Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Kernel Streaming (Read 3567 times) previous topic - next topic

Kernel Streaming

Sometimes when I play avi's using a software player on my computer, the player is unable to render sound.  The happens when I have foobar open and use KS (all other sound playing seems blocked), but also sometimes happens when foobar is not running. 

The author of media player classic, a software player, suggested "If foobars audio renderer really shuts down everything else during its operation then I can imagine it stays stuck and DS cannot create its own renderer anymore."

Is this a known problem with KS?  Or might my problem be somewhere else?

This is an intermittent problem, so I'm having problems tracking it down.  A simple "stop using KS and see if the problem stops" is not very helpful for a once every few days problem    I like KS because it uses less CPU than directsound or waveout, at least according to windows 2000 taskbar.

Kernel Streaming

Reply #1
Stop using KS and see if the problem stops.

Kernel Streaming

Reply #2
That's not very helpful

Kernel Streaming

Reply #3
But does the CPU usage really matter?  I mean, you've probably got plenty of idle CPU time, unless you're doing something like seti@home or running encoders in the background.  Using this kind of logic, I should run my Pentium M at 1.6 GHz all the time so the % CPU usage is lower :B

Kernel Streaming

Reply #4
Create some script/batch file that 1st shuts down fb2k and then calls mpc.
Assign all video file formats that you play back with mpc to this file and use links to it e.g. on desktop for drag'n'drop. Should do what you need
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Kernel Streaming

Reply #5
Firstly, there's this little disclaimer at the bottom of the KS Output dialog window in Foobar2000's Preferences.

Secondly, if you choose to ignore this disclaimer, then the only other factor in the problem is your sound card drivers.

Kernel Streaming

Reply #6
Your sound card probably does not support hardware mixing.

Kernel streaming bypasses the windows software mixer, and as a result any other applications are unable to play sound.

However, if you're having this issue when foobar2000 is closed, it must be a problem with your drivers. You may want to try updating them to the last version or playing with "hardware acceleration" settings in control panel - sounds and audio devices.

If none of this helps, you should stop using kernel streaming.

Kernel Streaming

Reply #7
I use foobar2000 and Media Player Classic at the same time all the time.

It has never given me a problem.