Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ogg Vorbis or LAME for 100 kb/sec DIVX video? (Read 4577 times) previous topic - next topic

Ogg Vorbis or LAME for 100 kb/sec DIVX video?

Okay,

Here is where you guys can plead your case format vs. format.  Which codec would you use if you must conform to 100 kb/sec?

mp3

Reply #1
I vote for ogg Vorbis

Reply #2
It's pretty much a known fact that Vorbis is widely considered better than MP3 in all bitrates, so I suggest the Vorbis route.
Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around.

Reply #3
Vorbis is better than mp3 now and the
RC4 will be even better, because they will focus to improve lower bitrates.
This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time!

Reply #4
Originally posted by nihues
they will focus to improve lower bitrates.

Yes but, IIRC, only bitrates lower than 64kbps.

Reply #5
thanks to correct-me, didn't know that

Reply #6
Sem problemas.

Reply #7
hehehehehehehe      :insane:

Reply #8
By 100 kb per second, I assume you mean kilobits?  The normal measurement for audio.  100 kiloBYTES per second would be lossless range.  Anyway, a couple things:

ogg vorbis loses quality when forced to work in CBR... but so does mp3.  And anyway, mp3 isn't available in cbr 100 kbps.  At least not in a form that'll play on most people's equipment.  Closest options are 96 and 112 kbps.  So if you're aiming for an average filesize of 100 kbps, you could use the lame command --alt-preset 100, and you could add min and max bitrate limitations to that (with -b and -B).  With ogg, you'd ideally use -q 2.25, which will give an average bitrate of around 100 kbps.  However, even using the abr or cbr modes, ogg will easily outperform mp3 at bitrates around 100 kbps.
God kills a kitten every time you encode with CBR 320

Reply #9
Don't the use the managed bitstream modes in any case, -b or -B, the physco-model that is used for them needs to be optimized and should be by the time RC4 is released, I would personally rather used the managed bitstream mode, but as it stands until the full RC4 release the normal mode of operation is the -q switch for the desired results, using the bitstream limitations mode will give you a warning.
budding I.T professional

Reply #10
i use vorbis sound at -q4.99 which gives me bitrates just below 129 for th emost movies

this shoud len theory give in 98% of the cased better quality then
lame -alt--preset 128

the reason i wrrote 98% is that in few very artifical situations vorbis eat bit without giving quality (fatboy/spahm)

but take note this these situatios are VERY rare to find in movie tracks (i havent found one yet)
Sven Bent - Denmark

Reply #11
Originally posted by rjamorim
Yes but, IIRC, only bitrates lower than 64kbps.

This was the original plan, but after some pre-echo bugs were discovered in the later RC3 releases, these will be fixed, together with some new better pre-echo detection routines in RC4 for all bitrates.