Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What codec/bitrate/encoder do you use (Read 20707 times) previous topic - next topic

What codec/bitrate/encoder do you use

Reply #25
The "trick" is to convince the vorbis developers to incorporate the mpc psy model into vorbis II.

At the moment I am experimenting with a wide range of codecs:
EAC with MPC 1.15r q7
EAC with  flac
EAC with oggenc  Garf tuned q6
EAC with  lame 390.3 alt preset fast standard

EAC/nencode, Foobar 2000, or db poweramp with nero AAC  "transparent" preset

various ways of transcoding from flac to AAC or MP3

Obviously, I have not decided how I want to encode my present/future music collection.  At the moment I feel AAC is the future as it is under relatively rapid development and has the momentum of the iPod to drive it.

Reply #26
if the whole reason that MPC does so well is just a great psymodel, the dev's of vorbis II really should incorporate it so that vorbis can gain the entire user base of MPC.

GT3b1
-q5
EAC w/ oggencd

Reply #27
I use EAC for all my ripping. Secure mode with C2 error detection.

I use FLAC quality 4 for archiving my CD's with the standard FLAC frontend. I rip to a single .wav with .cue and then compress the .wav to .flac.

For use on my PC I prefer Vorbis. If I were ripping new material now for PC use I would use Vorbis q0. I pretty much can't ABX anything (I can only ABX LAME at 96kbit and I can tell if older mp3 encoders are used, like blade).

Getting a new Power Book G4 soon so I may have to go back to --alt-preset standard because I really want to use iTunes for library management but don't quite trust iTunes secure ripping abilities and don't see any point in QT AAC until it's gapless. (hint, hint Apple)

So to answer in short;

1) GT3B1
2) q0
3) EAC ripping, oggdropXPd v1.7.6S for encoding

Reply #28
So to answer in short;

1) GT3B1
2) q0
3) EAC ripping, oggdropXPd v1.7.6S for encoding

OMG, are you using Garf tuned version with -q 0?
XviD

Reply #29
My bad. No. I am using the standard encoder. I was tooling around with GT3B1 with q6 earlier. Again my bad.

Reply #30
as it is the point of "visual transparency" in cool audio edit's frequency loss analysis tool

Ogg Vorbis for music and speech [q-2.0 - q6.0]
FLAC for recordings to be edited
Speex for speech

Reply #31
Depends on goal, state of CD.

Either lossless (APE), MPC 1.15r -insane or latest VBR Nero (HE)AAC.

I don't actually use Vorbis any more. (I have a lot of -q6 GT3b1 material though)

Does it mean there will not exist GT3 Final? 
Speex for speech

Reply #32
EAC with Secure Mode and C2 error correction.
FLAC - quality 5
LAME -alt-preset standard
QT/AAC 160  depends on type.  Sometimes 192

Reply #33
de Mon:
"visual transparency" first plz notice the " "

Don't get me wrong, I don't claim Vorbis to be transparent at Q4 at all, I just say that if you compare the frequency loss of the various codecs in cooledit, at 128Kbps & above vorbis (& aac) don't have the sudden frequency falldown of mp3 (& mpc) ... at 128 & above Vorbis (& aac) globally look like the original wav with some small distortion ... this is only an information among others, but this info combined with the fact that Q4 is the last +16Kbps step & first +32Kbps step is what made me choice Q4 as my minimum  bitrate for my music use.

In fact I understand less & less why people are trying to find the "absolute perfect single bitrate", I prefer selecting range of bitrates for my different uses & these ranges are clearly:

128-->256Kbps Music Audio (The Full Range of Bitrates with a +32Kbps Increase Step) (with 160Kbps favored as 1: It's transparent for me, & it's stupid but it's a golden number: 8KbpsX20)
64 -->128Kbps Movie Audio (The Full Range of Bitrates with a +16Kbps Increase Step) (with 80Kbps favored as 1: It's 160Kbps divided by 2, & it's stupid but it's a golden number: 8KbpsX10)
(... so as you see my range for movie audio is also my range for music audio divided by 2)

I care less & less about my personnal preferences (40/80/160NKbps) as long as it's in the good range of bitrates for the use I make of it ... I'm quite happy with it ...

