Skip to main content
Topic: "Free Music" Websites needed (Read 4765 times) previous topic - next topic

"Free Music" Websites needed

Hi,

I'd like to promote free artists and music (Free downloads legally available), and after posting a comment on a slyck.com news-article, i got a free ride to advertize underground-music

What i do need are URLs to Websites, Webzines, Free Artists, etc.

Any ideas for which URLs i shall use?

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #1
Many Indie labels and bands provide around 2 songs of each release as a 128kbps MP3. Just take a look at Saddle Creek (Bright Eyes, The Faint, Cursive, Desaparecidos), Epitaph (too many to list -> Punkrock/Hardcore/Indie) or Barsuk Records (Death Cab for Cutie, The Long Winters, Kind of Like Spitting, Nada Surf, Rilo Kiley). Others utilize MP3.com, which I personally don't like, since it requires you to give an e-mail adress each time you download.
Last but not least Punkrock label Go-Kart Records has made several of their recent complete releases available as 192kbps MP3s here.
Even if you don't like Punkrock/Hardcore I'd advise you to read their letter to the RIAA.
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #2
yep, i do know that many artists do provide one or two tracks from their albums.... but what i was looking for was something less restricted.....

currently, i'm planning to name the following ones:

Soulseek Records
Go-Kart Records
Magnatune (not really completely free, but i do think they do deserve to be mentioned)

However - those are just three. I'd like to do a reply with a bigger impact(more sites, so that the message of "theres a whole world of legally free music out there" gets sent in a more convincing way).

Thanks for mentioning go-kart records - i nearly forgot them

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #3
Well there are a shitload of (legal) live show trading communities like etree.org, FurthurNET being one of them. In the end they all rely on BTAT.
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #4
I'd like to promote free artists and music (Free downloads legally available), and after posting a comment on a slyck.com news-article, i got a free ride to advertize underground-music

What i do need are URLs to Websites, Webzines, Free Artists, etc.

The killer one, updated every day, has to be No Error:

http://noerror.scene.org/

Baxter

Reply #5
Check out Archive.org's live music archive.  They have some fast links and the shows are lossless.  I've downloaded a TON of shows with wget.

http://www.archive.org/audio/etreelisting-browse.php
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled. - Richard P. Feynman

Reply #6
An upstart site is http://www.kdomusic.com which is based around legal music on the emule p2p network.
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019