Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: HTTP IST DEATH! (and more...) :) (Read 6084 times) previous topic - next topic

HTTP IST DEATH! (and more...) :)

OT:

<<<How to disable that text is automatically
reformated. Every automatism is a serious bug,
when it can be disabled by a simple click>>>

[...]

[Automatic Formating=disabled,all,forever,never ask again]

[ code ][ /code ] act's like the <pre> tag in html, disabling formating.

Reply #1
OT:

Originally posted by Frank Klemm

<<<Remark: The dialog boxes of # PHP List Quotes
are clean of helping information about what this
is>>>

They show information just fine in a non-broken browser like Mozilla (you could try Galeon, for a less resource intensive version.. it's just the gecko engine without all the XUL stuff).

I really wish you would update your browser... all your problems would go away.  NS4 is crap, it's broken, non-standard compliant, and it just plain is buggy as hell.

Just as you tell lossless encoder authors that they need to fix their programs to work with MPC encoding on the fly, I tell you that you need to fix your browser to view this website properly
I don't mean to be offensive... but really.. you can't expect me to go and fix all this stuff just because NS4 is broken and needs some massive hacks to get things working properly with it.

Reply #2
Originally posted by Dibrom
OT:

They show information just fine in a non-broken browser like Mozilla (you could try Galeon, for a less resource intensive version.. it's just the gecko engine without all the XUL stuff).

It also do not work with IE 4.0, IE 5.0 under W2K.
A window pops up explaining a word with itself.
The deadly sin of user interfaces.

Snafucate: Snafucate is when someone snafucates.

List: Enter List text.

Parse: Enter parsing text.

Enter the text to be formated.

This is entropy free.

Also it is not nice that the text input box is
smaller than on a C64. It uses 2.5% of the
screens. NS 4.72, 4.78, IE 4.0, IE 5.0.

I use 3200 x 1200 Dual head. The box is 400 x 240
fixed size. Font is fixed tiny size even when I
select astronomic font sizes.

This is a interface for insane people. It looks
nice, eats a lot of money due to high online
costs, is uncomfortable like ash from the automation point of view and it is designed to
read the same articles again and again and again
to maybe find a new article. This is hip crap
pure.

I don't understand why you are programming such
an interface where well designed solutions (also
usable with Netscape/IE) are available. This is
30 years old, well approved and it is called
newsgroup and has a much better efficiencies.

Another K.O. problem I will explain you in a mail.
--  Frank Klemm

Reply #3
Something else must be wrong... I use IE5 on my Windows 2000 Server box and everything works as it should. Don't know about IE4, however.

Reply #4

It also do not work with IE 4.0, IE 5.0 under W2K.
A window pops up explaining a word with itself.
The deadly sin of user interfaces.

If you roll your mouse over the buttons it explains exactly what they do in the status pane beneath them.  This should work in IE 4.0+, NS6/Mozilla, etc.  You need to have javascript enabled.

As for all the other stuff, I don't really feel like arguing.  Sorry.

The input box stuff will be fixed in the new design.  I'll try to accommodate you somehow with the mailing list gateway which is still being worked on, so you no longer have to use the site directly.

Reply #5
Originally posted by NickSD
No one ever answered the question asked before... What is the reason for the bitrate drops in --xtreme and --standard in the new version of the encoder?

Also, I'm confused by your analysis of this site, Frank.   I've never had a single problem with this site, let alone be confused by it.  But...to each their own.   For the record, I'd much rather use this site than use a newsgroup.

Nick

I read ca. 25 newsgroups, 3 mailing lists and hydrogen audio.
Hydrogenaudio costs more than 50% of the time reading. This
is my time, this are online costs.

When hydrogen audio would be a newsgroup this would save
nearly one hour per day. In this time I can't program.

Your questions shows that you are a so-called AOL user who don't
knew so much more than http based internet services. http is
a very small part of the internet, it is not the internet like
most people think. It is useful for spreaded information (it was designed for that),
but it is very inefficient for most it is used today.

There is also PDF, nntp, email, ...
--  Frank Klemm

Reply #6
Let's drop this issue.

Frank, we are aware of your stance on this matter.  There's no need to drill it into the ground.  I'm working on some solutions for the new site which might work out better for you.

Reply #7
Your questions shows that you are a so-called AOL user who don't
knew so much more than http based internet services. http is
a very small part of the internet, it is not the internet like
most people think. It is useful for spreaded information (it was designed for that),
but it is very inefficient for most it is used today.

There is also PDF, nntp, email, ...

Frank,

I am not by any means an "AOL user".  I am actually quite the opposite.  Used to browse the web with Lynx when there weren't any good graphical browsers.  I've actually been a system/network administrator in the past.  Anyways, I won't go on about this... I was just offering my viewpoint.  I read newsgroups as well but I enjoy many sites like this one as well and often prefer it.  We have different opinions, which is fine  Sorry to start an argument...

Nick

Reply #8
OT:
They show information just fine in a non-broken browser like Mozilla (you could try Galeon, for a less resource intensive version.. it's just the gecko engine without all the XUL stuff)

Further OT:

Heh, you could have told us about Galeon and K-Meleon in the Mozilla thread. On my K-6 200 MHz 32 MB RAM machine Mozilla put quite a strain on it. K-Meleon is the perfect alternative for lightweight open-source Windows browser.

Reply #9
Let's drop this issue.

Frank, we are aware of your stance on this matter.  There's no need to drill it into the ground.  I'm working on some solutions for the new site which might work out better for you.

