Skip to main content
Topic: new pickings for this week (Read 3091 times) previous topic - next topic

new pickings for this week

My first post in the new forum....

Here's what I bought this week:

Tool - Aenima - Getting this cd a second time is one of the few twice-bought things in life I can justify. Thieves with good taste ransacked my home years back and Maynard Kennan benefits.  This cd is awesome.  say the magic words & NO EGGS.

A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step - Decent outing of Maynard Keenan & James Iha & I heard Twiggy Ramirez is on this cd which is great except, I don't own any of his Marilyn Manson cds, and I don't know what his real name is.  Either way this cd is good too. Not as good as the one above but good nonetheless.  Maybe Tapeworm will manifest itsself yet...

Massive Attack - Mezzanine - My friend short bald Brian, who touches himself mentioned to me that I should get this shortly before I never saw him again.  Pretty good dub, considering that in the six years since I've seen Brian and now I noticed that I've heard almost EVERY SINGLE SONG from this cd on various soundtracks, many movies and probably a commercial or two. What the F8ck is with that guy's voice halfway through the cd??

Plastikman - Closer - I love sheet one and recycled... maybe I'll get into this one too.... the first track just doesn't seem quite right... the rest is nice....

Have a wonderful day.

Jeff

Reply #1
Tool - Aenima
Massive Attack - Mezzanine

Terrific choices.
Not sure about the other ones, though...

I assume you already have Massive Attack's "Blue Lines" and Tool's "Laterallus"?

If not, time to trade some more of that hard-earned cash...
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #2
Yea, Tool's Laterallus (sp?) is my favorite work by them. I think it's a bit underrated and  you can tell that it's worth every minute people had to wait for it to come out. Tool restrained or something....  I don't have that other massive attack. I've always been into noise & stuff, throbbing gristle, coil... and I've only in the past month or so even bothered to give trip-hop a chance. I'll get there when I can stretch the dollar...

Jeff

Reply #3
give trip-hop a chance

A few suggestions for your shopping list:

1.- Portishead "Dummy"
2.- Portishead "Postishead"
3.- Portishead "NYC Live"
4.- UNKLE "Psynce Fiction"
5.- DJ Shadow "Endtroducing..."
6.- Tricky "Maxinquaye"
7.- Tricky "Pre-millenium Tension"
8.- Massive Attack "Protection"

Even though I recommended VERY FEW artists, all of their albums are good and there is enough "variety" to make them all worth buying.

I love them all!

Reply #4
I've had Ænima since it's release, and I concur...great album!  The only other Tool I have though is Undertow.  I got a gift certificate to Best Buy for my birthday this past weekend, so based on you guys' recommendations I'll be getting Laterallus, too.

Already on my list (from a variety of genres) are:

- The only Liz Phair albums I don't have yet...whitechocolatespaceegg and Whip Smart
- Any of Metallica's first three albums (not happy with St. Anger, but ...And Justice For All rocks...heard they went downhill with Load, so that's my cutoff point)
- Underworld (probably Dubnobasswithmyheadman)
- BT (either ESCM or Movement In Still Life)
- Hardware (Soundtrack)
- Lara Croft:  The Cradle Of Life (Soundtrack) ...maybe...I heard it wasn't as good as the first one, though (which I already have)

As for metal, I'm looking to expand my horizons with more "real" metal.  I like the industrial-metal sound a lot (like Tool).  Any other recommendations?

What kind of music is Plastikman, Massive Attack and A Perfect Circle?  Anything I might like?

Reply #5
- Any of Metallica's first three albums (not happy with St. Anger, but ...And Justice For All rocks...heard they went downhill with Load, so that's my cutoff point)

Absolutely right.
Metallica was on its prime on their first four albums.
"Kill 'Em All" is fast and furious, it is one of trash metal's seminal albums.
"Ride the Lightning" has Metallica developing their "marching band on steroids" metal a little further. And has their first incursion in "slower" material, like the song "Fade to black".
"Master of Puppets" is absolutely fantastic. I have no words for it.

