Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Off topic: Mozilla is going to final 1.0. How do you rate th (Read 25645 times) previous topic - next topic

Off topic: Mozilla is going to final 1.0. How do you rate th

Since about a week I'm using Mozilla 0.99 as web browser and I must admit that has the pros of MS IE and the pros of Opera.

Speed is very good and page downloading is smart as happen with MS IE (first structure and text, 2nd images and heavy stuff), I haven't archieved any kind of problem at this time and this free "Navigator" (GPL?) rolls from page to page very rapidly.
Also the page loading layout is always perfect as happen with MS IE o how it must be.
I have said pros of Opera because it performs quite good on slow machines, I think also due to a not excessive RAM consumption, about 20 Mb.

Months ago I have also tried Netscape Navigator 6 (Mozilla is a project started time ago entirely from sources of Netscape Navigator; but, trust me, now is a totaly different browser ) and as first impression it seemed to me even more huge and heavy than MS IE 6.0 !!!
So I have fired it out of my HD in few seconds

I met first time Mozilla at www.warp2search.net (great stuff news site).
Does anyone know any other good browser as replacement of MS IE?
"Taking a jazz approach and concentrating on live playing, I wanted to use several different rhythm sections and vintage instruments and amps to create a timeless sound that's geared more around musicality and vibe than sonic perfection. The key was to write with specific rhythm sections in mind, yet leave open spaces for soloing." Lee Ritenour

Reply #1
It has come to my knowledge that some people seem to have slow loading times (for example the HA front page) even with supposedly fast connections.

Then again people with DSL can start using the front page after 1 second and the page is fully loaded in 2-3 seconds.

I'd like to know what people think about the true speed of this site at the moment.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #2
rendering speed is very good indeed, but interface/startup speed is still a pain on slow machines (like my k6-3 400 is).

another good browser is k-meleon. it is based on mozilla, but stiped down alot. "kmeleon.sf.net"

regards; ilikedirt

Reply #3
Originally posted by JohnV
Then again people with DSL can start using the front page after 1 second and the page is fully loaded in 2-3 seconds.

This is normal, I have ADSL 256kbit at home and the loading time is identical.
At work, with 640kbit is faster but not as double.
I have also tried this site with 56K connection: quite good.
"Taking a jazz approach and concentrating on live playing, I wanted to use several different rhythm sections and vintage instruments and amps to create a timeless sound that's geared more around musicality and vibe than sonic perfection. The key was to write with specific rhythm sections in mind, yet leave open spaces for soloing." Lee Ritenour

Reply #4
Do anyone know which is the preferred browser by Linux Mandrake community?

Reply #5
I have a dial up and HA loads in great time for me with Mozilla.  About the same speed as IE, if not faster.

Reply #6
In my opinion, Mozilla is the best browser that currently exists, for the following reasons:

1. It's free.
2. It's Free.
3. It's extremely cross-platform.  It will run on almost any OS out there.
4. It has an extraordinarily fast rendering engine.
5. It has the most up to date and advanced Javascript (ECMAScript) implementation of all browsers.
6. It has the most compliant to the standards (and the least buggy) CSS1 and CSS2 specifications of all browers.
7. It has the most compliant implementation of the WC3 DOM of all browsers.

If you wanted to go further you could even say that the technolgies behind Mozilla are really great, stuff like the Gecko rendering engine (which can be embedded in non-XUL interfaces... check out Galeon or Skipstone on *nix, Q.BATi on MacOSx, or K-Meleon  on Windows), XPCOM, XUL, Rhino and Seamonkey, etc.

And finally, from a web designers point of view, Mozilla is a dream come true.  Things actually work the way they are supposed to according to the WC3 standards under Mozilla.  No more having to hack in little layout fixes here or there because CSS is broken or something stupid like that.

Reply #7
Originally posted by unplugged
Do anyone know which is the preferred browser by Linux Mandrake community?

I am almost certain that it would be Mozilla.
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

Reply #8
Mozilla is cool, no doubt but I personally reckon Konqueror 3 (Linux) is a better browser. Javascript seems work a lot better on Konq than on Mozilla. For example the pcworld site in the UK still wont work under Mozilla but does with Konqueror, rendering is nearly twice as fast.. also, Mozilla has a large memory footprint compared to K.

Either way though, it's great to see Mozilla hitting 1.0. Rumor has it that AOL are about to adopt this a their default browser which is good news for everyone, especially web designers IMHO.

