Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What DSP features to you guys use? (Read 26774 times) previous topic - next topic

What DSP features to you guys use?

Reply #25
PLAYBACK:  16 or 24bit with Replaygain
DSP:          Resampler->(Crossfeed)
OUTPUT:      Kernel Streaming or Asio

p0wder, kx doesn't disable resampling, it's programmed in the chip, can't be disabled.

Reply #26
Thanks for clearing that up nuhi.

Reply #27
Creative drivers are producing a lot of hiss, and kX don`t. What`s more if You want to get 24 bit audio on output using Creative drivers on Audigy 2, You must leave all Creative controls on their default value (meaning all means also treble/bas sliders).
"The brightest flame burns quickest..."

Reply #28
Thanks for saying "kx drivers", it made my day

More on-topic, I use almost no DSP (Does Volume control really count?  )

Reply #29
More on-topic, I use almost no DSP (Does Volume control really count?   )

Well technicaly it is Digital Signal Prosessing tool...

Reply #30
If I have the gapkiller plugin at the top of my DSP chain, will it effect files that are encoded with exact sample counts? For instance I have a MPC album that without the plugin plays gaplessly, but I have other albums that have gaps. I don't want to have to keep switching the DSPs in my settings. I ask this because in the console window it reads this with the gapkiller plugin enabled:

INFO (CORE) : location: "file://C:\stuff\music\MUSIC\Porcupine Tree\2002 - In Absentia\04 - The Sound Of Muzak.mpc" (0)
INFO (foo_dsp_nogaps) : 4939 samples removed (from end)
INFO (foo_dsp_nogaps) : 4227 samples removed (from beginning)
INFO (CORE) : opening file for playback :
INFO (CORE) : location: "file://C:\stuff\music\MUSIC\Porcupine Tree\2002 - In Absentia\05 - Gravity Eyelids.mpc" (0)
INFO (foo_dsp_nogaps) : 4939 samples removed (from beginning)
INFO (CORE) : opening file for playback :
INFO (CORE) : location: "file://C:\stuff\music\MUSIC\Porcupine Tree\2002 - In Absentia\06 - Wedding Nails.mpc" (0)
INFO (foo_dsp_nogaps) : 5227 samples removed (from beginning)

which doesn't seem right...

Reply #31
Hi there, I use :

Continuator (recently added, it works very well IMHO)
Equalizer (only with my speakers, makes a big difference !)
Advanced limiter

... And that's all !

Reply #32
Equalizer
Volume Control
Advanced Limiter
Simple Surround

Reply #33
Since everyone else here is posting their active DSPs, I'll post my too:
- Volume Control
- Advanced Limiter

Reply #34
Gap Killer -> Equalizer -> Advanced Limiter -> Simple Surround -> Volume Control

And that sounds good on Inspire 5100 (5.1-surround) and SB Live 5.1.

Well, no wonder that it HAD sounded a bit weird lately. My mother had apparently plugged out the whole rear channel input when cleaning. Yesh \o/

Reply #35
Crossfeed w/ headphones
Equalizer w/ certain headphones (mostly to boost lower frequencies on Sennheiser HD280).

Not using Soundbalster/Audigy (I have an E-Mu 1212M), so no need to resample.

Reply #36
Advanced limiter
Resampler at 48Khz
Convolver (MetalEQ impulse file from GARF website inside)
Gap Killer
Skip Silence
Convert Mono to stereo

using directsound v2
i have a sound blaster live! 24 bits USB with official creative drivers,
analog output...

have u some ideas about my configuration?
la vie est faite de morceaux qui ne se joignent pas.

Reply #37
Advanced limiter
Resampler at 48Khz
Gap Killer
Skip Silence
Convert Mono to stereo
have u some ideas about my configuration?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=260660"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'll give it a shot, so I at least can see if my reasoning is valid:

My suggestion:
Skip Silence
Gap Killer
Resampler at 48Khz
Advanced limiter
Convert Mono to stereo

Reasoning:
-A limiter should always be at the end of the chain (of DSPs that does any kind of processing to the sound). It is a safety safety measure.

-The "Convert mono to stereo" is a very simple plugin, that only duplicates one channel to the other. So it's probably ok to put it even after the limiter, as it doesn't change the data.

-The resampling should probably be done when all the processing (to the sound) is finished.

-I placed the convolver after the other "standard" DSPs, but before the output related ones.

-I don't know what should come first of the "Skip Silence" and "Gap killer" , or if it even matters.

But, most importantly, does my reasoning make sense?

Edit: Spelling, clarification

Reply #38
DSP Chain:
1. Equalizer
2. Volume Control
3. Gap killer

Why do so many people use the Resampler? In the settings menu it clearly explains why one should avoid usage.

Which extension do you prefer for skipping silence/gaps? There are two solutions accessable in the DSP menu, one being "Gap killer",  the other is "Skip silence". To me it appears that the resulting effect of both of them are the same.

