Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 v0.8 beta (Read 92025 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar2000 v0.8 beta

Reply #25
- file modification time tracking, goodbye "reload file info"

is it possible to disable this feature, or force foobar2000 to believe that all entries in database are already updated? since sometimes i enable the "don't write modified tags to files" feature and let tags stay in database only, this feature is reloading all old tags from file, overwriting database info (many hours of typing).

edit: thx Moneo, save to fpl with 0.7 then open with 0.8 worked
edit2: nope, doesn't work after restarting fb2k

foobar2000 v0.8 beta

Reply #26
The total progress in the new ReplayGain scanner is not being updated on my computer here at all...

foobar2000 v0.8 beta

Reply #27
Most people use the Edonkey network (through the eMule client). It would be nice to have ed2k hashes instead of bittorrent links.

Heh  I didn't even know the old edonkey network still existed.  Its been years since I've heard of it.

Anyway, great work peter.  I'm trying it out.

foobar2000 v0.8 beta

Reply #28
I really really appreciate that foobar sticks to one playlist now regardless of which one you're on, that alone is worth the upgrade  However, I do have a small request to make... could you add an indicator on the currently playing playlist? You could make it optional if people really complain or whatever, but a simple (x) or something next to the title would suffice.

Also, there seems to be some items missing in the new context menu config, namely the remove and crop items at the top

foobar2000 v0.8 beta

Reply #29
Also, there seems to be some items missing in the new context menu config, namely the remove and crop items at the top

Is this a joke?
You can put anything you want.
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

foobar2000 v0.8 beta

Reply #30
I think he means the Remove, Crop (and Sort, if you select multiple items) items that appear on top of the separator.

Running 0.8b1, installed over 0.7.7c, config reset once.

foobar2000 v0.8 beta

Reply #31
I hate to install program just to be able to download some other programs.   

How about you paying for 500GB+ bandwidth monthly ?

500GB a month! 
Then I better download a Bittorrent client and try it out..

Solaris

foobar2000 v0.8 beta

Reply #32
I renamed one of the Menu Item titles "Foobar2000" to "fb2k" but two things:

1- It still shows up as "Foobar2000"
2- When I click the "Foobar2000" the menu items no longer drop down although the item is in the depressed state.

I changed the item name in Preferences.

Special version with fresh install.

foobar2000 v0.8 beta

Reply #33
A few things about new Diskwriter:
I think that the Dither option should be put out of the "Output bit depth (lossless formats only"), since it contains "only lossy sources".
Also, in the "Output bit depth" section, shouldn't the "Preferred bit depth" option be disabled if "Keep lossless sources at original bit depth" is checked?
Oh, there's a typo: when you press "Add new" in the "Output presets" section, the window that appears is titled "Select file wirter"

foobar2000 v0.8 beta

Reply #34
Oh, there's a typo: when you press "Add new" in the "Output presets" section, the window that appears is titled "Select file wirter"

Another typo: If you have "Ask before writing" selected under Output presets, then the window that pops up on converting is titled "Select file wirter preset".

foobar2000 v0.8 beta

Reply #35
I've been thinking about trying the new beta but I noticed that foo_shuffle no longer works.  Is there a workaround for this or possibly a replacement that works with the latest beta?  "Random" doesn't cut it for me...

foobar2000 v0.8 beta

Reply #36
Most people use the Edonkey network (through the eMule client). It would be nice to have ed2k hashes instead of bittorrent links.

While edonkey might be interesting for people who use that more often than bittorrent, bittorrent is simply a much better suited solution towards distributing files like this.  It's more efficient (= much faster downloads), easier to use (if people use the default bittorrent client), etc.  It was specifically designed for this kind of distribution (though admittedly it works even better with much larger files), while edonkey was not.

At any rate, I don't see a problem with someone distributing the thing via edonkey, but I don't think it should be done to the exclusion of bittorrent or even so much advertised as an "equally good" alternative.  More people distributing via bittorrent will ultimately lead to a better experience than will be the case with edonkey.

foobar2000 v0.8 beta

Reply #37
i don't think switching to a bt only system would be a good idea, because some people are on university networks which ban bt and have bittorrent detection programs that kick people off the network if they use bittorrent, its sad but true, the whole technology is exceeding the ability of copyright to protect digital content so lets break technology attitude thats out there is really ruining it for us legitimate folks.
-Andy

foobar2000 v0.8 beta

Reply #38
I thought foosion was referring to specific SDK changes and hoped he'd elaborate as the changelog (which I did read) doesn't specify much about the SDK.

Sorry, I was too tired yesterday (and I don't have the time now), but I'm thinking about creating a small "tutorial" plugin that shows how to make use of some of the new features. It possibly won't be all that useful for normal users though.
The features I want to show include:
  • menu_item and menu_manager classes
  • drag&drop
More about this later, I'll post a new topic when it's done.

foobar2000 v0.8 beta

Reply #39
i don't think switching to a bt only system would be a good idea, because some people are on university networks which ban bt and have bittorrent detection programs that kick people off the network if they use bittorrent, its sad but true, the whole technology is exceeding the ability of copyright to protect digital content so lets break technology attitude thats out there is really ruining it for us legitimate folks.

The problem with allowing HTTP downloads, as was the case a short while ago, is that people severely abuse this system.  If people do not have to use BitTorrent, in most cases they simply won't because: a) they are too lazy to download the program (this notion can be seen already in this thread, b) they simply don't care about the kind of issues that we might be faced with regarding hosting costs.  They don't have to deal with it, it's not their problem, etc., etc.