Reply #9
Strange that nobody has mentioned this yet: IE has so many security holes! I feel like at least every month one major bug is reported. Somehow this doesn't happen with Mozilla. It could have something to do with the fact, that due to it's low spread, noone is actively looking for security holes. On the other hand, the Mozilla user base is very commited to making mozilla a secure browser. I fear to browse the web with IE. Only on some (imho) badly coded sites that use some kind of non w3c compliant html, I start IE. Some more plus points for Mozilla: advanced cookie management, better java-script managent. I let Mozilla filter all popups. Only the popup-links you actually click on, will be opened. This is more flexible than using a generic ad-blocker like webwasher since that will block all popups. Almost forgot: sleeek interface!
Since both AOL and Compuserve are planning to integrate the Gecko engine in their online software, expect many more sites become Mozilla friendly (AOL hasn't made an official statement yet, but with the ongoing quarrels with MS, I think they will dump IE)

Reply #10
Originally posted by Sup3rFly
Mozilla is cool, no doubt but I personally reckon Konqueror 3 (Linux) is a better browser. Javascript seems work a lot better on Konq than on Mozilla. For example the pcworld site in the UK still wont work under Mozilla but does with Konqueror, rendering is nearly twice as fast.. also, Mozilla has a large memory footprint compared to K.

The javascript engine in Mozilla is more advanced than in Konqueror.  I believe even the KDE people would admit to this. Only recently with KDE3 has Konqueror started catching up some with Mozilla in this regard.

The reason why some websites may work under Konqueror that don't work under Mozilla is that Konqueror also implements parts of the non-standard DOM that Microsoft created (document.all instead of document.getElementById which is the WC3 specification).  Mozilla has a policy (which I applaud) of not supporting non-standard implementations in this manner.

So yes, Konqueror may work on more (non-standard) sites in a few cases than Mozilla, but Mozilla is still more standards compliant and has the most up to date Javascript engine.

Either way though, it's great to see Mozilla hitting 1.0. Rumor has it that AOL are about to adopt this a their default browser which is good news for everyone, especially web designers IMHO.

Yep, I agree.  And supposedly AOL has recently started releasing beta software with Mozilla so it looks like it has begun already.

Reply #11
Originally posted by Gecko
I fear to browse the web with IE.

Strange, I've used MSIE since around 1995, and have never had a single issue crop up -- no virus, worms, nothing.  It does help to keep up to speed with patches, and set the security options correctly.

Some might also want to entirely disable wscript.exe by renaming it (I don't know anyone who uses it anyway).

Originally posted by Dibrom
So yes, Konqueror may work on more (non-standard) sites in a few cases than Mozilla, but Mozilla is still more standards compliant and has the most up to date Javascript engine.

Does "standards compliance" really matter when you want to view a particular website, and your browser won't render it correctly or at all?  I guess it's OK to sit & congratulate yourself on the compliance of your browser, and move on to the next site...

Reply #12
Originally posted by Dibrom

The reason why some websites may work under Konqueror that don't work under Mozilla is that Konqueror also implements parts of the non-standard DOM that Microsoft created (document.all instead of document.getElementById which is the WC3 specification).  Mozilla has a policy (which I applaud) of not supporting non-standard implementations in this manner.

Aaaaah!!

You don't imagine how so much I understand you, Dibrom
This is the etereal polity of MS, to put "hands" over all, even if without a good reason, to put his hands on any "quiet" and solid standard or format even if it doesn't need any change (or any worsening  ).

WMA, WMV and the MS Java (with Sun lawsuit) are other examples.
MS doesn't amaze anybody anymore, by now everybody know to unique target that it has... .

These is the story of a company that nothing has created (except the NTFS  ) but everything has overwhelmed,
and the story repeats every day...

Reply #13
Originally posted by fewtch
Does "standards compliance" really matter when you want to view a particular website, and your browser won't render it correctly or at all?  I guess it's OK to sit & congratulate yourself on the compliance of your browser, and move on to the next site...  

Standards compliance matters when you factor in that IE is not the only browser and Windows is not the only OS that are involved with the internet.

As for web designers that code for IE instead of for the WC3 specifications, I have absolutely no respect for them.  Not only are they actually hampering the proliferation of information across a wide variety of platforms (which is what the web is about), they are also endangering the future of a free and open internet by locking us into the grip of one particularly (monopolistic) company and their technology.  They are lazy, and have become complacent with this approach; it takes little effort to write standard code.

