Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AAC Compatibility with iPod (Read 30310 times) previous topic - next topic

AAC Compatibility with iPod

well .. the 40 gig ipod has arrived and before it came i transocded  APE files into MP4. I used foobar and the FAAC encoder.
I used the following settings:
M4A extension
LC - AAC Profile

-- the files played fine within in iTunes, so i figured they would upload into my ipod. I was wrong. thus far the only AAC files i can get into my ipod are ones imported via iTunes.

question - what's the best way to transcode from the APE / MPC files into iPod compatible AAC. Ideally, i would like to use foobar and avoid reripping my files.

thanks.

------ got it figured out, using Foobar0.7.7b w/ foo_faac.dll and foo_mpeg4u.dll
-
encoded via Foobar through the _ foo_faac.dll _ > M4A extension
reload M4A files and MP4 Utilities > Optimize MP4 Layout (need foo_mpeg4u.dll )

loaded through iTunes and the upload to the iPod worked out.

Reply #1
I use foobar/Nero and iTunes will add the m4as fine to my Ipod, though the ipod has a nasty habit of crashing on these files once every hour or two.  What happens when you try and add them?

Reply #2
I use foobar/Nero and iTunes will add the m4as fine to my Ipod, though the ipod has a nasty habit of crashing on these files once every hour or two.  What happens when you try and add them?

im transcoding them now. just found foo_nero and installed the wmp9 direct files thingy so i don't get het msa.dll error.

they uploaded fine. gonna test this more. thanks.

Reply #3
question - what's the best way to transcode from the APE / MPC files into iPod compatible AAC. Ideally, i would like to use foobar and avoid reripping my files.

thanks.

Well, a bit off topic, but since I see you are also using MPC I would like to ask you to join me in asking apple to add (or allow users to add) MPC support to the iPod:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/show.php/showtopic/14419

It would be a better solution then transcoding to aac :-)

Reply #4

Reply #5
i just use nero to make mp4 files
renamed to m4a and
and upload with ephpod

work great no crashin on the music
Sven Bent - Denmark

Reply #6
Be very careful with the newest version of nero.  Two weeks ago I encoded about 1500 songs (batch thanks to foobar) with the newest AAC program.  The VBR profiles seem to produce incompatable files from time to time... incompatable with the ipod that is.  Though they play fine in iTunes, I frequently had the ipod crash on me (usually on the same passage in the same song, almost always within the first 20 seconds), or skip over the songs completely.  I thought it was the fault of my player, until I noticed that this problem was ONLY with AAC files.  It was then that I checked out these threads on Hydrogenaudio.

I have since re-encoded using FAAC, and haven't had a single problem since (other than a slightly more noticeable artifacting in the 128kbit range... Nero was harder to ABX, better tuned?).

I suggest you be very careful until this is sorted out... having to reencode (and remember just which songs I needed!) your songs is *not* fun.  It seems that other users are also experiencing a problem with Nero AAC encoded files and their ipods.
-CTB

Reply #7
I have since re-encoded using FAAC, and haven't had a single problem since (other than a slightly more noticeable artifacting in the 128kbit range... Nero was harder to ABX, better tuned?).

you used FAAC and it worked in your ipod?

cause i tried the FAAC encoder for foobar and the files played in iTunes but not load into my iPod.

Reply #8
Well, a bit off topic, but since I see you are also using MPC I would like to ask you to join me in asking apple to add (or allow users to add) MPC support to the iPod:

They will never do this.
They sell AAC files!
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #9

They will never do this.
They sell AAC files!

I thought they only earned money by selling ipods, not by selling AAC files. If this is true, adding MPC/Vorbis/... support could increase sales.
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #10

: P

Reply #11
I thought they only earned money by selling ipods, not by selling AAC files. If this is true, adding MPC/Vorbis/... support could increase sales.

well i doubt that apple earns _nothing_ with selling music on itunes, i guess they simply earn more with the ipods
I know, that I know nothing (Socrates)

Reply #12
well i doubt that apple earns _nothing_ with selling music on itunes, i guess they simply earn more with the ipods

They get $0.04 for each tune sold. The rest is spent on copyrights, bandwidth, marketing...

