/X, are other options that can be used in the context of a quality/size continuim.
3)  There is no other combination of command line parameters that could exceed API.

Thanks for your reply!

Reply #165
Yes, api should be the best Lame can offer (theoretically it's always possible that some command-line is better, though highly unlikely without code modification).

2) Short anwer: Yes.

Reply #166
2) The rest APE/S/X, are other options that can be used in the context of a quality/size continuim.

According to what I've read, it is not exactly a quality/size compromize.
If I understood correctly, Alt-preset standard already gives quite the highest quality. Extreme and Insane only provide little improvements, but using very much space compared to standard.

Reply #167

If I understood correctly, Alt-preset standard already gives quite the highest quality. Extreme and Insane only provide little improvements, but using very much space compared to standard.

Depends what you're listening to.  For typical music, probably so.  I've found some Moog synthesizer music (using more or less pure waveforms) that sounds distorted with --aps (and even with --api, but much less so).  Maybe when I come across these I should submit them as problem samples, but have been too lazy... 

Reply #168
Yes, I've recently browsed the problem samples, and I found only two causing problems in API : Badvilbel and Drone (two from Autechre !). Even Short sounded good.
So if you found other ones, it could be interesting.

Reply #169

This is pretty much true..

Depends what you're listening to.  For typical music, probably so.  I've found some Moog synthesizer music (using more or less pure waveforms) that sounds distorted with --aps (and even with --api, but much less so).  Maybe when I come across these I should submit them as problem samples, but have been too lazy... 

It is also true that --api is better on some samples than --aps, but in almost every case, these samples are not transparent with --api either.  They are usually due more to the limitations of the format, so I probably wouldn't really use them as an example to judge the quality of the presets by.

The simple answer is that MP3 as a whole is not a very good format for extreme electronic music...  if that's the kind of music someone is encoding regularly, they'd do much better with AAC or especially MPC, and to some extent Vorbis (Vorbis does pretty well on impulse samples but still has some problems with artificial noise sounds and suffers pre-echo on samples with needle transients like "ticking" sounds, etc.. the type of stuff found in a lot of IDM or other experimental electronic music).

Btw, a lot of these samples seem to have been improved on (even with --aps) in Takehiro's latest work.........

Reply #170
the link to "how to burn an mp3 cd" is not working.  and i need to know how

Reply #171
hmm, I know, it was a thread in old r3mix froum.

even, as it worked, that thread had vanished.

I should write it shortly here in HA.

How to burn an mp3 - CD ?

So, here#s the answer:

1. In generally:

Burn as data CD

2. example Nero:

CD-Rom (ISO)

no multisession (for safety, if you have a player, which is not able to read multisession, or the 2nd, 3rd session...)

Mode 1  -  ISO Level 2 (should work, level 1 is even safer)
advantage of ISO level 2 is : longer file names

ISO 9660  -  Joliet

Disc at once

That's it.

perhaps additionally:

click:  verify burned data

Reply #172
done:
link actualized to new thread : how to burn mp3 cd

Reply #173
no multisession (for safety, if you have a player, which is not able to read multisession, or the 2nd, 3rd session...)

mabey that is why my mp3 cd player couldn't read the mp3 cd i made.  i just used windowsXP itself to burn the cd by dropping the mp3s onto the cd and buring as a data cd.  I use Nero for everything but I figured I'd try Windows' burning features out.

I'll see if this fixes the problem.

[edit]  ok.  it worked out fine.  playing the cd right now  thanks a lot!

Reply #174
Hi all

I´m using --alt-preset  extreme to encode my music

any recomended tweaks to this command line ?

I´m using the latest released LAME 3.93