Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Quicktime 6 Beta (Read 3687 times) previous topic - next topic

Quicktime 6 Beta

Avaible for download here.

MPEG-4 File Format (.mp4): Since the QuickTime file format is at the foundation of MPEG-4, QuickTime 6 supports .mp4 files as first-class citizens. So with QuickTime 6, you can author professional-quality, ISO-compliant MPEG-4 audio and video files that can be played back not only by QuickTime 6, but by any other MPEG-4-compliant player. Learn more about MPEG-4.

MPEG-4 Video: The high-performance MPEG-4 video codec included in QuickTime 6 provides the highest quality results across a wide spectrum of data rates — from narrowband to broadband and beyond. This revolutionary codec offers compression times and video quality that rival those of the best proprietary codecs, yet it provides interoperability with other MPEG-4 players and devices. Tour the MPEG-4 Video Gallery.

AAC Audio: AAC is the new standard in professional audio. It provides more efficient compression than older formats such as MP3, yet delivers quality rivaling that of uncompressed CD audio. The QuickTime AAC codec builds upon new, state-of-the-art signal processing technology from Dolby Labs, and brings true variable bit rate (VBR) encoding to QuickTime. Listen for yourself in the MPEG-4 (AAC) Audio Gallery. Learn more about MPEG-4 AAC audio.

Quicktime 6 Beta

Reply #1
Soo, has anybody tested if WinAmp plays QuickTime's .mp4 Dolby Labs AAC-audio, and how does it sound compared to Psytel.

Roberto?
Juha Laaksonheimo

Quicktime 6 Beta

Reply #2
Hey cool! Does that mean we use QT6 to play movie files with AAC audio!!!???

Quicktime 6 Beta

Reply #3
Hi people,

First impressions...

The interface code is a little sketchy but that's purely cosmetic. Quicktime 6's obvious boast is its embracing of the mpeg-4 system.

A fully registered copy will enable you to encode mpeg-4 audio and video content, and stream it also. You may want to investigate the Darwin streaming server.

The audio encoder defaults to 96kbps, Low Complexity profile - I haven't further experimented with the codec to see how it compares with PsyTEL (Ivan's) - however it seems to encode moderately fast.

I havent touched video yet.

One issue I have found is that the .mp4 (audio only, LC, 96kbps) didnt seem to want to run with the in_mp4.dll plugin for Winamp - however this may just be a problem with my configuration.

More news as I get it...

Ruairi
rc55.com - nothing going on

Quicktime 6 Beta

Reply #4
The mpeg-4 export settings dialog is also buggy as hell - it's gets confused as to whether a certain bitrate will stream over a specified connection speed.

Also - I dont know if its because this computer is slow but it has confusion with prorities as the audio drops out when basic dialog boxes are being displayed.

Quicktime 6 Beta

Reply #5
Originally posted by rc55
The audio encoder defaults to 96kbps, Low Complexity profile - I haven't further experimented with the codec to see how it compares with PsyTEL (Ivan's) - however it seems to encode moderately fast.

It is Dolby's fast AAC encoder. IMO, quality isn't on par with AACenc.

Quicktime 6 Beta

Reply #6
Apparantly the video encoder isnt that great either, but "a brave effort". I think it's hideous compared to the quality of Xvid.

Apple also have this god-awful strategy of promoting their products by using either low bitrate clips streamed over HTTP or just plain crap encodes. 40kbps AAC is not up to the quality of WMA (sadly), and a 15fps clip of a bloke dancing in front of an imac doesnt have me too convinced.

However as a player it is nice, but nothing amazing. Might be worth waiting for the final version.

Btw: Linux users - This DOES work with Crossover!

Ruairi