There's a bigger problem related to this in that many very large sites simply hotlink to the files.  It's one thing to pay for bandwidth for users who are visiting your website, but it's ridiculous to have to pay for bandwidth for services offered by other websites, which offer very little, if anything, in the way of exposing the origin of these services (that the file they are offering for download actually comes from foobar2000.org and that one should go to this site for information on the program, etc.).

There are, of course, ways to work around the hotlinking problem, but none of them are very satisfactory.  The only real solutions I can think of to this problem are 1) requiring users to log in to download, which would also require registration, and just as much complaining if not more than now, 2) making use of HTTP_REFERER, also not a very good solution because we get further complaints from people who can't seem to figure out how to configure their browser properly (e.g., Opera) or use their "firewalls" properly, or 3) creating some sort of php session tracking system that would disallow direct downloads -- this would be annoying to code and would probably place even more of an unnecessary load on the server.

BitTorrent seems like the most ideal solution in this light, perhaps augmented with official mirrors from other people who would like to provide HTTP downloads.

foobar2000 v0.8 beta

Reply #40
As long as HTTP mirrors are provided, I don't mind the bittorrent links at all.

My school has banned all forms of P2P clients, which includes Bittorrent. First offense, you get a warning, which I've already got for using bittorent. Second offense is a 1 week suspension of my connection, and the 3rd offense is a semester long suspension of my internet connection. I'm sure many others are in the same boat as I am, unfortunately.
We're all just noise on the wires..

foobar2000 v0.8 beta

Reply #41
I've just put SHNs  into playlist, tagged them (I've tags only in DB for SHNs), and run conversion (CLI discwriter).

While foobar was converting the files, some of SHNs lost all tags (that happened at the very beggining of the file conversion).

foobar2000 v0.8 beta

Reply #42
I've run into a huge bug in the new beta, though I'm not exactly sure how to explain it. Here's a screenshot:

http://www.outrigged.com/misc/fubard.png

At first, I thought maybe I had forgotten to remove the ID3v1 tags, and that they were displaying the original metadata. But after checking with various other third party programs, I found that there were only one set of tags in my files, ID3v2. Then I thought that somehow foobar was pulling the Kanji names from the database, but a quick deletion of the database gave me my answer. I tried loading some English mp3s, which had never had a non-English ID3 tag associated with 'em, and the same thing occured. I then took a closer look a the tags, and noticed it didn't actually make sense. I also noticed that there were the same number of characters as the English filename/tags, and that there were square blocks in place of the spaces.

I also noticed that when loading a file, the metadata is shown in English for a split second, before showing up in Kanji. When I enqueue files, they show up with the proper metadata. And as you can see in the screenshot, all of the metadata is corrupted, including things such as the Date and Tracknumber, which should be unaffected by language reguardless. Also, Ogg Vorbis and FLAC files seem completely unaffected, they load thier metadata perfectly.

I'm currently running an English copy Windows XP Pro with SP1, if that helps. If you need any more details, just ask. I'd love to start using .8, the new menuing system rocks.
We're all just noise on the wires..

foobar2000 v0.8 beta

Reply #43
I have tried the new 0.8 beta 1 and works fine here. The interface is a great step as compared with the 0.7.7.

I am happy seeing that foobar2000 is evolving in the right way.

BTW, why not add Shareaza (www.shareaza.com) in the list of BitTorrent clients? For me it is the best, and supports also eDonkey2000, GnuTella, ...

foobar2000 v0.8 beta

Reply #44
I hate to install program just to be able to download some other programs.   

How about you paying for 500GB+ bandwidth monthly ?

I think that "special" version is downloaded most often  I have share rating for this file at level >16.0 (>30mb sent to Internet).

foobar2000 v0.8 beta

Reply #45
I really really appreciate that foobar sticks to one playlist now regardless of which one you're on, that alone is worth the upgrade

Hmm, maybe i'm imaginating things, but as far as i can see, the behaviour hasn't changed(and i'm glad it hadn't because i liked it). Maybe in the past you forgot to uncheck "follow cursor" and with the 0.8b1 its disabled by default on a fresh install?

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

foobar2000 v0.8 beta

Reply #46
lyx: of course. you have to have 'follow cursor' disabled, however it now plays next song it the 'playing' playlist, not the shown one. also, when you doubleclick statusbar, it does switch to the 'playing' playlist. great stuff

i love this new menu management ... screenshot

foobar2000 v0.8 beta

Reply #47
Would it be possible to add an optional cue file writing (with cdtext infos) along with the new single-file diskwriter, the way the modified foo_http plugin does it ?

Thanks in  advance
Yatta!

foobar2000 v0.8 beta

Reply #48
Double-clicking on statusbar highlights current playing item, even if it is not in the "focussed" playlist. (The playlist with the actual item receives "focus.")

Selecting "Playlist > Highlight playing item" from the menu works differently, though; if the current playing song is not in the current focussed playlist, then highlighting does not work. (The playlist with the actual item does not receive focus, if it was unfocussed.)

Could it be changed so that "Highlight playing item" menu changes playlist focus, please? Thanks in advance.. Foobar2000 0.8 is looking great.

foobar2000 v0.8 beta

Reply #49
People who need a direct link can try sites like Betanews, who provide HTTP downloads for this sort of thing. I'm sure many similar sites will have mirrors.