Couldn't this be done by having Hydro automatically forwarding posted forum messages (in text format) to a specified newsgroup with appropriate tagged subject linies

Author: YinYang
Subject: [Hydrogenaudio]  News:  mppenc 1.04, mppdec 1.04, WinAMP plugins 0.94, XMMS plugin 0.94

BlahRegardingOggbetterthanMPCthoughMPCisagoodformatandIlikethefilesizereductionsBlah....

And then having the Hydrogenaudio check the newsgroups at intervals for properly formatted  posts (Re: [Hydrogenaudio]..../[Hydrogenaudio]...), checking the author up against the registered user-database and then creating it as a text post here if author=registered user.

This would probably demand that the news messages were properly formatted by the sender  (76 lines, proper subject header, registered author, no HTML et cetera) or they are dropped.

I don't know if this can be done, but that was my quick take on the situation

Reply #10
Originally posted by YinYang

Further OT:

Heh, you could have told us about Galeon and K-Meleon in the Mozilla thread. On my K-6 200 MHz 32 MB RAM machine Mozilla put quite a strain on it. K-Meleon is the perfect alternative for lightweight open-source Windows browser.

I did.  I also mentions skipstone and the OSX equivalent of these also (name escapes me atm).  I'm sure you'd find it if you use the search function

Reply #11
Originally posted by YinYang

Couldn't this be done by having Hydro automatically forwarding posted forum messages (in text format) to a specified newsgroup with appropriate tagged subject linies

Author: YinYang
Subject: [Hydrogenaudio]  News:  mppenc 1.04, mppdec 1.04, WinAMP plugins 0.94, XMMS plugin 0.94

BlahRegardingOggbetterthanMPCthoughMPCisagoodformatandIlikethefilesizereductionsBlah....

And then having the Hydrogenaudio check the newsgroups at intervals for properly formatted  posts (Re: [Hydrogenaudio]..../[Hydrogenaudio]...), checking the author up against the registered user-database and then creating it as a text post here if author=registered user. 

This would probably demand that the news messages were properly formatted by the sender  (76 lines, proper subject header, registered author, no HTML et cetera) or they are dropped. 

I don't know if this can be done, but that was my quick take on the situation

Yep.  We already have the scripts to do this mostly written, although they're implemented to work via a mailing list instead of nntp.

Reply #12
I really wish you would update your browser... all your problems would go away.  NS4 is crap, it's broken, non-standard compliant, and it just plain is buggy as hell.

Well, believe it or not, I'm using Netscape 4.51 right now (momma's computer. P166 w/ 32Mb RAM. Mozilla and NS6 wouldn't even run here, I guess), and works perfectly fine! On most screens I can't see a difference from Opera6 or Mozilla 0.99.

Regards;

Roberto.

Reply #13
Originally posted by rjamorim

Well, believe it or not, I'm using Netscape 4.51 right now (momma's computer. P166 w/ 32Mb RAM. Mozilla and NS6 wouldn't even run here, I guess), and works perfectly fine! On most screens I can't see a difference from Opera6 or Mozilla 0.99.

Regards;

Roberto.

If you browse sites heavy with standards complaint code and CSS then Netscape fails almost every time.  The CSS implementation in NS4 is horribly incomplete and very buggy (NS loses the CSS formatting even when the browser window is resized!).  Sure, many places may look OK, but that's because the authors have had to cator to this browser.  If you look through the code, no doubt you will find all kinds of little "fixes" or non-standard bits of code to get NS4 to display properly.

The only browsers that really support the standards well enough to not have to implement all kinds of hacks are IE 5+, Mozilla, and Opera 6 (maybe 5+? dunno).  That's if you don't count Javascript or DOM stuff either.... then it's only IE and Mozilla.  And if you start getting into the more obscure CSS stuff, it's pretty much Mozilla period.

It's really a pretty sad state of affairs for web designers to have to deal with so many non-standard implementations as seen in browsers like NS4.  What's worse is when the users themselves won't upgrade to something that actually works but instead blame the site designers for their problems.

Oh.. and you can also blame people who rely solely on WYSIWYG html editors for helping to propogate this mess... these things are horrible for producing non-standard code.  Their use now though is so widespread that companies like Microsoft purposely interpret the code a certain way (against the standards) just so things "look right" when created by a broken utility.

(and yes I'm aware that vbulletin's code is not fully compliant... :/)

Reply #14
I agree with Dibrom, Netscape 4.x is a sorry excuse for a modern browser. I'm using 100% W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional code on my page (no "optimized for IE" etc), yet NS 4.x makes some serious display mistakes (tested on my University on newest Netscape 4.x / Linux). Errors go from not displaying CSS stuff, to wrong font properties, to overlapping tables that shouldn't overlap, to overlapping on printouts, etc etc. I could track down almost every single report about layout glitches on my pages to NS 4.x. Opera, on the other hand, has matured quite well. I could observe several layout errors from 3.x vanishing in newer versions.

Reply #15
Originally posted by CiTay
Netscape 4.x is a sorry excuse for a modern browser.

Ok, Ok. I'm well aware of that.

My point is that, if Mr. Klemm uses Netscape 4.x to browse HA, the forums shouldn't look that mishappen to him. Unless the Linux implementation if NS4 is even more broken.

Regards;

Roberto.

Reply #16
Originally posted by rjamorim

My point is that, if Mr. Klemm uses Netscape 4.x to browse HA, the forums shouldn't look that mishappen to him. Unless the Linux implementation if NS4 is even more broken.

I'm sure the primary issue at hand is mostly just a dissatisfaction with a web based forum, and secondly that some of the more low level features (the tooltip rollovers for example) don't work under NS4.  There was also the faulty assumption made before that somehow this site was Windows only  (totally incorrect), which I'm sure also added to the "problem".