And the manufacturing price for an iPod is about 50-60 dollars, according to an article I read recently. I don't know if the figures are trustworthy.

Reply #13
Though they play fine in iTunes, I frequently had the ipod crash on me (usually on the same passage in the same song, almost always within the first 20 seconds), or skip over the songs completely.

Chez Wimpy, I've had the same problem.  I recently encoded ~1000 songs using the latest Nero AAC encoder (2.6.0.6) using the VBR-Transparent preset from within fb2k.  The files played fine in iTunes, but trying to play them on my iPod resulted in it just skipping to the next song (or crashing).

However, if I removed and replaced one of these songs on my iPod or used iTunes to edit the song's tag info (which in effect removes and replaces the song on the iPod) it played fine.  So the workaround was to highlight all of the new songs in iTunes and add a comment in the tag info.  Synch my iPod again and everything works.

Can anyone else confirm this problem?  Unfortunately, I never tried encoding AACs with earlier versions of Nero.

BTW, this is (obviously) my first post. I've been lurking around HA for the past two years - thanks to everyone for providing me with excellent reading and (relatively) unbiased information. 

-Aaron

Reply #14
However, if I removed and replaced one of these songs on my iPod or used iTunes to edit the song's tag info (which in effect removes and replaces the song on the iPod) it played fine.  So the workaround was to highlight all of the new songs in iTunes and add a comment in the tag info.  Synch my iPod again and everything works.

I found this to sometimes be true, but it isn't reliable.  It seems to fix the problem with some songs, but others would crash regardless of the number of times I changed the tags or updated them.  It almost always made the songs "readable" (for those that were skipped over compeletly) but the hard crash of the ipod was not fixed (in some cases).
-CTB

Reply #15
BTW, this is (obviously) my first post. I've been lurking around HA for the past two years - thanks to everyone for providing me with excellent reading and (relatively) unbiased information.

it's the same for me! 

i've just been anxious about my awful english...

okay, i've got the same skipping-problem. i'll try this method and will alter some tags.. hope this will work

jens

Reply #16
so .. even though itunes plays the FAAC files i encoded with foobar, it will not upload to the ipod because it has mpeg2 headers instead of the mpeg4 headers?

but there's a program that will change the bit order for it to be compatible?

on another note, the FAAC files wont upload to ipod because of the tags? That's myth right?

Reply #17
I can also confirm Nero created M4A tracks skip on my 10GB 3G iPod.

Reply #18
so .. even though itunes plays the FAAC files i encoded with foobar, it will not upload to the ipod because it has mpeg2 headers instead of the mpeg4 headers?

on another note, the FAAC files wont upload to ipod because of the tags? That's myth right?

which aac profile did you choose? you will have to choose the LC profile, cause only this is ipod compatible - i had the same problem with file, i encoded with compaact!, using main profile.

hope this helps!

Reply #19

which aac profile did you choose? you will have to choose the LC profile, cause only this is ipod compatible - i had the same problem with file, i encoded with compaact!, using main profile.

hope this helps!

LC -AAC from foobar.

Reply #20

Which version?  i'm on 2.5.9.7 and generally they seem to work (though my Ipod skips on some tracks).

Reply #21
woo .. ok i got it sorted it out. After reading various pages and such i got it knocked out. I've decided to stick with LC - FAAC

encoded via Foobar through the _ foo_faac.dll _ > M4A extension
reload M4A files and MP4 Utilities > Optimize MP4 Layout (need foo_mpeg4u.dll )

nice. now i don't have to worry about crashing Nero AAC files.

loaded through iTunes and the upload to the iPod worked out.

Reply #22

Which version?  i'm on 2.5.9.7 and generally they seem to work (though my Ipod skips on some tracks).

My Nero aacenc32.dll is version 2.6.0.6. What will happen, for example, is that the first song in an album will play, then the iPod will skip over all the rest of the songs in the album! M4A files that I made with FAAC or iTunes don't have this problem, so I am suspicious that Nero AAC is buggy somehow.

Reply #23
Could someone upload the skippy song somewhere?

I have a reason to suspect that the problem is somewhere in the MP4 file generation process - either in general structure or tagging info - but I need a file to check.

Reply #24
i cannot upload one but, if you want, i'll send it per email