Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Replay Gain db amount (Read 3691 times) previous topic - next topic

Replay Gain db amount

Hi,

I see the default gain level is set to 89dB.

I am replay gaining some AC3 and i prefer them 'without' dynamic compression.

Therefore with a setting of 89dB and the large peaks, replaygain quite often wants to attenuate the output.

If i was to raise the dB setting could I get clipping like you would in normalisation or if replaygain simply raise the volume level like when you turn the speaker volume up?

I'd certainly like an increase on the standard volume level of the ac3 without compression.

Maybe the encoders got it as loud as it would go without clipping?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Data

Replay Gain db amount

Reply #1
ReplayGain is not peak normalization. Go to Preferences, Playback, disable Use peak info to scale own tracks that still clip after applying replaygain. Optionally, go to DSP Manager and add Advanced Limiter to the end of the Active DSPs list.

Replay Gain db amount

Reply #2
If i was to raise the dB setting could I get clipping like you would in normalisation or if replaygain simply raise the volume level like when you turn the speaker volume up?

I think you are misunderstanding things. Normalization doesn't cause clipping, because it's exactly setting something to the maximum volume possible without clipping. ReplayGain determines how loud it actually sounds (which is different from peak volume) and adjusts the file to a common playback level. If ReplayGain is attenuating the files, that means it thinks they're already quite loud.

If you want 'maximum volume possible without clipping and dynamics compression', you want to normalize, not ReplayGain. Now, why you'd want that is another matter

By default, Foobar will use ReplayGain information to prevent the file from clipping, by detecting when playing back the file at the common level would cause clipping, and attenuating extra. Therefore, if it is indeed the peaks that are causing the attenuation, follow kode's advice. Note that the advanced limiter will do dynamics compression. It's always a tradeoff between either one of loud volume OR dynamics compression OR clipping.

Replay Gain db amount

Reply #3
Ok,

What are the possible downfalls for setting the pre-amp right up to 101dB?

It should make for a louder output but will there be any other problems?

Thanks

Data

Replay Gain db amount

Reply #4
Ok,

What are the possible downfalls for setting the pre-amp right up to 101dB?

It should make for a louder output but will there be any other problems?

Thanks

Data

Depending on your setup, you'll either get clipping or dynamics compression. There should be no point whatsoever in changing it.

What are you actually trying to do?

Replay Gain db amount

Reply #5
is there some peakmeter plug-in which can be put into the dsp chain at different positions? (something like kx drivers chain)
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Replay Gain db amount

Reply #6
db Meter viz plugin, and chop off items from your DSP list. (Only works one at a time, of course)

Replay Gain db amount

Reply #7
db Meter viz plugin, and chop off items from your DSP list. (Only works one at a time, of course)

yes ic, tnx.
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Replay Gain db amount

Reply #8
other already mentioned the most important infobits, but i'll try to write a compact summary:

Replaygain does NOT care about clipping - its only intention is to make all music equally loud.

So, if your music has large peaks, and has low compression, applying replaygain alone at 89db will probably make them clip.

However, we dont want that, so foobar has another feature:
"use peak info to scale down tracks that clip after applying replaygain"

If this is turned on, then foobar will scale down tracks that would clip otherwise. With your example track, of course this means, that it will sound less loud, than the other (more compressed) songs.

So, in summary, you have two options:
1. Just replaygain your files and let foobar do what it does by default.
Most of your files will sound equally loud, and some songs with low compression but high peaks may sound less loud. NONE of the songs will clip. Dynamic range of the songs doesn't get mangled.

2. Disable "use peak info to scale down...", and use advanced limiter instead.
Advantage: all music will sound equally loud, no clipping. Disadvantage: less-compressed songs will get compressed and therefore loose dynamics.

So, in short:
Either you scale down volume, or you compress.
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.