Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Matroska Input Plugin (Read 31758 times) previous topic - next topic

Matroska Input Plugin

For playback of mka files in foobar2000.
Website

Right now only MP3, AAC, and FLAC (with updated plugin) can be decoded in foobar2000 v0.7.6.

Matroska Input Plugin

Reply #1
Do you plan to support chapters? I just tried mkvmerge to mux mp3 with chapters taken from CUE sheet, and foobar reports only first track (although it can play past that track). Also bitrate reported is 0 kBps...

Matroska Input Plugin

Reply #2
Convert to mka (witin foobar) would be very cool, like that new convert to mp4 thing that was recently added

Matroska Input Plugin

Reply #3
Code: [Select]
- v0.2
- Fixed chapter support
- Tags written correctly now
- Support for HTTP streaming added
- Fixed the last cluster not being decoded

Messer: It did have chapter support in v0.1 but I mistakenly like the code inside a
#ifdef _DEBUG
#endif
So that only the Debug builds I was testing had it. 

treech: Yes, I will be looking into that

Matroska Input Plugin

Reply #4
thx a lot jcsston
Allegari nihil et allegatum non probare, paria sunt.

Matroska Input Plugin

Reply #7
Messer: It did have chapter support in v0.1 but I mistakenly like the code inside a
#ifdef _DEBUG

Still some work on chapters seems to be necessary: this time multiple tracks display fine and I can jump (instantly - yay!) to any track I want, but if I let foobar play to the end of track it keeps on playing but does not actually change to next track (remaining time displays 0:00, %_isplaying% indicator still points to previous track etc.).

Matroska Input Plugin

Reply #8
jcsston does mka has support for replaygain tags? i tried to add it to a file but foobar locked up with 100% cpu usage on the end of the file
Allegari nihil et allegatum non probare, paria sunt.

Matroska Input Plugin

Reply #9
v0.3
- Fixed chapter tracks not stopping when it reached the end
- Replay Gain scanning now works correctly

Same place

Matroska Input Plugin

Reply #10
v0.3
- Fixed chapter tracks not stopping when it reached the end
- Replay Gain scanning now works correctly

Same place

Almost  After last chapter playback does not stop right away - it simply starts from the beginning of the file as if it were glued to the end of file.

edit: Nevermind. I've just reinstalled foobar and problem's gone. Thanks Jory, nice Christmas gift for all of us

edit 2: I tried to replaygain the MKA file with chapters, foobar had had scanned all tracks but didn't stop after last one so I aborted the operation (cleanly, without killing foobar). And now problem with last track is back again...

Matroska Input Plugin

Reply #11
This project seems really cool.  Good luck with it.

Matroska Input Plugin

Reply #12
I am sorry to say but due to the abrasiveness and anti-matroska fb2k developers. I am
discontinuing this plugin.

I am leaving the source code up so that if someone else wishes to they can continue it.

Matroska Input Plugin

Reply #14
I am sorry to say but due to the abrasiveness and anti-matroska fb2k developers. I am
discontinuing this plugin.

I am leaving the source code up so that if someone else wishes to they can continue it.

If reporting bugs is received as being "anti-matroska", then so be it. I'll maintain it myself instead, thank you for doing initial work on it.
I'm sorry if you found my actions offending, but I find the seeking issue highly disturbing on music I listen to, and I know others who agree with me.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Matroska Input Plugin

Reply #15
jcsston: Don't take it too hard. At least some of us users are happy for the idea of your plugin and at least i am waiting more from this.

Matroska Input Plugin

Reply #16
i can't find anything offending here in this thread. please continue working on it or at least explain what you find "anti-mastroska" here... i think this is just a matter of misunderstanding.

Matroska Input Plugin

Reply #17
I also like the ida of MKA files in foobar.

It would be awesome to be able to set up chapters for the tracks and include perhaps CD Cover images in the MKA file itself.

On a side note, is there any tool to convert a FLAC file with cue sheet and tag info into a MKA file with chapters and the proper tag info?

Matroska Input Plugin

Reply #18
On a side note, is there any tool to convert a FLAC file with cue sheet and tag info into a MKA file with chapters and the proper tag info?

Have you tryed mkvtoolnix? There is good GUI also "mkvmerge GUI"

Matroska Input Plugin

Reply #19
i can't find anything offending here in this thread. please continue working on it or at least explain what you find "anti-mastroska" here... i think this is just a matter of misunderstanding.

It probably wasn't posted in the thread, I think.

Matroska Input Plugin

Reply #20
Any chance of having the formulas for fixing gapless playback listed here integrated into the Matroska input plugin?

Matroska Input Plugin

Reply #21
I'm new to the Matroska container, but so far, I like what I see and what FB2K does with it. However, this is what I would *really* like:

If I have a CD with 10 tracks, I would like to end up with 1 (Matroska) file with 10 audio tracks. Each track would be tagged with the tracknumber and song title, while the containing file itself is tagged with the album title, artist, release date, and have the cover art attached. Right now, this is perfectly possible with the Matroska container, however...

In order for FB2K to play the file, I have to create a single audio track and divide it by chapters using a cue sheet. I'm limited to "MP3, AAC, and FLAC (with updated plugin)". (Is it not as simple as extracting the data and passing it to the appropriate codec?) And FB2K knows nothing about the container file's tags. (If I tag my chapters with title only and tag the file with artist, FB2K won't see the artist.)

While I can live with what I have now, I do want to say, simply, that this would be a nice goal to achieve.

Oh, and I do have one real issue. FB2K doesn't see the end of the Matroska file. It just keeps repeating the various songs within the file over and over, regardless of anything else in the playlist. (Sequence = random FB2K v0.7.6)
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']I wouldn't know a subtle hint if it stood on my desk in a purple dress dancing and singing, "Subtle hints are here again!"[/span]

Matroska Input Plugin

Reply #22
Oh, and I do have one real issue. FB2K doesn't see the end of the Matroska file. It just keeps repeating the various songs within the file over and over, regardless of anything else in the playlist. (Sequence = random FB2K v0.7.6)

That is fixed in 0.7.7a.

As for everything else, that is a good point.  You can tag things by Chapter, Track, or File in Matroska.  Technically, you could have several albums in one file using one track for each album.  Tag each Track with general info, and each Chapter with specific song info.

Matroska Input Plugin

Reply #23
True. Personally, I think I would find myself using one track per song and using chapters within the track to delimit movements (classical music...).  The question is, though, if FB2K will eventually support this and when, as well as support for reading both track/chapter tags *and* global file tags.
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']I wouldn't know a subtle hint if it stood on my desk in a purple dress dancing and singing, "Subtle hints are here again!"[/span]

Matroska Input Plugin

Reply #24
Just in case anyone is still developing this plugin - I thought I'd report that the Matroska tags applied by Foobar with the plugin are not valid Matroska tags.  See here for more information.

I hope this plugin can be continued and the seeking/gapless issues resolved, using MKA for audio works great.