Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ABR or VBR for 100 kb/sec audio on DIVX video? (Read 2473 times) previous topic - next topic

ABR or VBR for 100 kb/sec audio on DIVX video?

Hi all,

My brother is creating DIVX videos from TV shows made from a TV card.  The audio portion's size must conform to around 100 kb/sec.  Now, from what I've managed to figure out, a "-V 5" setting in LAME averages out to around 100 when no minimum bitrate is used (-b32). 

My question is, would you use -V 5 or would you use --alt-preset 105?  The audio is going to be noise reduced, so the backround hiss will be lower, thus causing VBR mode to dip quite low, quite often. 

Which setting would produce superior sound quality for my purposes?  I've read opinions on ogg/vorbis.  The question isn't about vorbis, it's about the best LAME setting, so please let me know what that setting is based on you guy's opinion.

mp3

Reply #1
I think VBR would be better than ABR.

Reply #2
Originally posted by elfin
I think VBR would be better than ABR.

Not for MP3 at anything but high bitrates. (192kbps or above)

For low bitrates such as 100kbps, you should use ABR, i.e. --alt-preset 100