What kind of music is Plastikman, Massive Attack and A Perfect Circle?  Anything I might like?

I think you would like this. Plastikman I have not heard, but Massive Attack and A Perfect Circle I like a lot.
Massive Attack is "trip-hop", this music combines slow, dark beats with strings and female vocals, sometimes slow rapping in low voices. This is slow, groovy music that is perfect for driving at night in any city (or for smoking "hazardous materials"  )
A Perfect Circle is a side project of Maynard James Keenan, leader of Tool. Its kind of a melodic metal kind of thing. I like to think of it as a "feminine Tool".

I think you should try them both...

Reply #6
I stopped by the used record store this week and picked up a few odds and ends:

Nervous Records presents The Soulful House Experience ($5.99) - nothing like a good collection of NYC/eastcoast style house

SouR: Exactly What You Think It Is ($3.99) - only because someone I know is in the band

The New Deal: Receiver ep ($0.99) - I already have the full album and like it and this has two non-album tracks as well as some multimedia content

Madonna: Don't Tell Me maxi single ($0.99) - There's one really good mix and it was only a dollar

New Order: Here To Stay promo maxi single ($1.99) - good mixes of the song they did for the 24 Hour Party People soundtrack

Rob

Reply #7
I think you would like this. Plastikman I have not heard, but Massive Attack and A Perfect Circle I like a lot.
Massive Attack is "trip-hop", this music combines slow, dark beats with strings and female vocals, sometimes slow rapping in low voices. This is slow, groovy music that is perfect for driving at night in any city (or for smoking "hazardous materials"   )
A Perfect Circle is a side project of Maynard James Keenan, leader of Tool. Its kind of a melodic metal kind of thing. I like to think of it as a "feminine Tool".

I think you should try them both...

Thanks for the recommendations!

I sampled a lot of music last night, and found out that my grrrlband kick is more serious than I thought.      I've been listening to an exorbinant amount of Liz Phair, garbage and Hole lately.  I wasn't too crazy about the Massive Attack that I sampled (several albums), but I really liked A Perfect Circle.  But alas, the more things I sampled, the more I realized my music desires are pretty polarized right now.  I haven't even listened to Pink Floyd for several weeks.  (*gasp*    Blasphemy!)

So, what I bought today was two Veruca Salt albums, American Thighs and Eight Arms To Hold You.  And Thursday I should be getting the ones I had to order:  Nina Gordon: Tonight And The Rest Of My Life, Liz Phair: Whip-Smart and whitechocolatespaceegg, Paul Oakenfold: Tranceport and Chantal Kreviazuk: What If It All Means Something.

The one trance album was the only bit I could tear myself away from the others.  After I sampled Tranceport I was hooked (even hearing it at 20kbps).  It's not most people's favorite Oakenfold album (based on AMG ratings), but I tried a bunch of them before deciding this one had the sound I liked the most, at least from the first five tracks.

I think out of everything, though, the Nina Gordon album is the one I'm most excited about getting...something was especially addictive about it.  Think early-Veruca Salt meets early-Liz Phair.  "Now I Can Die" sounds like something straight off of Exile In Guyville, while "Badway" would fit right in on American Thighs.  But the title track is like neither really...it's sounds amazing!

Reply #8
Tool - Aenima - Getting this cd a second time is one of the few twice-bought things in life I can justify.

Hell yeah.  Mine completely stopped playing one day, and I thought it was irrevocablly scratched.  I thought I might cry.  I was going to get a new one eventually, but it started playing fine again one day.  I guess it was just some crud.  Nevertheless, there's a big flac sitting on my HD just in case.
I am *expanding!*  It is so much *squishy* to *smell* you!  *Campers* are the best!  I have *anticipation* and then what?  Better parties in *the middle* for sure.
http://www.phong.org/

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019