There's quite a bit of good information on this topic at various places such as:

http://www.webstandards.org/
http://www.w3.org/

Reply #14
Windows Media Player 8 is the unique application that takes 15 seconds and more on my machine :mad: to take off.

DESPITE THE HARDWARE SETUP, I explain more precisely:

Epox EP-8KHA+ 266 Mhz FSB VIA KT266
AMD Athlon XP 1600+ @ 2100+ 1733 Mhz (silver paint unlocked, mult. 12,5 x 138 FSB)
512 Mb Apacer DDR CAS 2 memory
The rest is on pair...

...and of couse: WinXP.

WMP 8 sucks, really sucks. :mad:
No software is able to kill hardware so hardly
(John33's compiled oggenc.exe encodes a 10,5x on my flying Athlon, nothing to add  )

Reply #15
Originally posted by fewtch

Your argumentation is right, but not considering the general context .
The problem is to research to the origin:
the problem is that MS creates the conditions for non-standard situations, this to grow his territory in the world of communications and to *lock* the community to his tools and thus creating a kind of user->company dependence.

Supporting this non-standard situations complicates life even more...

Example:
If you need to read and print a document you need Exel, not StarOffice... almost in major cases. This is dependence. In the case of Office and the world of business-communications this dependence isn't by now in any way reversable !!!!!

Reply #16
Let me add to the list of "reasons to use Mozilla":

- Option in preferences to disable JavaScript popups.

It's even intelligent enough that it won't (unless you ask it to) disable JavaScript popups that happen when you click on a link that opens in a new window; it just disables popups that happen "on their own" with no user intervention.  Quite useful.

Reply #17
Other thing is tabbed browsing, i think it's the only browser free that have this option integrated, don't know if netcaptor is free,but isn't a browser at all, sorta frontend for ie... but Opera isn't all free (only free if showing adverts)

Just one page I got really bad problems with loading, it's cdcovers.cc, you almost can't load the alphabetic pages, in some newsgrups they say that it's the bad code of the page, I think so... plus the bad site navigation...

For a week (since I downloaded v 0.99) it's my default browser!

Long Live To Mozilla
This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time!

Reply #18
It's even intelligent enough that it won't (unless you ask it to) disable JavaScript popups that happen when you click on a link that opens in a new window; it just disables popups that happen "on their own" with no user intervention. Quite useful.

huh, I didn't know about this. very good.....

Reply #19
I still have some problems with Mozilla up to 1.0 RC1 though...

1. The bookmarks imported from IE favorites have problems. All spaces become "%20". This problems occurs since 0.9.9 afaik.

2. Mozilla does not install correctly on Asian version of Windows. It seems the install routine is broken after 0.9.7. Mozilla is not installed correctly and a illegal directory named "......" is created. It cannot be deleted unless the hdd is formatted. This bug is reported to Mozilla, but it is not yet fixed. Unfortunately I forgot the bug number. The current workaround is to use a zipped build instead of the installer build.

3. When viewing newsgroups, some news topics are not displayed correctly.

4. When making a new mail/news message in Mozilla, the cursor sometimes stuck at a point and can't be moved forward or backward with the arrow keys or backspace.

Besides these problems, Mozilla is an awesome browser.

Reply #20
ok if the page gets displayed wrong in IE and right in Mozialla i can take it for granted that my code is real html ?
I need to know this because i am currently doing a page for my class.

Reply #21
Originally posted by Benjamin Lebsanft
ok if the page gets displayed wrong in IE and right in Mozialla i can take it for granted that my code is real html ?
I need to know this because i am currently doing a page for my class.

LOL... is that a joke? Of course you can't take it for granted.

A good way to find out if your page is "real HTML" is this: http://validator.w3.org/

Reply #22
just wanted to know for sure. I was curious as my old sites which all validate as html 4.01 transitional get displayed wrong...

Reply #23
Originally posted by Delirium
Let me add to the list of "reasons to use Mozilla":

- Option in preferences to disable JavaScript popups.

It's even intelligent enough that it won't (unless you ask it to) disable JavaScript popups that happen when you click on a link that opens in a new window; it just disables popups that happen "on their own" with no user intervention.  Quite useful.
Even better, there's an XUL program you can install which allows you to click on a toolbar to turn this behavior (and others) on or off: http://xulplanet.com/downloads/view.cgi?ca...ns&view=prefbar
It's is not, it isn't ain't, and it's it's, not its, if you mean it is.  If you don't, it's its.

Reply #24
That toolbar is great. I was lookin' for something like this. Thanx!