Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why the Database? (Read 3001 times) previous topic - next topic

Why the Database?

Why would a person wanna use the database? I think it would be better if the file is properly tagged and named rather than keeping reference to it in the database? Or do I totally miss the point of the database?

Why the Database?

Reply #1
Why would a person wanna use the database? I think it would be better if the file is properly tagged and named rather than keeping reference to it in the database? Or do I totally miss the point of the database?

One reason I can think of is so that all the tag/filename data can be cached in the database for lightning-fast queries.

Why the Database?

Reply #2
Thats a good reason... it DOES take awhile to load all 2000 mp3s.... anything else?

Why the Database?

Reply #3
If you are a album collector, the album list is super handy. and search capibilitys are always a good thing.

Why the Database?

Reply #4
there currently is a more advanced version to albumfind, database-search, etc. in the works, currently named playlistgen.

Its quite awesome and VERY easy to use - you just enter a keyword, and whereever a file in the DB is containing that keyword - be it tags, part of filename, part of directoryname, whatever, it will find it and list the results. Then you can use the standard right-clickmenu on these files.... replaygain, masstagging, renaming, www-searches, etc..... or simply send the marked results to an existing playlist, or a new one.

I have to admit - i never cared that much about the database and its tools, but when i saw that, i immediatelly changed my mind.

And thats not even all whats possible, there are even more advanced features possible, but these are currently just ideas, so i dont want to get hopes up too soon.

Believe me, most of you will love the database in the future.

- Lyx

edit: another reason you may want at least a temporary database, is so you can change tags of files (like replaygain) which are currently played. Also thanks to the database, you can even replaygain files, which usually dont support this feature(by storing RG in the DB)
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Why the Database?

Reply #5
Sounds great.  Sounds like foobar2000 is going to have similar searching abilities to iTunes.  If you have ever used iTunes, you will know why this type of database searching would make foobar2000 so much better.
WARNING:  Changing of advanced parameters might degrade sound quality.  Modify them only if you are expirienced in audio compression!