Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: .wav.flac extentions created by EAC with Flac! (Read 5635 times) previous topic - next topic

.wav.flac extentions created by EAC with Flac!

Hello,
I am ripping CDs as single flac file in one hit using EAC. It works well but I have one small problem.

The WAV I create always has a double file extension: e.g: Biosphere - Substrata.flac.wav. This of course means that flac file then gets called Biosphere - Substrata.flac.flac.

So I am currently forced to edit the file names of both the CUE file and the FLAC file to give them the correct extensions and also to edit the CUE file to refer to the (now) correctly named FLAC file. This is irritating. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Reply #1
Yeah, I have not tried this function in EAC before, but I played around with it for the past fifteen minutes and it seems as if this is a bug in EAC.  What should be happening is that it not name the wav and cue file with "CDimage.flac" and then the extension, but instead just CDimage.ext.  That way, when it changes the extension of the file at the end and deletes the WAV, all that will be left is CDimage.flac, instead of CDimage.flac.flac.
WARNING:  Changing of advanced parameters might degrade sound quality.  Modify them only if you are expirienced in audio compression!

Reply #2
Okay, I've written a simple (read: provided "as is") program that simply renames any .flac.flac and .flac.cue files in the target directory to .flac and .cue. I use it with this commandline in EAC:

Program:
Code: [Select]
c:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe

Commandline Options:
c c:\progra~1\flac\flac.exe --best --replay-gain -V -T "title=%t" -T "artist=%a" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" %s && c:\flacflacfixer.exe %d

So far, it misses the .flac.flac file that's currently converted (but catches all old ones), since EAC renames it from the temporary name *after* this program is run. I'll add an .ini file so that it can just be run to clean up a directory specified in that .ini file.

Right now, just call it from the commandline with the directory you want it to check after EAC runs, and it'll work just fine.

Reply #3
Hmm, you could also use this along with MAREO after each encode.  Nice.  You can do it either way now.  You can let EAC name the files and delete the WAV, and have this program rename the extensions, or you can have FLAC name the encode and delete the WAV at the end.  Either way works great.
WARNING:  Changing of advanced parameters might degrade sound quality.  Modify them only if you are expirienced in audio compression!

Reply #4
I feel like an idiot. The easy, elegant solution to this problem is to have EAC call a .bat file where you store your long, complicated commandline anyway. It turns out that EAC doesn't lock the temp file, so, after conversion, simply have that same .bat file call:
rename "%~f1" "%~dpn1"

(See Microsoft's help page on: batch parameters)

My EAC Line looks something like this:
c:\otherp~1\eac\batch\FlacImage.bat %s "%t" "%a"  "%g" "%y" "%n" "%m"

If anyone wants it, I have a simple .bat file that I pass all this to to create a .flac image and .cue sheet with the proper names (generated as "ARTIST - ALBUM TITLE.xxx"), tag the .flac with all the proper artist/genre/album info and replaygain, verify, and import the cuesheet into the flac worry-free. =)

EDIT: I'm running into a couple problems with the code in some cases (such as various artists), but it works for most cases, I'll get back to y'all tomorrow when I have some more time to burn on this, =)

Reply #5
Oooo-kay!

I have now a working .bat file (along with a small helper .exe) that does the following automatically when you extract as a compressed image file in EAC:

1) Rename your cue/flac files to the format: "<artist> - <album>.*"
2) Fix the cuesheet pointer to the correct file.
3) Compress the extracted .wav to .flac with the commandline defined in the .bat file (it's location is indicated if you would like to change it)
4) imports your cuesheet while compressing
5) Tags your .flac file with the album info from EAC
5) Create a directory of the form "<artist> - <album>"
6) Moves your .flac, .cue, and .log file (if you create one) to the new directory.

It doesn't work on albums with various artists yet, but I'm working on it. You may need the java runtime library if you don't have it already. Since I haven't tested this on other machines yet, I don't know.

Installation instructions are included with the file, which can be found here.

EDIT: I'm also working on allowing a variable file-naming format so that you can define the file naming scheme for your own files.  Please note that this is written pretty much just on a whim for dealing with my own needs, so don't expect too much. =)

Reply #6
Well, it's fixed and working now for titles with various artists. In addition, it will also check your cuesheet for any invalid ISRC's ("0000000000") and remove them if found (my drive often does this). Again, you can find the file here

Also, there's a file-naming scheme that's in there - where you see the line "%%a - %%g" (probably do a search for it) you can replace this with the variables conventions:

%%a = artist
%%g = CD Title
%%y = year
%%m = genre

As long as you don't use any illegal characters, it will rename the folder, .cue and .flac within the folder to whatever format you specified. (NOTE: You need BOTH %'s before the variable, or it will not work correctly.)

Any questions/problems, click the email link and I'll try to help you.

Reply #7
Great work!  I will definately have to try this out soon.

Edit:  Added exclamation point for more enthusiasm.