... but again for the weird expression "visual transparency" don't trust an image, trust your brain & hears ...

Edit: If it's still not clear: "visual transparency"="no visible frequency cut off" in cooledit ... this tells nothing about quality but can be usefull to guess if a bad vorbis rip is due to MP3toOGG transcoding ...

Reply #34
Does it mean there will not exist GT3 Final? 

I'm very sure there won't be a GT3 final. Garf seems to be working on other projects now that make it impossible for him to work on Vorbis.

Reply #35
OggZealot what do you mean by 'visual transparency'. If I understand you right I advise you not to bother with images you get in CoolEdit. Trust only your own ears.

Edit:
P.S. Not only your own. Guruboolez ears are always welcome 
Speex for speech

Reply #36
I'm very sure there won't be a GT3 final. Garf seems to be working on other projects now that make it impossible for him to work on Vorbis.

For those still in doubt about the possibility of GT3 final: Check Garf's profile.  (Seems to be no longer a secret)

Reply #37

For those still in doubt about the possibility of GT3 final: Check Garf's profile.  (Seems to be no longer a secret)

Why did he lose his Super-Moderator status?  He was a mod and a Vorbis Dev before, why is he only an Ahead! MP4 AAC dev now?
gentoo ~amd64 + layman | ncmpcpp/mpd | wavpack + vorbis + lame

Reply #38

Now that you mention that, what happened to your own Rarewares/developer status?

Reply #39

Why did he lose his Super-Moderator status?  He was a mod and a Vorbis Dev before, why is he only an Ahead! MP4 AAC dev now?

Garf didn't lose his super-moderator status. He decided himself that it's better if he's not a super-mod.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #40

Nice.  Well, I want to thank Garf for his past contributions to Vorbis development and I wish him well as AAC developer.

Reply #41

Nice.  Well, I want to thank Garf for his past contributions to Vorbis development and I wish him well as AAC developer. 

Seconded.

Reply #42
EAC Secure + Mppenc 1.14 @ --quality 6 --xlevel

Got some albums encoded with OGG GT3b1 q6

Reply #43
To stay on topic...

1) Vorbis 1.01
2) -q 8
3) EAC R/E

To deviate...

Eagle > Coming from a Vorbis developer, that says volumes

It does?..not to me. His (Garf's) falling out with xiph/vorbis resulted from what he perceived as a slow development cycle from Xiph, not because of any "real" (read intractable) problems  with the format...but don't let me put words in his mouth.

xen-uno
No one can be told what Ogg Vorbis is...you have to hear it for yourself
- Morpheus

Reply #44
When I use Vorbis I encode with official 1.01 @ -q 5

Reply #45
mpc 1.15 --insane with EAC ripping.

Reply #46
I rip with EAC Secure Mode, Accurate Stream enabled, no C2 or cache.

I "Detect Gaps", make a cue sheet, and rip (using "Test & Copy Selected Tracks") to individual APE (High Compression) files. CRC should always match.

After I've ripped to APE, I transcode it to MPC using Foobar, using MPPENC 1.14 @ --extreme --xlevel, and put it in my MPC directory.

--

If Vorbis II will be using the Musepack psymodel, then I will probably become a Vorbis zealot too!

Reply #47
Rips with EAC
1. MPC 1.14
2. Encodes using Speek's frontend :
--quality 5 --xlevel --displayupdatetime 300 --stderr MPC_Log.log
3. Tagging APE v2 using Case's Tag.exe + Speek's frontend

Reply #48
I thought this was a question about OggVorbis encoders?????

Reply #49
I thought this was a question about OggVorbis encoders?????

Hehe - no.
hello all,
i have 3 ques for garf, john33, quantum knot, tigre, and other big shots here:-
1. which codec do you use
2. what bitrate
3. which encoder
thanx

But thanks anyway - I'll move to general forum
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello