Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: -q0 and -q2 (Read 4964 times) previous topic - next topic

-q0 and -q2

what's the difference between -qo and -q2 in lame 3.93.1?
is quality any better with -q0?

I have noticed that the encoding time is not much slower for -q0 (not more than 1 sec)

-q0 and -q2

Reply #1
Not sure what technicaly gives -q0, but probably it will give you some quality boost.

-q0 and -q2

Reply #2
I think I read somewhere that -q0 was disabled in 3.93.1 and set to -q1 due to some problems. Should improve quality a bit, but you should consider using the alt-presets instead.

-q0 and -q2

Reply #3
Magic75 is right, since the development of the alt-presets, all Lame switches have become obsolete for the end user, and should now only be used by developers.

Quality/size is optimized in the presets, that are summarized in the sticky threads at the top of the General MP3 forum (as well as the 3.90.3 recommended version).

Before you ask, the question about what command line does the presets use is answered in two threads of the FAQ

-q0 and -q2

Reply #4
-q0 and -q1 were supposed to use extra different techniques to achieve better quality. highly experimental and unstable and have not been proven to achieve anything yet. the --alt-presets all use -q2 which is tried, tested and stable.

-q0 and -q2

Reply #5
thanks.

i am using the presets, but i was wondering would i get better quality if i override the -q2 in the preset with the -q0.

for example:

lame --alt preset fast standard -qo

that will use all the preset options, but will replace -q2 with -q0

-q0 and -q2

Reply #6
thanks.

i am using the presets, but i was wondering would i get better quality if i override the -q2 in the preset with the -q0.

No, you won't.

I have something in mind, that q0 with preset standard is no good idea.

-q0 and -q2

Reply #7
Gabriel wrote (within the last week) what the q switches did. q0 does something that is very slow (1/3rd usual speed) and gives slightly smaller file sizes for the same quality.  I think he said the files should be identical, but I don't think that's the case, there are very tiny differences between files.  What he didn't say is "don't use these as they're broken"
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

-q0 and -q2

Reply #8
in my own compiled 3.93.1 -q0 is only little slower than -q0.

-q0 and -q2

Reply #9
in my own compiled 3.93.1 -q0 is only little slower than -q0.

What system / compiler / optimization did you used ?

May you provide a binary?
Thanks 
Vital papers will demonstrate their vitality by spontaneously moving from where you left them to where you can't find them.

-q0 and -q2

Reply #10
Gabriel wrote (within the last week)...

This was about 3.94, not previous versions

-q0 and -q2

Reply #11
i used windows xp. compiled with msvc .net 2002.

flags for the compiler:  /nologo /DNDEBUG /O2b2w /GLF6 /W0 /TC
flags for the linker: /nologo /RELEASE /MACHINE:x86 /LTCG

you can download a binary from lame3931.zip

this binary works only for amd processors because i have changed some standard functions used by lame with amd-optimized functions.

if you want a regular binary just say, and i'll upload it.

-q0 and -q2

Reply #12
i have uploaded binary for all processors.

lame3931-r.zip