Reply #39
Why do so many people use the Resampler? In the settings menu it clearly explains why one should avoid usage.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=260672"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Because they have Creative cards and want to avoid it's internal resampling?

Which extension do you prefer for skipping silence/gaps? There are two solutions accessable in the DSP menu, one being "Gap killer",  the other is "Skip silence". To me it appears that the resulting effect of both of them are the same.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=260672"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I was under the impression that the former tries to fix the gap you might hear between two mp3 tracks, while the latter skips long parts of silence inside a single track (typical for a last track before the bonus track starts). I don't use any of them, so I might very well be wrong, and your experiens suggests I am...

Edit: spelling (spelling/pronunciation mixup...)

Reply #40
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=260672"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

upNorth is right. Gap Killer is trying to make transition between two tracks smooth: it removes silence from the beginning and end of tracks and interpolates few samples so that there are no audible glitches. Skip Silence jumps over extended periods of silence even in the middle of a track. It is handy with albums that have bonus material hidden at the very end of a CD. You would normally have to play several minutes of silence to get to them, with Skip Silence it will be few seconds.

Reply #41
Skip Silence (foo_dsp_skip_silence.dll)
Gap Killer (foo_dsp_nogaps.dll)
Resampler (PPHS) ->48kHz (foo_pphsresample.dll)
Channel mixer -> 6 Channels, Copy Mode (foo_channel_mixer.dll)
Advanced Limiter

Reply #42
Resampler (PPHS)
Crossfeed (If Using HeadPhones)
Volume Control
Advanced Limiter

Reply #43
Continuator
Skip silence
Gap killer
Resampler > 48 khz
Volume Control
Advanced limiter
MPC: --quality 10 --xlevel (v. 1.15s) (archive/transcoding)
MP3:  LAME 3.96.1 --preset standard (daily listening/portable)

Reply #44
I notice a lot of people are using Countinuator and Crossfeed (mostly for headphones I guess) and I was just wondering what these two DSPs do?  Also is there any reason to use Advanced Limiter in addition to ReplyGain?  I guess there must be as so many of you are using it, and I think the vast majority of HAers use ReplayGain.
gentoo ~amd64 + layman | ncmpcpp/mpd | wavpack + vorbis + lame

Reply #45
Also is there any reason to use Advanced Limiter in addition to ReplyGain?  I guess there must be as so many of you are using it, and I think the vast majority of HAers use ReplayGain.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=260746"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Replaygain itself isn't going to prevent clipping, and not everyone uses "use peak info to scale down tracks that still clip after applying replaygain" (I don't). Even if you do, you will probably ocassionally play tracks that you haven't put through the replaygain scanner.

Mine:
Volume Control
Advanced Limiter

Reply #46
Replaygain itself isn't going to prevent clipping, and not everyone uses "use peak info to scale down tracks that still clip after applying replaygain" (I don't). Even if you do, you will probably ocassionally play tracks that you haven't put through the replaygain scanner.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=260752"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Right.  I knew that.  I have just found that there are so few tracks that still clip after replaygaining that it is more or less a non-issue.
gentoo ~amd64 + layman | ncmpcpp/mpd | wavpack + vorbis + lame

Reply #47
PPHS resample to 48khz [span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'](soundcard resampler sucks)[/span] ->
Equalizer [span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'](headphones don't quite have enough bass)[/span] ->
Advanced limiter [span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'](for advanced limitations...)[/span] ->
Volume control [span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'](always set to ~-3.6dB)[/span]

I used to use a whole bunch of other stuff, but I finally realized that putting in nothing sounds a lot better. So I only use the DSP to overcome hardware limitations.

I put the limiter before the volume control because, for some stupid reason, my sound card clips at -3.6dB. I use the volume control on my amp, so I just lowered the volume in Foobar to around -3.6dB.

Speaking of which, is there any way to have a numeric input to the volume control? (maybe in a separate component) I knew the volume that I wanted, but I needed to guess the input for the slider control.

[edit:]
music_man_mpc -
The replaygain on many classical albums tends to be positive, so adding replaygain will actually increase clipping probability on those albums. Even though there tend to be very few clipped samples in them, an RG of +6 will destroy any loud passages.
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" - Vroomfondel, H2G2

Reply #48
I'm using a Grado headphone on Creative Audigy 2 ZS Notebook, so I would set the dsp feature as follows:
Resampler (SSRC-Otachan, SSE2, 96KHz) => Volume Control => 4Front Headphones (18%) => Advanced Limiter
By the way, 32bit playback with replaygain, and ASIO (Otachan, SSE2, dll) output.

Reply #49
i don't use dsp's at all.

the reasons are: x-fi soundcard, teufel speakers, akg headphones, no mp3's, only flac...