Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Storage options (Read 2585 times) previous topic - next topic

Storage options

Hi all,first post:eek: 
I just wondered what everyone actually encodes their music for!
Ok,I rip my cd's onto various formats,mainly mp3(usually a-p-s) using  EAC,but my reason is so I can have all my favourite music to hand when surfing without having to get off my lazy backside and change disc! (I also have a line out from the soundcard into my hifi) but I have made numerous discs compiled from downloaded files(shock)
Does everyone else rip and encode for similar reasons or for others? I presume some encode and burn in data format (as opposed to music format) as backups,any other uses?

Oh and thanks for having me

Storage options

Reply #1
I rip my CDs twice.  I use Ogg to store on my HD for easy access and Monkey's Audio for archiving and back-up.  If you want to back up your CD collection a loseless format (no quality loss) is the best way to go.  It's not as compressed as MP3s or other lossly formats, but I still get 3-4 CDs per CD.

Storage options

Reply #2
Originally posted by Sawg
It's not as compressed as MP3s or other lossly formats, but I still get 3-4 CDs per CD.
Must be some truely microscopic (short) discs... Average compression is ~30% so it´s even difficult to fit two discs on one, most of the time...

Storage options

Reply #3
Originally posted by Sachankara
Must be some truely microscopic (short) discs... Average compression is ~30% so it´s even difficult to fit two discs on one, most of the time...

Depends on the audio... some jazz/classical/books-on-CD get 4:1 or more.

Josh