Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Using the Volume Control to steer power amp (Read 3400 times) previous topic - next topic

Using the Volume Control to steer power amp

My old integrated amp is slowly dying. Looking for second-hands on the internet, I found someone selling a Quad 306 power amp.

Since I only need to attach one source, my PC, I wouldn't really need a preamp other than to regulate the volume. If I don't get a preamp, I can just afford the Quad.

Qualitywise, volume control in foobar seems OK to me. I use 24bit output to my Terratec soundcard, and on my current setup I've never detected any loss of detail that way... but then, there's still a volume pot inbetween.

Mostly, I'm afraid I will have to lower the digital volume too much, and lose detail. I would test it with my current amp, maxing analog volume, if it weren't dying...

What do you think? Could there be signal quality issues? (this is why I post it in fb2k forum - I'm mainly asking for the quality of the Volume Control in the -70dB range or so) Any other problems? Thanks...

Reply #1
Terratec Aureon Sky here - if I listen with headphones plugged directly into the card, lower volume to -40dB or lower with fb2k and crank up volume to max in the soundcard's control pannel, I can hear the soundcard's background noise (silence between tracks or other quiet places). So most likely lowering fb2k volume to -70 dB will make your 24bit card sound like 8bit.
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #2
So most likely lowering fb2k volume to -70 dB will make your 24bit card sound like 8bit.

I think that's not what I want 
Thanks for trying.

I guess I should've expected that - using a low level signal inside the PC isn't very promising... 

Reply #3
Maybe you could use an in-line attenuator like this one to tame the amplifier and use Foobar's volume control at a more reasonable level?

Reply #4
i'm curious what happens when you have a system set like that and some windows sound effect goes off. i have enough trouble with foobar at -8db and web sites making noises 

Reply #5
Maybe you could use an in-line attenuator like this one to tame the amplifier and use Foobar's volume control at a more reasonable level?

it's a good idea. But wouldn't I be better of with an integrated amp then? - the signal degradation in such an attenuator might just waste the merits of the Quad power amp...

i'm curious what happens when you have a system set like that and some windows sound effect goes off. i have enough trouble with foobar at -8db and web sites making noises  

I mute my wave output, then let foobar use kernel streaming. This bypasses the mute setting.

Reply #6
That's just a quick example I found.  For best quality, you could use a stepped attenuator instead.

Something like this, maybe?  Unfortunately, that's $289. But there are others available for less, especially if you don't mind a little D.I.Y.