Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: adding genre choices to ID3v1.1 tags (Read 3437 times) previous topic - next topic

adding genre choices to ID3v1.1 tags

How does one go about adding genre choices to the field in ID3v1.1 tags? There are a few that are missing which I believe should be added...

blugrass
alt. (alternative) country
jamband
demo
live

I know that genres have been added over time, and given the relative obscurity of some of the existing choices, hopefully these can be added without too much trouble...

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Reply #1
Hummm... problem is, the genre tags are indexed to a standardized list of numbers. Something like:

17 = Rock
80 = Techno
115 = Blues

And so on. You would need to first, add these new genres to the standard (Convincing whoever mantains the standard that they are needed), and then convince every player and tag maker out there to upgrade to the new standard.

If you don't do that, your songs tagged jamband could be recognized as "Death Metal" by some player out there.

Besides, the list of genres is limited to 255 entries (1byte in the ID3v1 tag). Who knows, maybe this limit has already been reached.

So, if you want to use different genre tags with ID3, the only feasible way would be using ID3v2.

Regards;

Roberto.

Obs: I found bluegrass in Winamp's ID3v1 tagging. I believe it's part of the standard. (Unless blugrass is something completely different  )

Reply #2
Besides, the list of genres is limited to 255 entries (1byte in the ID3v1 tag). Who knows, maybe this limit has already been reached.

it's not

So, if you want to use different genre tags with ID3, the only feasible way would be using ID3v2. 

agree. Describing genre with only one byte like in id3v1 is useless.

Reply #3
Originally posted by macdaddy

blugrass
alt. (alternative) country
jamband
demo
live

Does the genre live or demo exclude other genres like rock, jazz?

Reply #4
First of all, thank you for the responses...

I see that Bluegrass is in the genre selection-I swore I looked for it, and was unable to find it...

ID3v2 is not an option as I use musepack...

Does the genre live or demo exclude other genres like rock, jazz?
Yes- since live reordings have different attributes and qualities than studio tracks. Same with studio demos. While the music the artist creates might fit into certain genre, the demo tracks on which they are performing are inherently different. Additionaly, searching by genre for live recordings or demos, pulls all of them out-it describes the track recording technique rather than just the music type-personally l would value being able to make the distinction...

Reply #5
Originally posted by macdaddy
ID3v2 is not an option as I use musepack...

Can't you input a custom genre field in the APE tag?